multiple aways question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeDocteur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to apply for aways. Let me be the first to state that I know this is a crazy match, that I'll be lucky to match anywhere at all. That being said, there are obviously programs I'm more interested in than others.

Here's my question: the competition for aways itself is pretty fierce, with no guarantees of being offered a rotation slot. It seems smart to apply to multiple programs and then re-assess after some spots are offered. The downside of course would be that I have an embarrassment of riches situation and am offered more spots than there are months to do them. I hate the thought of doing that for two reasons: 1) it sucks to tie up a spot and thereby mess up another rotator's plans; 2) it feels like turning it down could serioulsy burn some bridges at that program.

So what should I do? Apply to 4+ hospitals and let the chips fall where they may, or not? Tx much.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you have to worry about whether or not youll get the rotation as much as where/when youll get the rotation. For example, on one of my aways i was placed in a hospital with a great case load/exposure but all the decision makers for residency faculty wise were at another one of the institutions hospitals.

I would worry so much about an "embarassment of riches" situation. I'd just apply to 2-3 schools that you are interested in experiencing. And I wouldn't worry if you had to turn one of them down for an externship. Trust me, theyll have plenty of people to fill that spot.

2) it feels like turning it down could serioulsy burn some bridges at that program.

At least at my school, the 4th year visiting student rotations are dealt with by the med school registrar's office, not by anyone in the residency program itself; if you turned down an away (politely) I don't think it would ever travel any further than that office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that all of the current fourth year students and soon-to-be applicants will argue with me, but since I'm a Chief in a Integrated program, I'll lend my advice.

1. I would counsel everyone to do ONE away rotation.

2. I would not argue too much if someone told me that they really, really, really wanted to do TWO away rotations.

3. More than two away rotations is complete overkill and is mentioned in rank meetings. It looks desperate. The discussion often becomes, "What is this applicant trying to cover up? Why are they doing so many visiting rotations? Are we missing something bad, here?"

4. Chairs and Program Directors in Plastic Surgery like WELL-ROUNDED applicants who demonstrate a strong interest in Plastic Surgery, but who also excel at other activities. If the only thing on your fourth year transcript is Plastic Surgery, there will be questions about whether or not you are getting the best education.

If your application is strong (good Step 1, good class rank, AOA, strong letters from known academic Plastic Surgeons, maybe some research), you will be in a good position to match.

The thing that you REALLY need to work on is your interview skills. This year I've been blown away by the inability of multiple candidates to articulate WHY THEY WANT TO BE A PLASTIC SURGEON!! You need to tell us why you want to do Plastics and make us believe that you will be a good colleague. You need to be able to talk about something besides Plastic Surgery -- Plastic Surgeons are people who have passions for art/food/wine/architecture/sports. If they only thing that you can talk about is why you love DIEP flaps and your research, it will be a short conversation.

You need to be able to talk about something besides Plastic Surgery -- Plastic Surgeons are people who have passions for art/food/wine/architecture/sports. If they only thing that you can talk about is why you love DIEP flaps and your research, it will be a short conversation.

Which is yet another reason this is the best field on earth.

What is truly expected of a 4th year doing an away rotation? And what qualities make him/her stand-out?