Multiple IAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dramatrauma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Right, these are all light IAs. I.e the kind that if you show an upward trend and explain why you were having trouble will be almost forgotten at DO schools. IAs that sink apps are cheating offenses, plagiarism, drug offenses, or events where police need to be involved.

Reactions: 2 users
My first several years of undergrad were crippled with terrible grades due to some issues I was going through at the time. I was stupidly stubborn and insisted on carrying on in school when, in retrospect, I really should have taken the necessary time off to recover.

These are the following IAs I am dealing with:
  • Spring 07- Withdrawn from University
  • Fall 08- Withdrawn from University
  • Summer I 09- Withdrawn from classes ("W")
  • Summer II 09- Withdrawn from classes ("W")
  • Fall 09- Probation
  • Winter 10- Probation
  • Spring 10- Dismissed from University due to a <2.0 GPA for the previous two quarters

After a year off, I resumed classes in Summer 2011 and have received nothing but A's since then. Fortunately, I was able to somewhat recover my GPA (cGPA 3.03, sGPA 3.75) over the past 3 years, and will be applying to osteopathic schools this cycle.

How can I possibly explain all of the IAs in my personal statement and, especially, the IA section of the AACOM app?

Edit: deleted some of the fluff

I did not have as many red flags as you did. However, I had a very rocky freshman year. My first semester I had one W, my second semester I changed my major and ultimately ended up withdrawing from school a week later. I took a semester off and came back and had a 4.0 for the rest of my time in college.

I was asked about my freshman year in my interviews. I told them the truth. I had to leave for personal reasons. My parents ended up pulling me out. I did not want to leave, but looking back it was the absolute best thing I could have done. I told them this in my interview, told them what I learned from it and how it made me a better student. I was told that my answer was very mature and that I answered any questions they had!

So just be honest. Tell them what you learned. Everyone has mistakes in their past but its what you do going forward that matters

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do NOT explain in the PS; save for the box for IAs and secondaries. Just state what you have below, and you'll be fine. I've had a good number of students who went through exactly what you went through.

My first several years of undergrad were crippled with terrible grades due to some issues I was going through at the time. I was stupidly stubborn and insisted on carrying on in school when, in retrospect, I really should have taken the necessary time off to recover.

Best way? What exactly happened (not asking you), and what did you learn from it that will help you in becoming a physician....you have to kind of play the lawyer part here and prove yourself leaving no doubt.....

I am not admitted to DO school yet, but I was in MD school at one point in my life.....so I can relate, but mine was more for health reasons....

But good job on that science GPA....again, whatever happened, happened, you just need to write it out in words as to what did you exactly learn from this?

Thank you for the words of encouragement! However, I am terrible at spinning things to make them sound a little better than they were. Is there anything in particular I should write?

Do NOT explain in the PS; save for the box for IAs and secondaries. Just state what you have below, and you'll be fine. I've had a good number of students who went through exactly what you went through.

Would there be any need for me to elaborate on what I was going through? Or should I just save that for the interviews (if asked)?

Also, definitely no need to add anything in the PS even though it was several years' worth of bad grades?

No dont mention it in PS, thats for secondaries....thats the point of primaries.....to see if you make the numerical cut....then they look at you holistically......thats where you can really shine....

If you want to elaborate what the issues were in the explanation box, that's fine (ex. developed ulcerative colitis or mom got cancer). You definite;y WILL be asked about the IAs in interviews, so be prepared to explain them.

Would there be any need for me to elaborate on what I was going through? Or should I just save that for the interviews (if asked)?

I advise never to explain anything bad in the PS because no matter how it's done, it's always comes across as an excuse, not an explanation.

Also, definitely no need to add anything in the PS even though it was several years' worth of bad grades?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I know a guy who was expelled from a university for maintaining a <2.0 GPA, and then landed himself on academic probation during his final semester of grad school.

He still got into one of his top choice DO schools by being incredibly good looking and selling himself well during the interview. You should try to do those things as well.

I know a guy who was expelled from a university for maintaining a <2.0 GPA, and then landed himself on academic probation during his final semester of grad school.

He still got into one of his top choice DO schools by being incredibly good looking and selling himself well during the interview. You should try to do those things as well.
Do you mind if I ask where he got into? Definitely going to work on looking fab and selling myself.

Do you mind if I ask where he got into? Definitely going to work on looking fab and selling myself.

Generally DO schools are very kind to people who turn it around. Do what the others have suggested, apply early and broadly, and you should be fine. Just make sure your list isn't only PCOM, CCOM, MSU, COMP, etc. that not only are competitive enough as it is, but also get tons and tons of apps (i.e. throw in some "safeties"/mid-range schools).

Generally DO schools are very kind to people who turn it around. Do what the others have suggested, apply early and broadly, and you should be fine. Just make sure your list isn't only PCOM, CCOM, MSU, COMP, etc. that not only are competitive enough as it is, but also get tons and tons of apps (i.e. throw in some "safeties"/mid-range schools).

My app should be submitted by mid- to late-July, and I'll be applying to Touro-CA, Western, AZCOM, ATSU-AZ, Touro-NV, and LECOM. I'm trying to stay as close to California as possible. Does this sound decent or should I add/subtract?

My app should be submitted by mid- to late-July, and I'll be applying to Touro-CA, Western, AZCOM, ATSU-AZ, Touro-NV, and LECOM. I'm trying to stay as close to California as possible. Does this sound decent or should I add/subtract?

Your list sounds fine. If anything, I'd just add more, but you've pretty much gotten all the ones close to CA. You may want to consider RVUCOM, KCOM, and PNWU (but that might be too North for you).

Again though, it really depends on your MCAT. If I were you, I'd apply like you've planned to that list (your list), and then depending on your MCAT, you could add some others.