Multiple MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erythrocyte666

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I look back, I feel like I bombed the 10/21 MCAT and might retake in Jan.

So do many med schools:
1) take the worse of 2 scores?
2) take the worst combination of 2 scores?
3) take only the first score?
4) average the scores? <---- particularly, this

Also, do most top-tier med schools do any/all of the above?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the mcat twice so I called some of the schools to understand how they view multiple mcat scores. For most schools they said either they look at the most recent score or they look at the whole application, whatever that means.

Members don't see this ad :)
5) Superscores MCAT (I know Vanderbilt superscores your multiple MCATs, but not sure if anyone else does)

I took the mcat twice so I called some of the schools to understand how they view multiple mcat scores. For most schools they said either they look at the most recent score or they look at the whole application, whatever that means.

It probably means they consider both scores. I think it's too restrictive to have a certain policy when it's really easy to just look at the two scores and subsections and see what happened. I've seen people make dramatic changes on their MCAT score. A 28-->36 is a very impressive jump, and that person would be very competitive MCAT-wise. Maybe there was something going on in their personal life the day they scored the 28, but it's clear they were capable of doing much better. If the school policy was to average the two, that would give the applicant a 32, and they are automatically in the bottom 10% for my school.

Policies like taking the best score or superscoring would absolutely work in the applicant's favor, but it's still not really considering the whole of the matter.

Reactions: 1 user