Multiple MCAT takers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SufiPoet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm set to sit for my 3rd MCAT. For a series of stupid reasons, I sat for the MCAT with minimal studying two weeks apart, and received identical mid-20 scores.

Now I'm stuck studying for this horrifying new MCAT. But I was wondering if any SDN members had experiences with 2+ MCATs and if my only hopes are going Carib, regardless of my score.

Members don't see this ad.

Combined with a somewhat decent GPA you should have a shot at lower-tier DO schools with a mid-twenties MCAT...

Combined with a somewhat decent GPA you should have a shot at lower-tier DO schools with a mid-twenties MCAT...
I mean I'm retaking it, and with my current prep I'm looking at a score equivalent to a 33 on the old scale. (510.3 is my average for the new one).

I definitely know I want to go the MD route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody will dismiss you if you show major improvement. There;s nothing you can do about the previous scores. Stop worrying about this and study.

Beggars can't be choosy.
Adcoms tend to be conservative and are gun shy of poor choice makers.
Some schools average scores.

You will need to A) do well. Really well. B) Do your homework and target schools that take the best MCAT score.

I mean I'm retaking it, and with my current prep I'm looking at a score equivalent to a 33 on the old scale. (510.3 is my average for the new one).

I definitely know I want to go the MD route.

Reactions: 1 users
Just look at the schools you want to apply to and see what their policy is on multiple takes. Some schools take the highest score, some average the scores, and some only look at the most recent even if it's not your best score.

I took the MCAT twice and jumped up 5 points so it was definitely worth it to me. The fact that I took it twice was only brought up once in an interview and he was impressed I did so much better.

You also shouldn't completely dismiss the DO route. It seems as though the gaps in career potential between the two degrees are becoming less and less every year. With either route, a doctor is still a doctor!

You also shouldn't completely dismiss the DO route. It seems as though the gaps in career potential between the two degrees are becoming less and less every year. With either route, a doctor is still a doctor!
No, I get that. And I don't want to come off as a pompous jackass who thinks that DO's aren't as good as MD's.

I'm just looking at the mission of the schools. I'm not really interested at all in Primary Care, and that seems to be where most DO schools are angling for. And as far as some of the more competitive residencies go, I'm not very comforted to hear that people know of "1 or 2" DO's that made it. I disagree with the system in that it's harder for a DO to get into these residencies than an MD, but that's just our reality, and I have to take it into account. If I'm going to spend the rest of my life doing something, I don't have a problem taking 1 or 2 years off prior in order to make myself the best applicant possible, to a wonderful school, that won't hinder me here or there.

And watch, I'll probably spend 2 years trying to get into an MD school, figure out I love primary care, and become a ped. Haha DO's can laugh at me then for sure!

Reactions: 1 user
I have a lot of information on multiple MCATs for schools. If you want it later on, just PM.

Just curious, but why are you taking it a third time? You say you had identical scores on the previous two exams. Why do you think the third will be different? I can understand taking it a second time if you feel like your first test was a "fluke." But a third time after to improvement on the second exam? If you don't demonstrate significant improvement, some might question your judgment with a third test that results in a very a similar score.

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious, but why are you taking it a third time? You say you had identical scores on the previous two exams. Why do you think the third will be different? I can understand taking it a second time if you feel like your first test was a "fluke." But a third time after to improvement on the second exam? If you don't demonstrate significant improvement, some might question your judgment with a third test that results in a very a similar score.

No I understand your question. I don't really want to get into the specifics of it, but I took the exam when I wasn't as focused, or stable as I am now. I'd just gotten out of an engagement, so perhaps understandably, my priorities were all over the place. I took my first MCAT May, 2014 and my second exam June, 2014. The reasons I took them in such close proximity to one another aren't idiotic, but to preserve my own identity, I'd like to keep them private.

For both of these exams, I skimmed EK books, and took 2 AAMC practice tests. I did not study.

For this new exam, I've been studying heavily for 4 months, and know I can defeat it. But, I get that adcoms don't know my life story, and can't take some white jank out of my ear and see my emotions (Harry potter reference...anyone?). I'd hate to be judged for what was...a 3 month blemish on an otherwise really hardworking academic track.

I do not plan on speaking about this in my PS, and am still uncertain as to how I'd discuss this in my interviews, or if I'd even bring up the dissolution of my engagement. I think offering up excuses is a bad idea, and the fact that my engagement broke up, a rather uncomfortable one to discuss with a stranger. I think I'm going to go with, I wasn't focused enough.

No I understand your question. I don't really want to get into the specifics of it, but I took the exam when I wasn't as focused, or stable as I am now. I'd just gotten out of an engagement, so perhaps understandably, my priorities were all over the place. I took my first MCAT May, 2014 and my second exam June, 2014. The reasons I took them in such close proximity to one another aren't idiotic, but to preserve my own identity, I'd like to keep them private.

For both of these exams, I skimmed EK books, and took 2 AAMC practice tests. I did not study.

For this new exam, I've been studying heavily for 4 months, and know I can defeat it. But, I get that adcoms don't know my life story, and can't take some white jank out of my ear and see my emotions (Harry potter reference...anyone?). I'd hate to be judged for what was...a 3 month blemish on an otherwise really hardworking academic track.

I do not plan on speaking about this in my PS, and am still uncertain as to how I'd discuss this in my interviews, or if I'd even bring up the dissolution of my engagement. I think offering up excuses is a bad idea, and the fact that my engagement broke up, a rather uncomfortable one to discuss with a stranger. I think I'm going to go with, I wasn't focused enough.

Well if you do end up doing well, I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked at some point what happened between tests #1/#2 and #3. Just be prepared for an answer.

Otherwise, best of luck.

Why on Earth would you take 2 MCATS 2 weeks a part? If you didn't have your score back from the first one why would you take a second one? Furthermore, WHY do you think you'd do better 2 weeks later? SMH...

Members don't see this ad :)
Why on Earth would you take 2 MCATS 2 weeks a part? If you didn't have your score back from the first one why would you take a second one? Furthermore, WHY do you think you'd do better 2 weeks later? SMH...
Lol thanks bro, there were reasons, and not idiotic, but again, I was amongst a very recognizable group of people that had reasons for doing so, and I'd just rather keep my identity private.

I did exactly that and I improved 5 points. My first test day was really bad and I knew I could do better so I rescheduled the test immediately and did.

Hmm, I've never heard of any group of people required to take the test two weeks in a row (not sure what the reasoning behind this is??), but I'll take your word for it.

Going back through your posts it seems like you have the right idea about studying... If you made mid 20's without really studying at all I'm sure you can make 30+ easy. Just go memorize everything like the back of your hand and ace the next test. Bad previous scores won't help you but everyone makes mistakes - be honest and I don't think it will prevent you from getting into an American MD program.

I did exactly that and I improved 5 points. My first test day was really bad and I knew I could do better so I rescheduled the test immediately and did.
Nice, two weeks and a 5 pt improvement is pretty boast worthy imo!

Nice, two weeks and a 5 pt improvement is pretty boast worthy imo!

Thanks, although it really was because my first test day was just bad. I got sick the week of my test and decided to just take it anyway and couldn't concentrate at all. Second time I got the score that I had been getting on my practice tests.

It sounds like you're on the right track - studying hard and learning the material well. If you do well enough on the new MCAT, you should have a chance for some MD schools. Just put your heart and soul into this thing and destroy it.

I also took the MCAT exam two weeks apart. Unfortunately, the first time I took it there were testing center issues such as the exam shutting down for an extended period of time before being re-booted and other issues. I re-took the exam two weeks afterwards as a result.

Accordingly, my first exam went poorly, but my second exam went up by a decent number of points. Furthermore, AAMC provided letters addressed to admissions describing the circumstances surrounding my first test date. Is it advisable to send these letters to each school I am applying to so they can understand why I took the exam two weeks apart? Or should I only send it if the schools end up considering me and then decide to ask why I have two closely spaced scores during an interview?

Any thoughts would be helpful! Thank you!

I also took the MCAT exam two weeks apart. Unfortunately, the first time I took it there were testing center issues such as the exam shutting down for an extended period of time before being re-booted and other issues. I re-took the exam two weeks afterwards as a result.

Accordingly, my first exam went poorly, but my second exam went up by a decent number of points. Furthermore, AAMC provided letters addressed to admissions describing the circumstances surrounding my first test date. Is it advisable to send these letters to each school I am applying to so they can understand why I took the exam two weeks apart? Or should I only send it if the schools end up considering me and then decide to ask why I have two closely spaced scores during an interview?

I too am wondering this. I had done pretty well my first time taking the MCAT but retook to bring up a 124 CARS. On my second attempt, it was literally a party in my exam room (fire alarm, people typing really loud, people moving in and out) and I knew I did poorly and I did. I retook the exam a third time a month later and went up 5 points, this time with a 127 CARS. I have letters from the AAMC explaining this second attempt debacle, but I wonder how much weight they will put towards these letters. I mean, is it realistic that someone can go up 5 points in 1 month? I doubt so I hope they put more weight towards my most recent score.

I've been repeatedly told that sending these letters is making excuses for yourself. You should have either handled the issue or voided your exam on the test day.

I've been repeatedly told that sending these letters is making excuses for yourself. You should have either handled the issue or voided your exam on the test day.
I really don't see why it's viewed that way because you have to reach out to the AAMC about your incident within 5 days of your test... aka before you even know your score. If it were the case you can get these letters somehow after, then yes, I would agree it looks like you're making an excuse for doing poorly.

Old thread and all but I don't understand why people don't void their exam when they know they did poorly to the point that they immediately reschedule...
Mainly because people always say "never void" and "I thought I bombed it and got a 520+ etc." Also, I had a trip planned and didn't have time to retake it. Upon receiving my lower score, I had to leave my trip early and ended up in a financial headache.

Old thread and all but I don't understand why people don't void their exam when they know they did poorly to the point that they immediately reschedule...

I completely understand both of your points. The reason I didn't void the first exam was because for a few of the schools that I was applying to, that was the last testing day they would accept for applications this year. So I needed to have an MCAT score for them. Unfortunately, I also didn't know if I would be able to get another spot for the MCAT as spots were all filled up. By chance, a spot opened up on the day of the deadline. And as MDPedigree mentioned, I've always found my MCAT practice scores to reflect differently from how I felt about the exam, so it was a game-time decision.

Last edited:
I completely understand both of your points. The reason I didn't void the first exam was because for a few of the schools that I was applying to, that was the last testing day they would accept for applications this year. So I needed to have an MCAT score for them. Unfortunately, I also didn't know if I would be able to get another spot for the MCAT as spots were all filled up. By chance, a spot opened up on the day of the deadline. And as MDPedigree mentioned, I've always found my MCAT practice scores to reflect differently from how I felt about the exam, so it was a game-time decision.

I would make a post about this in general preallo because you'd get the most amount of responses and Id tag adcom members like LizzyM and goro. Best of luck! :)