General Admissions & OTCAS Multiple Questions About OTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOT17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a couple questions that I have been trying really hard to figure out on my own, but I need some help:

1.) How long was your personal statement in the end? I misread the instructions and thought the limit was 3,500 characters and after double checking it says 7,500 characters. I already had an essay composed, but I know I should expand. But by how much?

2.) Is there an easy way that I can't figure out to print out our applications? I'd like to recheck/have someone else check it.

3.) I am torn on how to list the research study I conducted last Spring. I know that under the "Activities, Accomplishments, and Recognitions" section there are tabs for both "Research Experience" and also "Publications, Presentations, and Posters". I had originally listed that I presented my study at my college's Undergraduate Research Symposium. Would it be redundant if I went and put the details of the study in the "Research Experience" tab and then discuss the actual experience of presenting the study in the "Publications, Presentations and Posters" tab? I really don't want to screw this up because I know how important research experience is.

4.) Not OTCAS related, but still curious: What is the cheapest program (not just school costs, but cost of living as well)? I currently live in Pennsylvania, but would prefer to go out of state.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I must admit I feel like I am way behind because I haven't submitted to OTCAS yet. I thought I would be done by now, but certain circumstances have delayed the process. Anyone else not submitted yet? :/

Members don't see this ad.

1. My personal statement was 7499 characters lol
2. Not sure about this .. I just went thru each individual section one by one
3. List the research component under Research (put what you did and everything) then put the actual presentation part under publications and presentations. You can definitely separate these to go into the two categories in my opinion
4.Idk but I live in PA too so if you find a cheap school let me know!! I am willing to go out of state too!

I submitted 9/15 and was verified yesterday. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! Talk about being exact with your personal statement. I am thinking I will end up getting on the upper limit when I'm finished.

Right now, one of the cheaper programs that I have found is East Carolina University. The out-of-state tuition is reasonable ($20,000-25,000 I believe) and you can find really nice apartments for between $450 and $600. I toured the program this summer and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, the program is very competitive and I don't think I have the stats to get in. Fingers crossed!

Where all did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Jefferson, Philly U, Temple, University of the Sciences, Brenau, Nova-Southeastern, Shenandoah, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Salus and Mary Baldwin

Glad to hear you finally got verified sb0106! Good Luck! I don't know how many characters my personal statement was but I do know that it was a page and one of the PA-C's I work with said that you don't want anything longer than a page...hope that helps a little bit. Think about how many statements admissions are reading on a daily basis. You want something that stands out and gets to the point!

Glad to hear you finally got verified sb0106! Good Luck! I don't know how many characters my personal statement was but I do know that it was a page and one of the PA-C's I work with said that you don't want anything longer than a page...hope that helps a little bit. Think about how many statements admissions are reading on a daily basis. You want something that stands out and gets to the point!

Thanks so much! I am sitting at just over a page. Guess I will have to look around for something to cut out.

I can comment on the "cheapest school" request, as this is something I've looked into. For an out-of-state resident, San Jose State is $8,110/semester, and that includes all fees. It's about half that much if you live in-state. I imagine the cost of living is quite high in San Jose, but you never know.

The price you listed for East Carolina, is that for the whole program, or one year?

I've never considered California because I figured the cost of living would be too high. That price is for the entire year, which I think is very good for an out-of-state school.

Once your application is verified, is it OTCAS or the graduate program that notifies you that your application has been received? I just want to make sure my application was actually sent out. I got the email from OTCAS today that my application was verified :)

Once your application is verified, is it OTCAS or the graduate program that notifies you that your application has been received? I just want to make sure my application was actually sent out. I got the email from OTCAS today that my application was verified :)

Not all schools will tell you if your app was received, especially since many are receiving 100s of apps. I STRONGLY suggest sending an email to each school's admissions counselor checking to make sure they received it and that nothing else is required from you (some have supplemental apps/essays, require GRE scores be sent to them directly, etc.) That looks professional and like you are on top of things to the admissions counselor, and gives you piece of mind about your applications, so its a win-win! You definitely don't want to be that person who finds out too late that some important part of the application was never received or was lost, as does occasionally happen. Best of luck!

Not all schools will tell you if your app was received, especially since many are receiving 100s of apps. I STRONGLY suggest sending an email to each school's admissions counselor checking to make sure they received it and that nothing else is required from you (some have supplemental apps/essays, require GRE scores be sent to them directly, etc.) That looks professional and like you are on top of things to the admissions counselor, and gives you piece of mind about your applications, so its a win-win! You definitely don't want to be that person who finds out too late that some important part of the application was never received or was lost, as does occasionally happen. Best of luck!

Thanks. I just wasn't sure. For all the schools I have applied to so far I've read their admission pages probably 30 times. GRE scores have already been sent and supplemental applications have already been submitted. I will touch base with them, but I also don't want to come off as that annoying applicant.