Multiple school transfers, 26 MCAT. Your help is greatly appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member10billion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since 4th grade, I have known that I wanted to be a doctor.
My first year of college I applied to nursing school, hoping that the clinical experiece of a nurse would help me with my med school app. However, due to a lack of organization, (I was SUPER mad) the administration lost my application. I had a 3.5c and a 3.6s GPA. I said "forget you, school!" and transferred to another college.

My second year of college, I went to a fundamentalist Christian university, which I later found out was definitely not my cup of tea. I did awful with all the religion classes and philosophy, and only took general biology and psychology as my sciences... ended up with a 3.1c and 2.97s GPA.

I took one calculus class at a CC and got a 4.0 there.

Finally, I transferred out of the Christian school to a different school, where I had a 3.5c and a 3.38s. So, I did horrible in philosophy, physics (ended up with C's) but aced all but 2 (stupid embryology!) of my upper division bio courses (had a 3.9 upper division science GPA). Worked my butt off for this.

Overall, my cGPA is 3.32 and my sGPA is 3.39.

Now I am in graduate school for my MPH and doing fairly well. Grades come out at the end of the month.

My MCAT score is a 26.

So, SDN, what are my chances of medical (MD or DO) school? I am applying to as many schools as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

MD schools, no chance. You're best best will probably be in some, not all, DO programs, especially the newest ones. You had better bone up on your interview skills; your explanations below reek of poor choice making, and we tend to be allergic to that.

For example, going to nursing school solely to gain clinical skills to make you "look good" shows a lack of committment and frankly, an unprofessional attitude. Being an EMT or in any other allied health field would have been far better, and easier to do.

Stellar performance in the MPH program wil go a long way to polishing you up.

Since 4th grade, I have known that I wanted to be a doctor.
My first year of college I applied to nursing school, hoping that the clinical experiece of a nurse would help me with my med school app. However, due to a lack of organization, (I was SUPER mad) the administration lost my application. I had a 3.5c and a 3.6s GPA. I said "forget you, school!" and transferred to another college.

My second year of college, I went to a fundamentalist Christian university, which I later found out was definitely not my cup of tea. I did awful with all the religion classes and philosophy, and only took general biology and psychology as my sciences... ended up with a 3.1c and 2.97s GPA.

I took one calculus class at a CC and got a 4.0 there.

Finally, I transferred out of the Christian school to a different school, where I had a 3.5c and a 3.38s. So, I did horrible in philosophy, physics (ended up with C's) but aced all but 2 (stupid embryology!) of my upper division bio courses (had a 3.9 upper division science GPA). Worked my butt off for this.

Overall, my cGPA is 3.32 and my sGPA is 3.39.

Now I am in graduate school for my MPH and doing fairly well. Grades come out at the end of the month.

My MCAT score is a 26.

So, SDN, what are my chances of medical (MD or DO) school? I am applying to as many schools as I can.