Murdoch 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hina Pervez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get accepted to Murdoch university for Feb 2014?? I need a deferment and i've been emailing the admissions team for the past two weeks. Does anyone know the process of a deferment? And are there any downsides to deferring? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get accepted to Murdoch university for Feb 2014?? I need a deferment and i've been emailing the admissions team for the past two weeks. Does anyone know the process of a deferment? And are there any downsides to deferring? Thank you!

Do you attend murdoch? Do you mind answering some questions about their admissions requirements, having trouble communicating with them.

Do you attend murdoch? Do you mind answering some questions about their admissions requirements, having trouble communicating with them.
I do not attend just yet but I can try to answer some admissions questions. I will be starting February 2015.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not attend just yet but I can try to answer some admissions questions. I will be starting February 2015.

Congratulations! And thank you. So I have been in correspondence with admissions but they sent me the info for the wrong program lol. I want to know what the academic requirements are for application. My bachelor's degree is in an unrelated field but I also have 3 semesters of a tech program and a great amount of experience working as a vet assistant and volunteering etc. Are there specific prerequisite requirements as well as gpa and gre?

I remember trying to find requirements when I was planning to apply, I'm not entirely sure what they are and Hina will probably give you a better answer, but I did take a look at this page: http://www.aavmc.org/murdoch.aspx which says a few things about it's requirements.

On the actual Murdoch website under the international tab about qualifying and applying it also says: "High achieving school leavers will be offered a place in the first year of the 5 year veterinary course. The first year includes units in chemistry (if not achieved at a high standard at school), cell biology, statistics, animal structure and function and animal production and handling. Selected applicants who have completed the first year pre-requisites will enter straight into the 4 years of veterinary specific units, while those who still have first year units to complete will be offered a place to finish those units before progressing.

Recommended school subjects include chemistry, mathematics, biology and physics. Recommended tertiary courses and units that will provide a suitable pathway are those that cover the first year units, particularly cell and animal biology and statistics."

Congratulations! And thank you. So I have been in correspondence with admissions but they sent me the info for the wrong program lol. I want to know what the academic requirements are for application. My bachelor's degree is in an unrelated field but I also have 3 semesters of a tech program and a great amount of experience working as a vet assistant and volunteering etc. Are there specific prerequisite requirements as well as gpa and gre?

Actually Cyndia did a good job in explaining some of the requirements. I also have a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, however I did complete my general sciences (statistics, biology series, chem series, etc) Murdoch requires that applicants complete one year of basic science courses. GPA absolutely has an impact, I would say to be competitive you should have at least a 3.5. as far add gre goes, Murdoch doesn't require it for admission but I'm sure a good score wouldn't hurt. Your vet tech courses may count as part of your one year of science courses and your experience will absolutely help your admission. Murdoch has also restructured their vet program curriculum so I'm not sure what type of impact it will have on admission requirements (if any). I suggest you go to the international part of their website and email the international department, they are very helpful. If you. have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Actually Cyndia did a good job in explaining some of the requirements. I also have a bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, however I did complete my general sciences (statistics, biology series, chem series, etc) Murdoch requires that applicants complete one year of basic science courses. GPA absolutely has an impact, I would say to be competitive you should have at least a 3.5. as far add gre goes, Murdoch doesn't require it for admission but I'm sure a good score wouldn't hurt. Your vet tech courses may count as part of your one year of science courses and your experience will absolutely help your admission. Murdoch has also restructured their vet program curriculum so I'm not sure what type of impact it will have on admission requirements (if any). I suggest you go to the international part of their website and email the international department, they are very helpful. If you. have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Sorry, I'm assuming you're an international student.

It's okay, I am an international student and thanks so much for your help! :)
You're welcome, I too am an international student. If you need help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I'm from the US.

You're welcome, I too am an international student. If you need help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask. I'm from the US.

Did you use an agent? I know it's not required but I'm curious to see if it may be a smart option.

Did you use an agent? I know it's not required but I'm curious to see if it may be a smart option.
Hey there! I actually applied through VMCAS which is the official vet school application system in the U.S. I know someone who did use an agent for Melbourne university, but she didn't apply to vet school at that point. She did say it made it easier for her to apply,but I'm not sure if your chances of getting in go up.

Hey there! I actually applied through VMCAS which is the official vet school application system in the U.S. I know someone who did use an agent for Melbourne university, but she didn't apply to vet school at that point. She did say it made it easier for her to apply,but I'm not sure if your chances of getting in go up.

I don't think it helps your chances any, I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Some of the process is confusing. Just to clarify, the program provides doctor licensure, right? I've read on several forums that it's only a bachelors but I don't know how old those posts were.

I don't think it helps your chances any, I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly. Some of the process is confusing. Just to clarify, the program provides doctor licensure, right? I've read on several forums that it's only a bachelors but I don't know how old those posts were.

Yeah, it doesn't help your chances, but it might be worth it to help you get things done correctly if you're unsure about the process. I also used VMCAS when I applied since I was applying to a couple of schools, but it charges you quite a bit in fees, so if Murdoch is the only place you're planning to apply, it may work out cheaper to use an agent. Or you can try to figure out the application on your own, avoid fees and just send them lots of emails and phone calls to try to figure things out :)

In regards to your question on doctor licensure, as far as I'm aware it is a Bachelors degree at Murdoch (the Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery). They offer a DVM degree, but it's a 3 year research based degree that requires you to already have a degree in veterinary medicine. I'm a little hazier on what exact title the bachelors degree will net you in Australia (for example in the UK, a veterinary degree is also a bachelors degree, but then you register with the royal college of veterinary surgeons at graduation and you earn the letters MRCVS after your name). But as far as practicing goes, since Murdoch is AVMA accredited, you take the NAVLE like you would in any of the US schools and become licensed to practice if you pass and earn the bachelors.