MUSC class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhrugger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is going to call Charleston home for the next few years?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll always call Charleston home :)

Alas, I will not be at MUSC next year. I've put my letter in the mail declining the acceptance. It just wouldn't work out. :(

Congrats, and good luck!

I walked through pretty heavy snow in PA today to mail my deposit to MUSC. Sun, palm trees, and, um, gross anatomy lab, here I come! :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
annamarie said:
Sun, palm trees, and, um, gross anatomy lab, here I come! :-D

sun and palm trees :)thumbup: ) sure is better than the snow and boarded up homes in baltimore ( :thumbdown: )

carolina dreaming

Ill be there--live downtown charleston now...cant beat it. See you guys in june. ;)

Alright! Good to make contact with some classmates. I already live down here. See y'all (you'll get used to y'all) in August!

Cheers, classmates! I am a transplant from Chicago - relatively new to Charleston but hey, if February is this nice, I think I'll get along just fine. I want to start exploring the port ... so, any suggestions for what to do or general public service announcements perhaps from those who've lived here longer?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! Looking forward to meeting you all this year.

Dr_Fine said:
Cheers, classmates! I am a transplant from Chicago - relatively new to Charleston but hey, if February is this nice, I think I'll get along just fine. I want to start exploring the port ... so, any suggestions for what to do or general public service announcements perhaps from those who've lived here longer?

Congrats to everyone on their acceptances! Looking forward to meeting you all this year.

Charleston PR:

Beaches: Kiawah, Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms (all wonderful, with Kiawah being ranked as one of the best beaches in North America by several travel magazines)
Restaurants: lots of nice little ethnic restaurants as well as several fancy restaurants in the downtown area and suburban areas.
Museums: featuring art, historical artifacts, the military, marine life (a first class aquarium and Imax!)
Symphony: the Charleston Symphony is great
Parks: Waterfront park and a park around the Battery (from where the first shots of the civil war were fired), Charles Towne Landing (the original settlement of Charleston from the 1600s), and some county parks are great

that should be a taste...

see you in the fall,

jhrugger

jhrugger said:
Charleston PR:

Beaches: Kiawah, Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms (all wonderful, with Kiawah being ranked as one of the best beaches in North America by several travel magazines)
Restaurants: lots of nice little ethnic restaurants as well as several fancy restaurants in the downtown area and suburban areas.
Museums: featuring art, historical artifacts, the military, marine life (a first class aquarium and Imax!)
Symphony: the Charleston Symphony is great
Parks: Waterfront park and a park around the Battery (from where the first shots of the civil war were fired), Charles Towne Landing (the original settlement of Charleston from the 1600s), and some county parks are great

that should be a taste...

see you in the fall,

jhrugger

Welcome to MUSC! Congratulations on your acceptance. I am currently a first-year medical student at MUSC. Only 10% of the people who apply end up in the first year class, so you are to be commended!

I will be glad to answer any questions you guys have, but I am really busy so I can't promise that I will get back to you as quickly as I would like. Nonetheless, don't hesitate to ask!

... all by myself.

Any summer gross-ers looking for housing/flatmates? Want to room in a house Grey's Anatomy style or find an apartment downtown? I'm looking for a warm body or two or three to live with in harmony next year.

Anyone interested? Bueller ...? Bueller ...?

Dr_Fine said:
... all by myself.

Any summer gross-ers looking for housing/flatmates? Want to room in a house Grey's Anatomy style or find an apartment downtown? I'm looking for a warm body or two or three to live with in harmony next year.

Anyone interested? Bueller ...? Bueller ...?

Sorry man I'm not looking for a roommate but I was wondering if you found out whether or not you were picked for the summer gross. I'm trying to take it this summer too so hopefully I'll see you there.

Sorry Dr Fine I accidently called you man......you can kick me later! :)

uson2006 said:
Sorry man I'm not looking for a roommate but I was wondering if you found out whether or not you were picked for the summer gross. I'm trying to take it this summer too so hopefully I'll see you there.

I'm not positive when the finalized class list will be sent out. I've been expressing interest in the summer course since hearing that space was going to be significantly limited this year. We'll see if it worked.

Here's hoping we meet in June. Lucky for you, I probably won't know who to kick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr_Fine said:
I'm not positive when the finalized class list will be sent out. I've been expressing interest in the summer course since hearing that space was going to be significantly limited this year. We'll see if it worked.

Here's hoping we meet in June. Lucky for you, I probably won't know who to kick.

I think the final list comes out tomorrow. Woooo.....almost got kicked!

Hey folks, congrats on getting accepted. I'm a first year who and I have a friend (also a first year) who is looking for a roomate. His place is the best location in all of Charleston for a med student, 22 Bee Street. It is literally less than 25 steps away from the basic science building. I think it's $550 a month, 2 bed/1 bath. Check out the housing website for more details......www.musc.edu/housing you should be able to find it. Summer grossers would be ideal b/c he will be traveling all summer.

P.S. Why am i so interested in finding him a roomate? He doesn't have a car so I get the best parking in charleston if he finds a roomate ;-).

Any or you taking the Summer Gross???

Any of you taking the Summer Gross???

Naw, the way I see it, we are gonna be working pretty damn hard DURING school.

The only thing i'm working on this summer is my abs and tan.

I'm not doing summer gross either. I'm relaxing in Maine for a month, then moving ~600 miles. I thought about doing summer gross, but I don't think I could have gotten everything together for a move in May (and I'll need some time to get a tan after Maine!). Can't wait to meet y'all! :love:

jhrugger said:
Naw, the way I see it, we are gonna be working pretty damn hard DURING school.

The only thing i'm working on this summer is my abs and tan.

I think I'm going to a crunch or two also......let me stop kidding myself! I like my one uni-ab! See you in Aug!

uson2006 said:
Any of you taking the Summer Gross???

I made the cut, so I'll be seeing a select few of you in June when we start summer boot camp! I hear it's better than boot camp though.

To everyone starting in August, the summer gross-ers will undoubtedly provide some valuable and sage advice on how to tackle the course come fall so make one of us your good friend early on. Some of us will be your TAs! And of course, enjoy your summer - whether you're doing crunches or just sitting around sipping mai tais on the beach.

I'll be poking around in cadavers. Sweet.

Anyone down in Charleston yet? I made the move from Baltimore this past weekend, still getting settled.

If you're here and want to hang out, let me know, the weather is awesome :thumbup:

I'll be @ MUSC in August. Looking for a roommate... anyone? Bueller?

Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you this August! Did you see the info on the harbor cruise? Looks like fun!

Anyway, I have a question for those of you familiar with the Charleston area. Would it be reasonable for me to live in Summerville? I checked out their website, and it seems like a cute town. The housing prices there are pretty low, so I was considering living there. Traffic-wise, would it take me forever to get to MUSC? Is Summerville pretty safe? Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, what do you think of North Charleston compared to Summerville?

K, thanks for all the help, in advance! Hope you all are enjoying your summers!

~anna marie

annamarie said:
Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you this August! Did you see the info on the harbor cruise? Looks like fun!

Anyway, I have a question for those of you familiar with the Charleston area. Would it be reasonable for me to live in Summerville? I checked out their website, and it seems like a cute town. The housing prices there are pretty low, so I was considering living there. Traffic-wise, would it take me forever to get to MUSC? Is Summerville pretty safe? Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, what do you think of North Charleston compared to Summerville?

K, thanks for all the help, in advance! Hope you all are enjoying your summers!

~anna marie

Probably not a good idea to live in Summervile. Your looking at a 30 minute commute with no traffic. Factor traffic and bus ride in and it may be up to 45 minutes to an hour each way. If you live off the peninsula look at 1. West Ashley 2. James Island and 3.Mt. Pleasant in that order (for proximity to school)

I concur with others... I would choose housing in this order:

1. The Peninsula
2. James Island
3. West Ashley

JI and WA would be distant second and third b/c of the parking waits and the fabulous ambiance of downtown Charleston. Summerville is WAY too far!!! You will be pressed for time as it is and spending 2 hours to get to and from school might get you in a hole you cannot overcome?

Thank you guys so much! You're so helpful! What about North Charleston? I drove through it on the way out of town, and it seemed like a lot of factories, but I probably didn't see all of it. I will definitely look at the places y'all mentioned! I found a few James Island & West Ashley places in the newspaper, so I'll check those out when I'm in town.

Thanks! :love:

Ok, I take it that's an ixnay on the North Charleston ;) This is tough finding a place with a garage for my man's weight equipment, our bikes, and our camping supplies. I have a few leads though! :) It's looking more and more like James Island will be my new home!

What are y'all doing this summer? When are you moving to SC, or are most of you already there? For those of you doing summer gross, how is it? :)

I move into my house downtown in a week or so. I'm definitely going to be a regular at the beach this summer. Also, I think I might take a non-credit class in sailing at the College of Charleston. Since I'm going to be there for seven or eight weeks before classes start, I'd love to meet any of you who are already down there. Oh, and if anyone is coming into Charleston from out of town to look for housing, you're more than welcome to stay at my place rather than pay for a hotel room somewhere.

Hey everyone! Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

I had a quick question about banking. What is a good bank in SC that has lots of ATMs near campus and on Jame's Island? Please let me know if you get a chance!

Thanks so much!

Bank of America...hands down...then Wachovia

annamarie said:
Hey everyone! Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

I had a quick question about banking. What is a good bank in SC that has lots of ATMs near campus and on Jame's Island? Please let me know if you get a chance!

Thanks so much!

This thread is so dead compared to other schools... why is that? Anyway, I've been living downtown for almost two months, right next to the school on Ashley, and I've been loving it. Is anyone else going to the Clinical Research seminar tomorrow? If not, I guess I'll meet everybody at the beginning of orientation Friday. It's weird to think that we'll all be sick of seeing each other soon enough, but now we don't even know each other yet.