Musings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shekspere

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a graduating senior from Kent state
University-Ohio. i wish to address the reoccuring theme of "top ten schools or bust". Granted, there are some "marginal" benefits to be gained from attending such schools i.e. a diplomat on your office wall that nobody will ever glance at but you, your spouse and kids. However, i believe that a lot of us choose to apply and attend such schools not for the prestige, potential professional connections, blah-blah-blah. BUT as a form of personal fulfillment (not to knock all other schools) i.e. if one's goal (short-sighted as you might find it) was to attend Harvard (no hate mail please) then i see no reason why such a person cannot do all he/she can to attend Harvard even if it entails retaking a wonderful MCAT. Provided he/she doesn't go overboard like ignoring other acceptances to retake it. Although, i did neither, i can understand such sentiments.

P.S: please tone down the anti-harvard sentiments. i am not attending the institution.

Members don't see this ad.

I sort of get the impression, and please do correct me if I'm wrong, that the people who do actually get into Harvard...didn't have to retake the MCAT.