Muslim in Sackler Med School (Tel Aviv, Israel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sam32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm US resident and currently working on by undergrad degree.

I was wondering if you know any muslims attending Sackler School of Medicine in Tel Aviv.

How would it feel for a Muslim to study in Sackler?

I'm an observant muslim, 5 daily prayers, congregation prayer in mosque on Fridays etc. You think I'd face any discrimination? from students? faculty?

Would I have a chance/place to pray while at school? In other words, does school provide some kind of prayer room?

I really don't mind to study in Israel, as long as they don't mind me being there :confused:

Also, are there many arabs in Tel Aviv? I was thinking to learn arabic in addition to hebrew while I'm there.

If you know about life of muslim students there, I'd like to hear. Thank you.

Peace

Members don't see this ad.

To best answer your question regarding "will anyone discriminate you," I think the best answer is "in US anyone can discriminate anyone, and there doesn't have to be a reason." This is really true. So I wish I could guarantee you anything, but I just can't. Bottom line is, you have the very right to stick to whatever your religious belief is. You can never shut everyone around you up. It's just not practical. But if they really piss you off, seek ways to defend yourself. There's one thing that's good about the US: discrimination is NOT the norm. You will, almost always, find the majority people on your side when it comes to the minority looking down on you as Muslim. I really can't speak for other countries, however, due to lack of personal experiences.

As for places to pray, I don't know anything about Tele Aviv. But in US, most medical schools are built within or very close to the corresponding undergraduate campus (exceptions do exist). And many colleges have a chapel that's not affiliated with any religion. In my college, there is a small chapel that's decorated to be appropriate for any religion. And what's better is that almost all medical schools are attached to hospitals. In almost all hospitals there are chapels. They may look Christian, but as long as you don't mind I think they are good places to be. If none of these is available, you should probably talk to the school administration, and I'm almost positive that they will work out a way for you. My school actually has a form for us to fill out at the beginning of each year to tell them on what days I need to be off due to religious reasons. So they do care about different people's religious needs.

I'm an Israeli and grew up right outside of Tel-Aviv. I can't tell you much about Sackler, but I can probably share my experience. I believe you will find Tel-Aviv and your fellow medical students increadibly tolerant of your religion. Not only is Tel-Aviv one of the most progressive and open-minded cities in the world, but med-students also tend to be the cream of the crop of Israeli society, in every sense.

In regards to your religious observance concerns, rest assured, Tel-Aviv has plenty of mosques. Jaffa, Tel-Aviv's sister city, has a large muslim community living peacefully along the Israelis. I think the only problem you would run into is finding time for five daily prayers, since the curriculum is simply not scheduled to acommodate prayers, but I'm sure it's something the administration would be open to discuss.

I personally think a muslim med-student in Tel-Aviv would be a wonderful addition to the student body, and that your classmates would feel privileged to benefit from your perspective and experience. It's a shame there's not more people like you willing to take the plunge and open their mind to other cultures. Good luck with you wherever you end up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I was wondering if you know any muslims attending Sackler School of Medicine in Tel Aviv.

I'm an observant muslim, 5 daily prayers, congregation prayer in mosque on Fridays etc. You think I'd face any discrimination? from students? faculty?

Would I have a chance/place to pray while at school? In other words, does school provide some kind of prayer room?

I really don't mind to study in Israel, as long as they don't mind me being there :confused:

Also, are there many arabs in Tel Aviv? I was thinking to learn arabic in addition to hebrew while I'm there.

Peace

I don't think you would have a problem there... But, if you were an Israeli studying medicine over the wall, it wouldn't be safe...

I am currently a student at Sackler. I really hope there would be no discrimination, that would be some crap. The admissions process is an American process for the American program. I think they are very interested in you having a strong interest in being in Israel. They will ask you what you think of Israel, studying there, what your family thinks about you studying there, etc. They want to make sure you are committed. There have been muslim American graduates from Sackler's program in the past.

As far as places for prayer, there are usually empty classrooms, and on the hour every hour is a 15 minute break. I don't know how long prayers are, but I see some staff wash in the bathroom before, but I am unsure of where they pray.

Like the previous poster said, Jaffa has a large muslim community and a handful of mosques. The Israeli medical students have many Arab students. Id say apply. Israel is an interesting place to study medicine and the more diversity the better.

As far as learning Arabic and Hebrew, you may not have the time to do both. Most major signs, labels, are in both Hebrew and Arabic, and honestly, aside from the hospital, you dont need Hebrew to get around Israel.

Hope that helps.

Hi!

Peace

I'm sorry I saw your post so late...

Would you face discrimination from students or faculty? Based on all the students and faculty I know at Sackler, I would emphatically say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one of my good friends is a muslim from the Sudan. Most Sacklerites I know are very welcoming and open. One of the main reasons I chose Sackler was that I really liked the Comraderie (just watch the thriller video!).

While there are no Muslims in Sackler (as far as I know), there are plenty in TA university.

I also have a friend who is Arab-Christian who is going to Technion (in Haifa).

You are welcome!