DO Mutiple mcat...with a 4 on verbal twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

es bl155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got my latest mcat results and I think that I screwed up big time...

Fall 2012: PS:6 VR:4 BS:6 16
Summer 2014: PS:11 VR:6 BS:8 25
January 2015: PS:10 VR: 4 BS 10 24

Biology Major
Sgpa: 3.5
Cgpa:3.65

ECs
Hospital CNA (2.5 years) -1000 hrs
Emergency Dept Volunteer (3 years)-350hrs
Shadowing DO primary care-40 hrs
Undergrad pre-med club- leadership position

I've taken the mcat three times in the last few years and can't improve in verbal to save my life. I know it probably seems like I haven't even practiced for VR with those mediocre scores, but in reality I've gone through all of AAMC, EK101, tpr and tbr verbal material and carefully reviewed my mistakes. My practice scores for VR was around 7-9, so I'm not exactly sure what happened. I'm a native English speaker, which I know makes matters even worse. But now I'm not sure if I even have a chance this cycle with DO programs. This will be my first time going through the application cycle if I apply this summer. But with a drop in my latest mcat score and three very low VR scores, I'm not sure if I should even apply. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That drop in VR is killer.
Dropping a point in PS doesn't help either.
With a 4, and being a native speaker, I wouldn't say your chances are great. You can try at newer less established schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
would a fourth mcat be a death sentence even if I managed to get VR up or should I apply with what I have. I'm worried that adcoms will think the 6 in VR was a fluke...not that its much better than 4 anyhow.

would a fourth mcat be a death sentence even if I managed to get VR up or should I apply with what I have. I'm worried that adcoms will think the 6 in VR was a fluke...not that its much better than 4 anyhow.
Your chances are not looking too good. I would not retake the MCAT if you can not score 30+ on the practice tests. However, you should be able to land a few interviews at the newer DO schools, and your hospital work/volunteering would help you as well.

thats a bummer to hear I appreciate the feedback. Does anyone know if this list of schools that take highest section scores into account is still valid?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-do-schools-view-multiple-mcat-scores.822285/

I know they will still see my multiple low verbal scores but I would think it might help me from getting auto screened.

I hate to say this OP, but I'd say chances are near zero with that 4(TWICE!) in VR at both MD and DO schools. A subscore that low falls into auto-reject territory for sure. You should call a bunch of DO schools to get the most accurate information about what their policy is on multiple MCAT retakes. I definitely wouldn't rely on a 4-year-old SDN thread.

I'm impressed by how much you brought up the PS/BS.

The problem is, of course, that you're still not prepared for verbal. You got to try and bring your practice tests up to the 10-12 range before retaking the MCAT.A 7-9 on the practice test is not sufficient by any means.
Think about what the problem may be. Is english a second language for you? Did you have problems with reading comprehension sections in the SATs/ACT? Are you a slow reader?

I'm impressed by how much you brought up the PS/BS.

The problem is, of course, that you're still not prepared for verbal. You got to try and bring your practice tests up to the 10-12 range before retaking the MCAT.A 7-9 on the practice test is not sufficient by any means.
Think about what the problem may be. Is english a second language for you? Did you have problems with reading comprehension sections in the SATs/ACT? Are you a slow reader?

English is my second language but I was born and raised in the US. Vietnamese is the only language used at home but I'd really consider myself a native English speaker cause I was born here. I've always had horrible standardized reading scores as well. I guess I've just never been much of a reader either. Timing and reading speed has always been an issue for me as well. I've struggled to get through even 5 passages for the longest time and this last round of studying was the first time that I was able to complete 6 passages. On the actually test I also only completed 6 passages and guessed the last passage but that was the strategy I've been using that seemed to give me the best results on practice exams.

English is my second language but I was born and raised in the US. Vietnamese is the only language used at home but I'd really consider myself a native English speaker cause I was born here. I've always had horrible standardized reading scores as well. I guess I've just never been much of a reader either. Timing and reading speed has always been an issue for me as well. I've struggled to get through even 5 passages for the longest time and this last round of studying was the first time that I was able to complete 6 passages. On the actually test I also only completed 6 passages and guessed the last passage but that was the strategy I've been using that seemed to give me the best results on practice exams.
Well there we go! You were able to piece together things fine for the PS and BS sections given your vigorous reviewing. Verbal relies purely on your reading comprehension skills which is your problem area (english is also my second language).

This is something you can practice, of course. But if it's hard for you to focus on large pieces of text, you may have to resort to alternative methods. Tracing the words with your fingers, making quick condensed notes, sounding things out with your mouth as you read, etc. Everyone's unique and has to find what works for them. For me, it's the note-taking and filling in the blanks (same technique used for ADHD kids). Regardless, with enough practice you'll be a natural at reading comprehension stuff. I personally only tried out the AMCAS practice tests and Kaplan, but I'm sure you can start from the SAT reading comprehension as well as AP english lit. Libraries have these types of things, so don't need to buy it.

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I think I'll eventually try retaking the exam again once I see some drastic improvements on my VR, but I've been practicing for VR for so long that I really don't know how much better it can realistically get. I still feel like all of this is just one big horrible dream that I'm just waiting to wake up from lol.

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I think I'll eventually try retaking the exam again once I see some drastic improvements on my VR, but I've been practicing for VR for so long that I really don't know how much better it can realistically get. I still feel like all of this is just one big horrible dream that I'm just waiting to wake up from lol.
You definitely need to change up how you are studying verbal since whatever strategy you are using is clearly not working. I second what others have said about starting with non-MCAT material and build up a better foundation. It will likely take considerable amount of time to see any results. Don't reuse verbal passages you have already taken. Everyone I know who does poorly at verbal did NOT read for pleasure growing up. That type of reading seems to be a large predictor in VR success.

You might have a shot at some of the newer DO schools. It would be worth your time to call and ask about MCAT policies and see if they have any score cutoffs(if not stated on their website).

My best friend is in a similar situation as you. He got a 4 in VR his first time and a 3 his second time(highest total score of 22). He is currently awaiting his 3rd score results. Personally, I am highly doubtful he has much of a chance to significantly improve. We have already lightly discussed "Plan B" since he already went through a round of rejections this past cycle. It may be wise to start considering your "Plan B".

You definitely need to change up how you are studying verbal since whatever strategy you are using is clearly not working. I second what others have said about starting with non-MCAT material and build up a better foundation. It will likely take considerable amount of time to see any results. Don't reuse verbal passages you have already taken. Everyone I know who does poorly at verbal did NOT read for pleasure growing up. That type of reading seems to be a large predictor in VR success.

You might have a shot at some of the newer DO schools. It would be worth your time to call and ask about MCAT policies and see if they have any score cutoffs(if not stated on their website).

My best friend is in a similar situation as you. He got a 4 in VR his first time and a 3 his second time(highest total score of 22). He is currently awaiting his 3rd score results. Personally, I am highly doubtful he has much of a chance to significantly improve. We have already lightly discussed "Plan B" since he already went through a round of rejections this past cycle. It may be wise to start considering your "Plan B".

I don't agree with going to "Plan B" or whatever at all. To think that you need to switch careers only because of the verbal section is ridiculous. Even if you do switch careers, you'll probably have to take another standardized exam i.e. GRE , PCAT, DAT which involves reading as well... I scored a 5 and 6 on VR so I'm no expert at all but I think even with a 6, you can land some acceptances with some DO schools especially if your overall score is above average. Switch up your strategy, and just be comfortable with the strategy you're using and practice it over and over again with full length VR tests only. Reuse the exams if you can and practice ONLY for reading speed/comprehension and technique. Buy whatever VR material is left i.e. kaplan /berkeley whatever and practice full lengths every morning. If you don't feel satisfied with your performance that day, do another full length. Dedicate a lot of time on the MCAT, quit your ECs if possible... because it's do or die time since the 4th retake should be the absolute last one anyone should take imo.

Hey! I just came across this post and I can relate. I got a 4 on verbal my first time taking it. English isn't my first language either but I can speak it fluently because I immigrated here as a young kid. only an Indian language was spoken in my home.

I can advise you to take the new MCAT. you get extra time on it ~10 mins so you wont feel rushed. That was my main problem... I felt cramped for time and I couldn't comprehend the passage as well.

I just took the new MCAT and i scored 3 points higher (about a 7 translated to old MCAT scale)

Give it a shot!! good luck if you are applying this cycle :)

It's not just the verbal that is a problem. You got a 16 your first time around with 6's on both your sciences. You are a Bio Major and your first two attempts were both unacceptable Bio scores. Your science scores are only acceptable now after 3 tries and 2 attempts where they weren't good enough.

When you consider the type of people who take the MCAT at the bottom part of the test taking pool(seriously uninformed people such as those who think with a 1.6 their dream of going to med school is a reality) the fact after 3 times you still are only in the 10th percentile out of all the people in the country on such an important section just reflects very poorly.

Med schools work on a 3 strike limit with MCAT attempts. You are on strike 3 and have a 4 verbal to show for it. Note if you had stopped after 2 attempts MAYBE it would have been worth taking a shot at DO's and seeing how it went. But now? It's hard to recommend that.

I will say this though. You have 1000 hours of CNA experience. Do that for another year and with your GPA you can definitely have some success with PA school admission. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got my latest mcat results and I think that I screwed up big time...

Fall 2012: PS:6 VR:4 BS:6 16
Summer 2014: PS:11 VR:6 BS:8 25
January 2015: PS:10 VR: 4 BS 10 24

Biology Major
Sgpa: 3.5
Cgpa:3.65

ECs
Hospital CNA (2.5 years) -1000 hrs
Emergency Dept Volunteer (3 years)-350hrs
Shadowing DO primary care-40 hrs
Undergrad pre-med club- leadership position

I've taken the mcat three times in the last few years and can't improve in verbal to save my life. I know it probably seems like I haven't even practiced for VR with those mediocre scores, but in reality I've gone through all of AAMC, EK101, tpr and tbr verbal material and carefully reviewed my mistakes. My practice scores for VR was around 7-9, so I'm not exactly sure what happened. I'm a native English speaker, which I know makes matters even worse. But now I'm not sure if I even have a chance this cycle with DO programs. This will be my first time going through the application cycle if I apply this summer. But with a drop in my latest mcat score and three very low VR scores, I'm not sure if I should even apply. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
How did you get a 3.65/3.5 in college and then a 16 on the MCAT? Was it a reputable 4-year university?

You may want to be tested for learning disabilities. They often affect intelligent people such as yourself. It's clear you need a strategy for overcoming your deficiencies if you ever want to get a competitive MCAT score. The verbal section is not only very hard, it's often challenging to see what you did wrong- unlike the hard science sections.