My A & P teacher wants to write me a LOR but..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8MoreReps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not applying to schools until December of 2013 since I am working full time while doing all my pre requisite work and it takes a while. I wasn't going to bring it up to him, but on the last day of class he offered to write me one. Will this work out or do I need to wait until I am closer to applying? Also how do LOR's work if I am applying to both schools that have PTCAS applications and those that are not part of PTCAS? Does he need to write a separate one for each school depending on their setup?

Members don't see this ad.

You should tell your professor exactly what you are telling us. Maybe suggest your professor to write it now but hold on to it till needed. Or wait till it gets closer to the time you will be applying.

Regardless of the matter, make sure you give them at least a month notice to write one (Keep in mind that PTCAS cycle opens up at the beginning of July) . Provide your resume, personal statement, or other materials so they could use it as a reference. Make it easy for them (e.g. provide stamped enveloped if LORS are needed to be mailed).

In addition, make sure they keep an electronic copy of the letter they write. This is important. Every DPT application will request LORs. It would be an inconvenience for them (and for you) if they would have to start over every time you find out you need one.

Lastly, try to shoot for 4 total LORS (2 from professors, 2 from PTs). If you have to ask for one, don't be afraid to say, "Do you feel like you can write a favorable recommendation letter for me?" If you get one letter that is not in favor of you (which has happen to students), your application will be turned down.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should tell your professor exactly what you are telling us. Maybe suggest your professor to write it now but hold on to it till needed. Or wait till it gets closer to the time you will be applying.

Regardless of the matter, make sure you give them at least a month notice to write one (Keep in mind that PTCAS cycle opens up at the beginning of July) . Provide your resume, personal statement, or other materials so they could use it as a reference. Make it easy for them (e.g. provide stamped enveloped if LORS are needed to be mailed).

In addition, make sure they keep an electronic copy of the letter they write. This is important. Every DPT application will request LORs. It would be an inconvenience for them (and for you) if they would have to start over every time you find out you need one.

Lastly, try to shoot for 4 total LORS (2 from professors, 2 from PTs). If you have to ask for one, don't be afraid to say, "Do you feel like you can write a favorable recommendation letter for me?" If you get one letter that is not in favor of you (which has happen to students), your application will be turned down.

Good luck!

Thanks very helpful. What about the format? Doesn't the PTCAS have specific template to fill out and will that change by the time I apply in about 2 years? Or can he just do his own style and send it in? There are also a few schools who are not under the PTCAS application that I will be applying to.

Last edited:
You could check out the web site for the non PTCAS schools, often they have their LOR format available. Also w/ PTCAS you can print out a LOR for non email submission and hold on to it until you need it. (sealed w/ signature, letter head, etc). Or give to the instructor when you are ready and he/she could use it to refresh memory when they do a electronic one for your app cycle.
I have seen on this forum where you can set up a practice application (don't submit or pay anything)

Update.. I emailed him and he said he would be glad to write it, but he is asking for me to send him back an email to let him know a little more about myself so he can personalize the letter better. I don't have any clue of what to include. Thoughts?

I also had the same thing happen. I just told my teacher where i observed and how many hours. I also included basic information regarding any clubs/sports i was in. If you happen to already have a personal essay written i'm sure that would help, but it's not necessary.
Also, i would inform you to emphasize your reference to save their reference for the next year or so. It helps if you decide last minute there is another school you want to apply to.

I sent my LORs a cc of my PT essay, and resume. I choose profs that I had recently in my major program and had more than once. The eval is basically a check list on a scale of 1-5 w/ a section for comments. Advise taking a peek at it. Think the PTCAS insturctions break it down for you You may have seen this already but just in case you have not

http://www.ptcas.org/references.html

FYI programs out side of the PTCAS system post their reference forms w/ their applications.......

Also Don't wait until dec 2013 to submit your PTCAS or other apps. Cycle opens in July. You can work on observation hours through the process and update (some school have completion dates for this as well)
Good Luck

I also had the same thing happen. I just told my teacher where i observed and how many hours. I also included basic information regarding any clubs/sports i was in. If you happen to already have a personal essay written i'm sure that would help, but it's not necessary.
Also, i would inform you to emphasize your reference to save their reference for the next year or so. It helps if you decide last minute there is another school you want to apply to.

Thanks. I will do this except I don't really do anything in clubs or sports at the moment.. Should I include info about how I'm working full time in a non-related field and why I am choosing to switch over to PT? Any other ideas anyone has to personalize my email?
I sent my LORs a cc of my PT essay, and resume. I choose profs that I had recently in my major program and had more than once. The eval is basically a check list on a scale of 1-5 w/ a section for comments. Advise taking a peek at it. Think the PTCAS insturctions break it down for you You may have seen this already but just in case you have not

http://www.ptcas.org/references.html

FYI programs out side of the PTCAS system post their reference forms w/ their applications.......

Also Don't wait until dec 2013 to submit your PTCAS or other apps. Cycle opens in July. You can work on observation hours through the process and update (some school have completion dates for this as well)
Good Luck

Thanks. So will he have to write more than one type of LOR for me since I am applying to schools inside and outside the PCTAS? Also in that link I don't see anything about the eval check list thing you mentioned. So for the PTCAS is there something I need to send him as a template for my LOR? If so where can I find this. This part really confuses me.

Also in that link I don't see anything about the eval check list thing you mentioned. So for the PTCAS is there something I need to send him as a template for my LOR? If so where can I find this. This part really confuses me.[/QUOTE]

There is another link in the middle of the page to the instruction man. try this PTCAS manual page 30-31 http://www.ptcas.org/PTCASInstructions_2011_12.pdf Titled: List of PTCAS Questions for Evaluators

Hope this helps

you can still try to set up an account in PTCAS (don't submit or pay for this year-each year is a new app cycle) follow the directions for a "Paper Reference" print out the reference form. Since you can't have the LOR sent for this cycle have the evaluator put it in a sealed school addressed envelope. Then you send it to PTCAS as "paper reference" next year. The evaluator could always give you a copy just for your records. Ptcas does not accept LORS from the student. All you would be doing is putting it in the mail when you are ready. I think this could work.
You stated you weren't appling unlit Dec 2013-would that be for entry in 2014? You might want to call PTCAS and ask if they will accept a paper reference that is date 2012. When in doubt go to the source.

Last edited:
Also in that link I don't see anything about the eval check list thing you mentioned. So for the PTCAS is there something I need to send him as a template for my LOR? If so where can I find this. This part really confuses me.

Go to that link and then there is another on the page for the instruction manual (or go straight to the instruction manual) it is on page 30-31. try this http://www.ptcas.org/PTCASInstructions_2011_12.pdf Titled:
List of PTCAS Questions for Evaluators

Hope this helps
[/QUOTE]

Ok great I did find it. So if I do the email request they will jest send the questionnaire out to the prof, correct? Or do I need to wait for the 2013 forms to send? Sorry for all the questions.

If you are not applying for PT school for this PTCAS cycle 2011-12 for 2012 entry....DON"T do the email. Follow the directions for PAPER REFERENCE--Everything gets dumped at the end of the cycle. If your prof gets an email to submit a reference it won't be there when you need it unless you are applying THIS cycle. SO you can't/shouldn't really do an application/pay fee/hit the submit button-- until you are ready to apply to the schools. But you can go in an set up an account (no cost) now to explore the process. It will count you as an incomplete applicant in the final PTCAS stats. Does this make sense? I had to reread the instructions several times-and still had many questions.......go slow :)

Last edited:
If you are not applying for PT school for this PTCAS cycle 2011-12 for 2012 entry....DON"T do the email. Follow the directions for PAPER REFERENCE--Everything gets dumped at the end of the cycle. If your prof gets an email to submit a reference it won't be there when you need it unless you are applying THIS cycle. SO you can't/shouldn't really do an application/pay fee/hit the submit button-- until you are ready to apply to the schools. But you can go in an set up an account (no cost) now to explore the process. It will count you as an incomplete applicant in the final PTCAS stats. Does this make sense? I had to reread the instructions several times-and still had many questions.......go slow :)

Okay that makes sense. I think I am just going to have him write a general LOR essay to hold onto as an electronic copy and then wait until it is closer to 2013 to send him out the questionnaire by email. I can give him a heads up now about the email and just follow up with him later on. I will be applying inside and outside the PTCAS school list so I think this might be the best option for me.

PTCAS initiates the email to the evaluator, as students we generally give a heads up for the persons to look for it once the name is submitted. Sometimes it gets spammed. Good Luck w/ your courses and future apps.