my attending is weird around me?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well... are you certain they got honors? Did the attending tell you he gave them honors?
If I had a dollar for every med student who I heard telling other med students about their high scores on a rotation when I knew for a fact that I had failed them...
Seriously?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctor Bob said:
If I had a dollar for every med student who I heard telling other med students about their high scores on a rotation when I knew for a fact that I had failed them...

Seriously?

Yea.

Well.. I'd have 2 dollars... but still.
The real money is in med students who inflate their passes or high passes to honors when talking to other students.

Yea.

Well.. I'd have 2 dollars... but still.
The real money is in med students who inflate their passes or high passes to honors when talking to other students.
I'm surprised they'd talk about grades in front of you. You usually get evals back after the rotation is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh, interesting. It didn't occur to me that others might be blowing smoke. (They're the ones that told me, not the attending.) Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did get better ratings than me. Although I truly think that my fund of knowledge was one of the stronger ones, there's no doubt in my mind that I have trouble conveying the "persona." I get nervous presenting and just haven't mastered the cocky, "I am your doctor, and I know it all," act. I smile a lot, I'm blonde, and God help me, even though I try SO hard not to let it happen, I have been known to occasionally overuse the word "like." Of course, this is infinitely worse in a "boys' club" atmosphere. Given how little time we actually have with attendings, I'd bet that persona is 90-99% of their perception of us, and therefore our grades. What sucks is that I was one of the few who really went out of my way to do extra things that we weren't even expected to do, like write discharge instructions, seek out small procedures like blood draws, etc… but only the residents will ever know that. Oh well. Lesson learned- gotta get better at faking it 'til I make it :)

As far as the schoolboy crush theory, I can't decide if a HP confirms it or shoots it down o_O

Reactions: 1 users
Huh, interesting. It didn't occur to me that others might be blowing smoke. (They're the ones that told me, not the attending.) Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they did get better ratings than me. Although I truly think that my fund of knowledge was one of the stronger ones, there's no doubt in my mind that I have trouble conveying the "persona." I get nervous presenting and just haven't mastered the cocky, "I am your doctor, and I know it all," act. I smile a lot, I'm blonde, and God help me, even though I try SO hard not to let it happen, I have been known to occasionally overuse the word "like." Of course, this is infinitely worse in a "boys' club" atmosphere. Given how little time we actually have with attendings, I'd bet that persona is 90-99% of their perception of us, and therefore our grades. What sucks is that I was one of the few who really went out of my way to do extra things that we weren't even expected to do, like write discharge instructions, seek out small procedures like blood draws, etc… but only the residents will ever know that. Oh well. Lesson learned- gotta get better at faking it 'til I make it :)

As far as the schoolboy crush theory, I can't decide if a HP confirms it or shoots it down o_O

I went through something EERILY similar this summer (but some details of your experience prove it wasn't the same attending lol), and I basically figured out that my anxiety in presenting and lack of outwardly obvious confidence played a factor. That, and he was quite aware of the fact that he is an attractive guy and was used to constantly having his ego stroked by patients, residents, nurses, and his colleagues for it and thought that every female he worked with was automatically attracted to him. He was kind of innocuously flirtatious and I can only assume felt a little slighted when it wasn't returned, by me or a few other females I worked with.

And can I just add that I can't understand how we are supposed to exude this confidence as med students on rotations and have a balance of humility when our attendings and residents shoot us down. I always thought it was wise to err on the side of humility when it comes to being a 3rd year, but then I got slammed for not having enough confidence and to be more assertive... Hmm ok then!

Sorry, off topic.

Update: he high-passed me and honored at least 2, possibly all, of the guys. I honestly don't think there was a serious discrepancy between us in knowledge or skills; I have a background in healthcare and have not had any such issues up until this point. So much for this thread's collective theory:rolleyes:

You just posted this like three weeks ago:

This creates a problem: I SUCK at presenting, which I was told in no uncertain terms during my mid-rotation evaluation (and frankly, I have to agree.) My attending basically told me that he can see I'm smart, that I'm doing a great job identifying what's going on with my patients and he thinks my work ethic is great, but the way I organize and present information needs serious work.

So based on the direct feedback you received, I'd say there is at least some basis to say you might have had issues that prevented you from getting honors...

Reactions: 2 users
You just posted this like three weeks ago:

So based on the direct feedback you received, I'd say there is at least some basis to say you might have had issues that prevented you from getting honors...
This same lack of insight is seen in every "I got fired from my residency" thread that we see on this forum.

I'm surprised they'd talk about grades in front of you. You usually get evals back after the rotation is over.

It's when they come back to the ED while on some other rotation, and huddle with their medstudent friends who are currently on the rotation. Usually this occurs off in some shadowy corner of the ED.

Unfortunately for them, like myrddraal I can travel from shadow to shadow, making nary a sound.

Reactions: 5 users
And if that prior feedback is true, she got higher than she should have received getting a High Pass vs. a Pass.

While it's true that I struggled with presenting, I recognized this myself early on and promptly sought to correct it by sitting down with my residents to discuss how to improve, seeking extra practice, and following up for feedback until all agreed that the deficits had been corrected. If honors requires the complete absence of deficits from day 1...then I don't know what to tell ya.

If honors requires the complete absence of deficits from day 1...then I don't know what to tell ya.

Honors doesn't require a "complete absences of deficits from day 1"

But it probably does require being able to organize information and present at at least a baseline solid level, especially at this point in the year.

Or you know, continue your conspiracy theories about the attending being "weird" or having a crush on you. I'm sure that's it.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honors doesn't require a "complete absences of deficits from day 1"

But it probably does require being able to organize information and present at at least a baseline solid level, especially at this point in the year.

Or you know, continue your conspiracy theories about the attending being "weird" or having a crush on you. I'm sure that's it.

That certainly wasn't my idea, and regardless, I doubt most attendings would be unprofessional enough to allow such a thing to come into play even if it were true. It was funny to joke around about, but ultimately doesn't matter one way or the other.

For the record, this occurred in rotation#2. Perhaps your remark about "this point in the year" is valid; unfortunately, my first rotation was such that I never once had to present a patient. I definitely came in needing practice, and oddly, this has been the hardest bit of med school for me so far. Unfortunately, presenting seems to determine the vast majority of all clinical grades at my school, so I'm trying to take my lumps and work at it.

While it's true that I struggled with presenting, I recognized this myself early on and promptly sought to correct it by sitting down with my residents to discuss how to improve, seeking extra practice, and following up for feedback until all agreed that the deficits had been corrected. If honors requires the complete absence of deficits from day 1...then I don't know what to tell ya.
Realize that medical student assessment is based on snapshots - usually clinical presentations and ability to answer pimp questions. Perfection isn't necessary.

I haven't abandoned. The attending and I had a couple of nice conversations today, but there is no question- 90% of the time, he WILL NOT look me in the eye, especially especially if other people are around. We ended up chatting one on one about some research stuff today, and he seemed a lot friendlier and more relaxed. But if I say anything to him when anyone else is around, whether it's a group conversation or I'm just saying something to him with others around, forget it. He fidgets, frowns, won't look directly at me to the point of weirdness. It makes zero sense, and I may never figure it out, but at least I'm no longer convinced that he hates my guts. I guess the evals will tell...

Curious, do you have a crush on him? Because this is a lot of analysis/energy, and it would make sense in the context of you having a little crush on him. Just curious.

You're over-thinking it (go for it if it's fun for you to analyze like this, I suppose). Sometimes something happens and an interaction gets weird (and continues to get stranger and stranger the more you try and fix it).

I was hit on pretty hard, and quite obviously not that long ago by a fellow. It was not so cool, flattering, sort of, but definitely not cool. My days of playing the field ended a while ago and I don't go for the strange. Things are always awkward after that. Back in the day, sure. I probably would have been game.
How much would I lose now by being fired for committing adultery with a fellow and divorcing my wife... that's definitely well into 7digits. I'll pass. Getting the eye from lonely soccer moms at Starbucks is my limit.

Reactions: 2 users
Who says you'd get fired?

I know an attending (not my department) who carried on an affair with a Med student and still has their job...
When ya got a great gig, that's not a chance I'm willing to take. And the more specialized you are, the smaller the circles are that you run in.
I know one attending that was "fired" for having an affair with a coworker or 3! "Don't shiite where you eat" are words to live by.

When ya got a great gig, that's not a chance I'm willing to take. And the more specialized you are, the smaller the circles are that you run in.
I know one attending that was "fired" for having an affair with a coworker or 3! "Don't shiite where you eat" are words to live by.

I second the "don't shiit where you eat" philosophy. Not worth the hassle, and it keeps you out of trouble.

I was hit on pretty hard, and quite obviously not that long ago by a fellow. It was not so cool, flattering, sort of, but definitely not cool. My days of playing the field ended a while ago and I don't go for the strange. Things are always awkward after that. Back in the day, sure. I probably would have been game.
How much would I lose now by being fired for committing adultery with a fellow and divorcing my wife... that's definitely well into 7digits. I'll pass. Getting the eye from lonely soccer moms at Starbucks is my limit.
Really? Fired for that? :rolleyes:

I know an attending (not my department) who carried on an affair with a Med student and still has their job...

well...did the student get honors or not?

There was one attending who took a student to a state meeting and made it pretty plain they were an item (massaging her shoulders, rubbing her back -- dude could not keep his paws off of her). They met while she was rotating through his clinic and became more than attending/student. I think they got married when she graduated. It was just a little creepy watching this 20 to 30 year older attending pawing all over this med student....just no....

solid necrobump

eh, when I was a med student I almost hit on my married attending who was like 30 years older than me... what can I say, he was so sexy to me for so many reasons

I contained my enthusiasm, waited until after grades came out (and I was sure to never see him again in any professional capacity), and ultimately did not act on my feelings

I think the fact he was married made me hesitate, and I was worried it wouldn't be taken well overall

just as well, since he ended up writing me an excellent LOR for residency

in any case, while I totally understand, and frequently make the case that liasions in hierarchical authority structures to be really really bad,

my favorite saying, "the heart wants what it wants," and so does what in your pants, applies

I think we can get way too uptight about structures in society standing in the way of otherwise solid reproductive choices

#didn't read the necrobumped thread
#sometimes people gotta bang and they don't give a damn

Reactions: 1 user
Suddenly I am looking forward to a long career in acadaemia

Reactions: 6 users
solid necrobump

eh, when I was a med student I almost hit on my married attending who was like 30 years older than me... what can I say, he was so sexy to me for so many reasons

I contained my enthusiasm, waited until after grades came out (and I was sure to never see him again in any professional capacity), and ultimately did not act on my feelings

I think the fact he was married made me hesitate, and I was worried it wouldn't be taken well overall

just as well, since he ended up writing me an excellent LOR for residency

in any case, while I totally understand, and frequently make the case that liasions in hierarchical authority structures to be really really bad,

my favorite saying, "the heart wants what it wants," and so does what in your pants, applies

I think we can get way too uptight about structures in society standing in the way of otherwise solid reproductive choices

#didn't read the necrobumped thread
#sometimes people gotta bang and they don't give a damn

Exactly.

Reactions: 1 user