My August 2014 DAT breakdown (TS:26 AA:24)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kamib1989

kamib
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I did my DAT this afternoon and I feel that with all the help I received from this community I owe it to you guys to share my experience and hopefully this can help a few of you folks out there.

These are the scores I got and I have also attached my unofficial score sheet to this post:
Perceptual Ability: 20
Quantitative Reasoning: 22
Reading Comprehension: 20
Biology: 25
General Chemistry: 26
Organic Chemistry: 27
Total Science: 26
Academic Average: 24

I spent 10 weeks to prepare for the test. During my preparation I was also working on a research project for about 6 hours a day, 5 days a week; however the majority of my time was dedicated to this test. Even during the work hours whenever I had time I would look over some flashcards, do a few maths problems or start reviewing the tests that I had done on the previous day so that by the time I got home after work I would have less to do.

I initially started off with Ari's schedule but I ended up making many modifications to reflect my particular situation. Below I will go over all the materials I used for the content review and then I will give you the results of all the practice tests I did prior to doing my actual test.

Biology:
I used Cliffs AP Biology 3rd edition except for plants I used the Feralis notes. After I was done with content review, I did the 5 DAT Bootcamp and 10 Datqvault Biology tests. I reviewed all these tests very carefully and took notes of everything I did not know or was not sure of. I reviewed all the notes I had taken from DAT Bootcamp and Datqvault the day before my exam.

General Chemistry:
I am very strong in the sciences but wow Chad's videos are the most invaluable resource you can find for general and organic chemistry content review. Anyways following the videos I did the 5 DAT Bootcamp General Chemistry tests and 316 Destroyer questions. I took very diligent notes as for all the other tests I took in this past months. Two days before the exam I reviewed all the notes I took from Chad's videos, DAT Bootcamp and Destroyer.

Organic Chemistry:
I cannot stress enough how helpful Chad's videos are for general and organic chemistry. Content review was again followed by 5 DAT Bootcamp Organic Chemistry tests and 291 Destroyer questions. All the notes from Chad's, DAT Bootcamp and Destroyer were reviewed the day before the test.

Perceptual Ability:
For PAT I used the 10 DAT Bootcamp tests exclusively. I found it very helpful. I began practicing PAT just 3 weeks before the exam which was sufficient to get a mediocre score. I used the first 2 tests just to practice and get a feel of what it's all about. Did the 3rd test where I received a score of <15. At this point as you can imagine I was a little worried however as I went through the rest of the tests I improved, modified my strategy and started to see better scores. The more you practice this section, the better your score will be (Note: I did test #1 a second time; this time under timed conditions and that's the score you see below).

Quantitative Reasoning:
I watched Chad's videos for content. Then I did the 5 DAT Bootcamp tests and Math Destroyer tests 1 through 8 minus test #6 (this was not intentional!). I reviewed Chad's, Bootcamp and destroyer notes 2 days before the exam.

Reading Comprehension:
I did the 5 DAT Bootcamp Tests and 7 out of 10 of the Crack Dat Reading tests. I began practicing 1 test a day about 2 weeks before my actual test.

DAT 2007:
I did this four days before my exam and here are my scores:
Bio: 22
GC: 25
OC: 30
PAT: 20
RC: 16
QR: 21
AA: 23
TS: 26

DAT 2009 (NOTE: order the paper version):
I did this three days before my exam:
Bio: 24
GC: 25
OC: 25
PAT: 20
RC: 19
QR: 19
AA: 22
TS: 25

DAT Bootcamp Biology (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5): 23, 22, 22, 21, 22
DAT Bootcamp General Chemistry (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5): 22, 21, 24, 26, 20
DAT Bootcamp Organic Chemistry (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5): 18, 21, 25, 26, 20
DAT Bootcamp PAT (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10): 22, None, <15, 20, 17, 19, 18, 20, 19, 20
DAT Bootcamp QR (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5): 22, 21, 21, 20, 18
DAT Bootcamp RC (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5): 19, <15, 18, 18, 19
Datqvault Biology (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10): 23, 21, 25, 22, 19, 25, 20, 23, 23, 20
Datqvault General Chemistry (#1): 29
Datqvault Organic Chemistry (#1): 30
Crack DAT Reading (#1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7): 16, 17, 17, 18, 17, 17, 17

Thank you for being part of this awesome community and I hope this post can prove helpful to some.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 11.51.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 11.51.31 PM.png
    488.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Perfect scores!

I have 2 questions; was the QR section mostly algebra or did you get weird/ hard geometry questions?
AND what was your strategy in the reading comp. part? were the questions clear/easy to answer with tremendous thinking?

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! Perfect scores!

I have 2 questions; was the QR section mostly algebra or did you get weird/ hard geometry questions?
AND what was your strategy in the reading comp. part? were the questions clear/easy to answer with tremendous thinking?

Yes my exam was mostly algebra. The geometry questions were really easy, much simpler than what you see in DAT Bootcamp and MATH Destroyer. Maybe it was just sheer luck but my QR was much easier than the ADA DAT 2009 QR section, which I found very difficult. My suggestion would be to mark the long word problems and questions that seem difficult to you first time through and answer all the short and easy questions first and then on the second round spend your time answering the more challenging questions. Also if you start off a questions and spent about 2 minutes on it and still didn't get the answer don't cling onto it guess and move on.

In RC, what I did was to read the first 3 questions first and then start reading the passage. As soon as I found the answer to a particular question I would read a few more questions and go on reading the passage to answer those questions. I would mark questions that seemed to need an overall understanding of the passage and did them at the end. I would say about 1/5 of the questions required a bit of thinking but the rest couldn't have been more straight-forward. Even though I am a very slow reader, this worked pretty well for me.

Good luck with your preparations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)