My Black Skin Makes My White Coat Vanish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article is old (published in 2006) but I just found out about it, so I figure others will read it for the first time too: http://www.newsweek.com/id/45912/page/1

Now that black women have pretty much overtaken black men in number in medical school I wonder how long it will take for the perception to change.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that was depressing...

Maybe with the nomination of Barack, some of this will start to change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I do agree that is rather unfortunate. Sadly, racisms and prejudices still exist in the world.

I believe that Barack has already begin to bring about change. With him winning the nomination and if he should become president, I believe that will greatly change the negative stigma about blacks. Young Blacks will have something positive to identify with not just sports and entertainment. They say to themselves, "Yes we can! Yes we can become great".

it is sad...but it is in fact true...even as a nurse i get the same "look" and people always check my name badge... if i say... i am ______ and i am your nurse today...they always go...oooooh i thought you were the aide...or u must be a LPN...if i go noooo I am a RN...they go...Oh you must have gone to school A ( the community college)...there are two schools in my city...a well known state school that is hard to get into and the nursing program is even harder...or the community college...

people try very hard to put us in the lowest possibe category...and i don't think it is always intentional or mean spirited either, it is just their perception of things...so all we can do is just keep smiling, do our jobs well, and eventually things will change:), it is getting better!

i know i will get the same looks in med school...but i am more prepared for it now

... i have had people say... i don't want a black nurse...and i just turn around ..smile and say to them...you are the patient...it is your right to have your requests honored...so go back out into the waiting room and it will be another three hours or so before anyone gets to you...you just lost your place in line...but i will make a note of that....:laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
... i have had people say... i don't want a black nurse...and i just turn around ..smile and say to them...you are the patient...it is your right to have your requests honored...so go back out into the waiting room and it will be another three hours or so before anyone gets to you...you just lost your place in line...but i will make a note of that....:laugh:

Love it!!

Also, thanks for posting the article DoctaJay!

Wow.

I'm totally going to use that.

Patient: "I don't want a black doctor"
Doctor: "You are the patient. It is your right to have your requests honored. So please go back out into the waiting room and it will be another three hours or so before another doctor gets to you. You just lost your place in line... but i will make a note of that in your chart."

Reactions: 1 users
When I was working as a tutor, I had a student who always wanted me to prove things that I was trying to teach her. She did not believe that I was qualified to be tutoring her, so she always second guessed everything I said, even when I used examples from the book to support statements I made about the material. It was obvious that she was uncomfortable being tutored by someone who was different from her in terms of physical appearance, despite me having the necessary requirements and recommendations to be a tutor.

I didn't care what she thought of me but I found it to be interesting because eventually her paranoia started to delay the progress of her learning the material efficiently, so I simply requested that she be reassigned to another tutor hoping that then she would be able to focus on actually learning the material.

One thing I've noticed it that a lot of this "paranoia" is so ingrained in our society that I don't think a lot of people even know that they're doing it, unless someone points it out to them. Then they may have an "ah-ha" moment and possibly become more conscious of their behavior.

You are right. Its even worse wehn you have Blacks do it to other blacks. I was shadowing a doctor a few years ago, she went to a patient and siad, "good morning, i am Dr. ___, and the black patient said, I want a white doctor. I was in complete shock because the doctor who I shadowed was the chief resident who went to all the top schools. what made the whole situation worse is that this hospital was a PREDOMINATELY BLACK hospital in DC where 99% of the doctors are BLACK! Its sad, but its something that we must deal with and rise about it.

I don't think anyone should hope that Obama will turn everything around in our society. People's minds have to be changed on an individual level. And we have to do our job to mentor those behind us so that seeing a minority in a long white coat isn't such a shocker.

Not that it isn't despicable, but what do you expect when liberal politicians abused the concept of affirmative action and MTV/BET glorifies the 'black gangster culture'?

Not that it isn't despicable, but what do you expect when liberal politicians abused the concept of affirmative action and MTV/BET glorifies the 'black gangster culture'?

That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard in a race relations discussion.

MTV also glorifies ditzy girls who live in large houses in California, but I don't associate every girl from California with those who are cast on "The Hills."

Most adults can come to the conclusion that just because it is on MTV, that doesn't make it factual.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard in a race relations discussion.

MTV also glorifies ditzy girls who live in large houses in California, but I don't associate every girl from California with those who are cast on "The Hills."

Most adults can come to the conclusion that just because it is on MTV, that doesn't make it factual.

It's not as preposterous as you make it seem. Furthermore, the idea the Bolo was trying to convey isn't limited to only MTV or BET (admittedly, BET is one of the worse culprits), it's the MSM portrayal of blacks in general.

It's not as preposterous as you make it seem. Furthermore, the idea the Bolo was trying to convey isn't limited to only MTV or BET (admittedly, BET is one of the worse culprits), it's the MSM portrayal of blacks in general.

I may have wrote my response in haste yesterday, but I can understand your POV.

Although it's a much deeper issue than stereotypes that MSM propagate through their outlets, how much would you say comes down to what people see on television?

I would say only a small amount. I think that what people see on T.V. only acts as a catalyst for the outward expression of prejudges that are ingrained into the psyche from early childhood, stemming from adult mentors. It gives someone an excuse to reveal their bigotry. I think we sometimes use MSM as the whipping boy for the waves of illiberality we see, not putting the accountability where it belongs. On the intolerant.

it is sad...but it is in fact true...even as a nurse i get the same "look" and people always check my name badge... if i say... i am ______ and i am your nurse today...they always go...oooooh i thought you were the aide...or u must be a LPN...if i go noooo I am a RN...they go...Oh you must have gone to school A ( the community college)...there are two schools in my city...a well known state school that is hard to get into and the nursing program is even harder...or the community college...

people try very hard to put us in the lowest possibe category...and i don't think it is always intentional or mean spirited either, it is just their perception of things...so all we can do is just keep smiling, do our jobs well, and eventually things will change:), it is getting better!

i know i will get the same looks in med school...but i am more prepared for it now

feel u gurl.......i go through the same thing at work. when the patient or family say she must be a CNA or LPN, i say no, an RN, BSN. u know what? i just think most people are intimidated by educated black Women or Men.:laugh:

I don't think anyone should hope that Obama will turn everything around in our society. People's minds have to be changed on an individual level. And we have to do our job to mentor those behind us so that seeing a minority in a long white coat isn't such a shocker.

Jay, you took the words right out of my mouth.

I would love to think Obama will change things significantly, but he wont. Maybe it's because I'm getting more cynical as I get older, but I really believe this is true. Significant change works slowly.

Where you all can start the process is, with you. If you have a young black patient, ask them how their grades are. Ask them what they want to be. Make sure if they want good, stable money that they get an education. If they cant afford college, direct them to places where they can find scholarships. That can be as simple as showing them the nearest computer with internet access and having them perform a google search for "minority college scholarships". Always be encouraging.

And as for your kids (if youre going to have any), well, I cant imagine any physician not wanting their children to be highly educated, so I wont touch that. My dads attitude with my brother and I was always "which doctorate are you going to get?"

I personally would like to hear njbmd's take on the article and these other issues!

I agree. There have been many mixed and African American people prior to President Obama :)D) who have "proved" themselves to "others". This has made no difference on how the rest of us will be treated. I am prepared to deal with my non-Black classmates in medical school questioning my intelligence and even my right to my seat. I know they probably won't invite me to their study groups or to their social activities. I'm prepared for that. It's happened to me and my friends sooo many times. :laugh: Then (slowly) they'll start to realize that I'm one of the "good" (i.e. non-threatening and potentially smart) Negroes :rolleyes:, and they'll let me join in all their reindeer games. :smuggrin:

It can't be any worse than the high school cheerleading camp when I had to room alone. :smuggrin: (I overheard the White girls say that I might steal their stuff. :laugh:)

We have to change these ideas in ourselves, as well. I take public transportation to and from school--in a large medical center in a large city--so I meet a lot of people. I don't know how many well meaning black folk will see this chocolate girl in a white coat and scrubs and ask, "Oh, how is nursing school going?" I love nurses to death--my mom is the best in the business--but my heart breaks almost everytime--like if you have to assume, why not assume up? We don't even believe in ourselves that we can be doctors half the time, so how can we expect others to?

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with DoctaJay.

Yes, we should not rest on our laurels now that Barack is the nominee and potentially the next president and expect the change that we all hope and want to come around. It is up to us to get out there and change people's minds one at at time. Heck, that was Barack's message and how he developed an effective grassroots campaign! So I agree to a certain extent that his presence changes nothing for us.

However, I do think that he will help change the framework in which we, as minorities, live. Up until now the most famous black people were people like Oprah, Hallie Berry, Jay-Z (and all the other rappers). Mainly people in the entertainment industry. Sure there was Condilezza Rice and Colin Powell.. but they never generated the fame and buzz about them that Barack has thus far. So I do think that Barack will serve as a role model that will help re-shape perceptions but is up to us to be the ground troops going out there everyday challenging people's assumptions, changing the way in which we as a society view ourselves, and inspiring future generations to reach the stars just like a certain senator from Illinois once did.

I recall my first day on the job as the newly minted vascular fellow at a large midwest hospital. I walked in with my very new white lab coat (with my gray hair and wise looks) and a whole gang of residents and medical students following me on morning rounds.

The medical students and interns would typically present the patients and their findings from prerounding and I would go into the room followed by the residents, interns and students and examine the patient's wound etc and generally tell them the plan for the day.

On my first day, the third patient, an elderly African American woman who was post transmet amputation of the toes on her left foot calmly patted my hand and said that she didn't want any nurses touching her foot because she didn't want to lose the rest of it. When I said that I was the vascular fellow, she smiled and said that I didn't look like a "fellow or a doctor because I was a black woman and they are not doctors or even good nurses".

Now rank has it's privileges but I left the chief resident who was a caucasian male to examine the patient and I moved on with the crowd. Later that day, when I stopped in with her attending physician, he spent some time explaining to her that I was the head honcho. Every time I came in to her room after than, she would roll her eyes and ask me if I was really a doctor.

This was 2007 and in a city that has a fair number of African Americans but none on faculty in the department of surgery. Yes folks, we are greatly outnumbered especially in the ranks of academia and in medicine. I look to you guys who have quite an impressive list of acceptances to come and join me across this country. The only way we change these impressions is to be everywhere showing our excellence and practicing our trade.

Reactions: 1 users

I totally agree with you Docta Jay. I don't think that everyone is saying that Barack Obama is going to single handedly change the mentality of African American society but that his success is a step in the right direction for changing it.

I think that seeing a successful black male on such a global platform allows him access into communities that may not have any African American role models who are not athletes or entertainers. Of course we still have to reach out in our own communities and show success is possible in other avenues, but Obama, even with what he has accomplished so far, is able to reach people who we cannot.

@njbmd, your story touched my heart. :( It's sad when our "own" do this type of thing to us. (Reminds me of the AA's that wouldn't/won't vote for Barack because "America isn't ready for a Black president". :rolleyes:)

I'm going to have to agree and disagree with DoctaJay.

Yes, we should not rest on our laurels now that Barack is the nominee and potentially the next president and expect the change that we all hope and want to come around. It is up to us to get out there and change people's minds one at at time. Heck, that was Barack's message and how he developed an effective grassroots campaign! So I agree to a certain extent that his presence changes nothing for us.

However, I do think that he will help change the framework in which we, as minorities, live. Up until now the most famous black people were people like Oprah, Hallie Berry, Jay-Z (and all the other rappers). Mainly people in the entertainment industry. Sure there was Condilezza Rice and Colin Powell.. but they never generated the fame and buzz about them that Barack has thus far. So I do think that Barack will serve as a role model that will help re-shape perceptions but is up to us to be the ground troops going out there everyday challenging people's assumptions, changing the way in which we as a society view ourselves, and inspiring future generations to reach the stars just like a certain senator from Illinois once did.

I understand your point-of-view, but it's sad that we even need a "representative" to change the way the U.S. views Blacks. :(

I enjoyed reading this article and despite all the reality of the situations there was still some hope. We need to be happy and proud of our accomplishments on the road to becoming a doctor and when we are doctors.

As someone above had said, we need to encourage each other as we go. Reach out to our people and ask them questions, motivate and help each other achieve our goals.

The most interesting part of this article however was the end. When the white man acknowledged how hard it must have been/must be for the black female doctor. That was very encouraging. There are many people still rooting for us.

@njbmd, your story touched my heart. :( It's sad when our "own" do this type of thing to us. (Reminds me of the AA's that wouldn't/won't vote for Barack because "America isn't ready for a Black president". :rolleyes:)

I understand your point-of-view, but it's sad that we even need a "representative" to change the way the U.S. views Blacks. :(

Well, it may be difficult to understand their point of view, but it's possible that they are just afraid in general. There was a time not that long ago that black americans were highly discouraged from trying to hold high positions in life, and were basically suicidal in exercising the civil rights that seemed to come at birth for some. It is a mentality that has been literally beaten into us for a long time. That we aren't and will never be anything. I think it will take some time to change this mentality as many don't even realize they have it. Not to get all activist on here, but there are seriously some mental issues within the black community that are going to take some time to be eradicated.

Last edited:

Of course we need representation to change peoples' pov's. People only know what they perceive, whether it's right or wrong. Mostly through no fault of our own, we are perceived as the low man on the totem pole, and talking about what's a shame is not going to change that. If we have to fight harder than someone else to achieve something then so be it. Forget about the all men are created equal bull crap, because it's not true. Perhaps in a perfect world, which this is not. That's why one person can study for a month for something and still not do as well as someone who studied for a night sometimes. What about the person who is born with mental defects or learning disabilities and does great things with their lives. We have become perpetual victims. The abused child who now constantly screams injustice and has lost its fight. Not all of us, of course, but many!! I'm the only one in my whole family who lives a stable life. I feel a bit like a refugee who left my family back in the old war torn country, except I can drive 45 mins to see them,lol. Those who came before us, who had very little latitude, helped to pave the way for us.

I wonder what they would feel about their struggles if they could see how so little of us take advantage of the opportunities they helped make for us. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but anyway... YES, we need representatives. Each of us is our own representative. Let's go out there and prove them wrong. I'm not whatever you say I am. People are always going to talk and act out of insecurity, so it's about being the best you that you can be, and the side effect of us being perceived differently will just be the icing.:D sorry so long...

I agree. There have been many mixed and African American people prior to President Obama :)D) who have "proved" themselves to "others". This has made no difference on how the rest of us will be treated. I am prepared to deal with my non-Black classmates in medical school questioning my intelligence and even my right to my seat. I know they probably won't invite me to their study groups or to their social activities. I'm prepared for that. It's happened to me and my friends sooo many times. :laugh: Then (slowly) they'll start to realize that I'm one of the "good" (i.e. non-threatening and potentially smart) Negroes :rolleyes:, and they'll let me join in all their reindeer games. :smuggrin:

It can't be any worse than the high school cheerleading camp when I had to room alone. :smuggrin: (I overheard the White girls say that I might steal their stuff. :laugh:)
Hahaha I love you. I really do. I wish you went to Long Beach with me, you would have really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Hahaha I love you. I really do. I wish you went to Long Beach with me, you would have really enjoyed it.

I've already started picking out screen names for our kids. :love:

Flaahmore (if it's a girl)

Flaahlesser (if it's a boy)

sorry you got treated like that but I learned in the health field you have to take everything with a pinch of salt!!!! some patients have no manners

The first time it happened I was a brand-spanking-new M.D., filled with an intern's enthusiasm. Proudly wearing my pristine white coat and feeling sure that I was going to save the world, I walked into my patient's room.
"Hello, I'm Dr. Kasongo. How can I help you?" I asked

It seems to me that youth and gender were factors, in as much as skin color, in her being questioned as a doctor. How many baby-faced white interns get called "Doogie Howser" or "Bambi". Rarely do middle-aged African American doctors (or nurses) get their credentials questioned due to skin color alone.

It seems to me that youth and gender were factors, in as much as skin color, in her being questioned as a doctor. How many baby-faced white interns get called "Doogie Howser" or "Bambi". Rarely do middle-aged African American doctors (or nurses) get their credentials questioned due to skin color alone.

doogie howser was a doctor, so that would probably go over ok. it would signify that the patient is saying your young, but understands that you're the doctor.

Sorry to here about that. I am bi-racial like Obama and I too had undergone inequality by some so called "friends" in my college years. Many Caucasian women would ask me my ethnicity and when I told them I was half Negro , next time I would see them at parties or at school they would act like they did not even know me and worst of all I was in a "racially mixed" fraternity though majority was still white. Only reason why I joined is cause I had 2 buddies from my high school who recruited me there. It took alot away from my fun college years but oh well. It is what it is. Those MF's are probably losers now anyways. Also, had a racial discrimination against me on my first day in residency as well. Program director took me in on scramble without knowing my ethnicity and photo. When i speak on the phone I sound more "nasal" so I guess he though I was a white boy. Ill never forget, the first day I flew out to see him in person to sign my contract. He looked at me and said "Wow! you don't look like the way you sound on the phone!(smile)" then he had to pause and said "You look taller than I imagined(smile)". I knew then that this would be a F'd up bumpy ride but I needed the job. Never late, worked very very hard and got along great with all the residents. But he still was trying to say that my general knowledge was below par. Maybe it was, but whos isn't?? I have already passed both my step 1 & 2(not flying colors but passed). On top of it this guy had a sign of Jesus Christ on his wall and claimed to be an active christian.....what a hypocrite and a Liar. I resigned after 8 month of blood and sweet, as well as unneeded criticism by small things like miss-spelling words on my H&P. This guy was a regular bastard. Hope he gets whats coming to him.
I decided to move on with my wife and two daughters. I resigned because of pressure. He kept telling me in meetings; "you know, I can fire you any time I want". He also refussed to give me any credits for the 8 months I served him. It is a long story. Bottom line RACISM is real, and as an African American I have had it very very rough. I have no hate towards whites after all my mother is white but it is a serious and real issue. Anyone know a good Lawyer out there??:confused:

Sorry to here about that. I am bi-racial like Obama and I too had undergone inequality by some so called "friends" in my college years. Many Caucasian women would ask me my ethnicity and when I told them I was half Negro , next time I would see them at parties or at school they would act like they did not even know me and worst of all I was in a "racially mixed" fraternity though majority was still white. Only reason why I joined is cause I had 2 buddies from my high school who recruited me there. It took alot away from my fun college years but oh well. It is what it is. Those MF's are probably losers now anyways. Also, had a racial discrimination against me on my first day in residency as well. Program director took me in on scramble without knowing my ethnicity and photo. When i speak on the phone I sound more "nasal" so I guess he though I was a white boy. Ill never forget, the first day I flew out to see him in person to sign my contract. He looked at me and said "Wow! you don't look like the way you sound on the phone!(smile)" then he had to pause and said "You look taller than I imagined(smile)". I knew then that this would be a F'd up bumpy ride but I needed the job. Never late, worked very very hard and got along great with all the residents. But he still was trying to say that my general knowledge was below par. Maybe it was, but whos isn't?? I have already passed both my step 1 & 2(not flying colors but passed). On top of it this guy had a sign of Jesus Christ on his wall and claimed to be an active christian.....what a hypocrite and a Liar. I resigned after 8 month of blood and sweet, as well as unneeded criticism by small things like miss-spelling words on my H&P. This guy was a regular bastard. Hope he gets whats coming to him.
I decided to move on with my wife and two daughters. I resigned because of pressure. He kept telling me in meetings; "you know, I can fire you any time I want". He also refussed to give me any credits for the 8 months I served him. It is a long story. Bottom line RACISM is real, and as an African American I have had it very very rough. I have no hate towards whites after all my mother is white but it is a serious and real issue. Anyone know a good Lawyer out there??:confused:

I know how you feel. Also, I think that we can get psyched out sometimes knowing that people are really scrutinizing us and it can be counterproductive. it's really difficult, because we're already unsure of ourselves due to learning something new, but on top of that, thinking that people are just waiting for us to have even the slightest slip up so that they can say oh, those black people are so stupid, or whatever. I speak from experience as I have gone through this as an rn. The saying that we have to be twice as good as someone who is white is very true. You just have to fight through it and develop your skills and confidence as a practitioner then your work will speak for itself. It's a tough battle my friend, but If your like me, life as a whole has been hard. Being black means your guilty until proven innocent, and that goes against what this country stands for, and it's just not fair. Also, not to be mean or anything, but your spelling could use some work. Seriously doctors shouldn't be misspelling words on a chart.

You're missing a comma in this sentence ;)

yeah, good thing this isn't a medical chart. Seriously though(comma) lol, punctuation doesn't seem to matter too much on the chart, and I'm not saying that anyone is perfect, but I would definitely question a practitioner's competency if I read their notes and there were multiple spelling errors. That's just me.

yeah, good thing this isn't a medical chart. Seriously though(comma) lol, punctuation doesn't seem to matter too much on the chart, and I'm not saying that anyone is perfect, but I would definitely question a practitioner's competency if I read their notes and there were multiple spelling errors. That's just me.

Well if you are questioning my competency then that is your right to do so. I was typing when I was tired and did not bother going through spell check. My apologies. Since we are on the subject, what do think about Physicians who write orders that are unreadable??? I think that is much worse then miss-spelling a word or two. I think that shows a lack of professionalism for sure. Also, what about Physician who come from other countries and work in United States without speaking very good English, again to me that shows a lack of professionalism due to a lack of communication skills. But, AMA do not seem to care about these huge flaws in our physician-Patient communities. So, en-light of these common issues I think miss-spelling words pale in comparison. But I'm working on it. :cool:

Ya, that sucks.

But what can change the minds of the people? Maybe time? Maybe nothing?

To put things in a little perspective it has only been about 40 years since interracial marriages have been legal in the U.S. Ok to die in war but not ok to sleep with white women? Crazy huh?

I've gone out to bars with black women it never enters anyone's head that we were dating. Guys will come and sit next to her and offer to buy her a drink when I am sitting directly across from her. But it's not all bad because I get a lot of free beer.

Obama won't win. The country is too racist.

Well if you are questioning my competency then that is your right to do so. I was typing when I was tired and did not bother going through spell check. My apologies. Since we are on the subject, what do think about Physicians who write orders that are unreadable??? I think that is much worse then miss-spelling a word or two. I think that shows a lack of professionalism for sure. Also, what about Physician who come from other countries and work in United States without speaking very good English, again to me that shows a lack of professionalism due to a lack of communication skills. But, AMA do not seem to care about these huge flaws in our physician-Patient communities. So, en-light of these common issues I think miss-spelling words pale in comparison. But I'm working on it. :cool:

ok, chill out dude, I didn't say anything about questioning your competence specifically. I was merely making a point as to how it looks to someone elso who may be looking at a chart. I don't even know you. A bit defensive,are we? To answer you question about the handwriting, OMG!! I think it should be illegal to write illegibly on a legal document. I've heard people say that "Doctor handwriting" is taught in order to free the doc from liability in a court case. I don't think I believe that one. Also, I don't think it's cool to justify one type of "unprofessional behavior" just because someone else is participating in what some may also perceive as unprofessional. ie misspelling words vs someone with an accent vs writing illegibly. I completely know where your coming from,though. Accepting criticism is very difficult. It's even harder when you can't tell if your superior is treating you a certain way because that's how it is for everyone, or if they're being harder on you because of your race. There is a lot to learn in this medical game. For sure, you will not be the same you that you were when you started. Hang in there and good luck to you, First man.

Last edited:
Ya, that sucks.

But what can change the minds of the people? Maybe time? Maybe nothing?

To put things in a little perspective it has only been about 40 years since interracial marriages have been legal in the U.S. Ok to die in war but not ok to sleep with white women? Crazy huh?

I've gone out to bars with black women it never enters anyone's head that we were dating. Guys will come and sit next to her and offer to buy her a drink when I am sitting directly across from her. But it's not all bad because I get a lot of free beer.

Obama won't win. The country is too racist.[/quote]

I agree.

One more thing. Do us all a favor and stop calling yourself a negro, aunque estas hablando espanol y dices "soy negro". translation: unless your speaking in spanish.

One more thing. Do us all a favor and stop calling yourself a negro, aunque estas hablando espanol y dices "soy negro". translation: unless your speaking in spanish.

Webster's New World Dictionary(4th ed.)-Definition of "NEGRO": 1. A member of any of the indigenous dark-skinned peoples of Africa 2. a person having some African ancestors; a black person -adj. of or for Negroes.

Just thought to give you back some helpful constructive criticism. Also, thank you for your previous comments. I will keep them all in mind. Lets keep the peace sister! :):thumbup:

double post

Last edited:
Webster's New World Dictionary(4th ed.)-Definition of "NEGRO": 1. A member of any of the indigenous dark-skinned peoples of Africa 2. a person having some African ancestors; a black person -adj. of or for Negroes.

Just thought to give you back some helpful constructive criticism. Also, thank you for your previous comments. I will keep them all in mind. Lets keep the peace sister! :):thumbup:

To me, the word negro, in reference to black people carries a stigma. I feel like the word is dated back a few decades. Now, I'm too young to know personally, but I'm glad that most of us have moved on from that period in Black American history. Thanks for the definition,though.

To me, the word negro, in reference to black people carries a stigma. I feel like the word is dated back a few decades. Now, I'm too young to know personally, but I'm glad that most of us have moved on from that period in Black American history. Thanks for the definition,though.

I believe the word became outdated when the black Panther movement started. One of the main men who started the organization (I forgot his name) urged blacks to unite and stop being called negro. It caught on quickly especially by the media. He urged african-americans to called themselves black instead of Negro. It is really interesting because I don't think Negro was meant to be a problem or a bad thing. Especially among other names african americans are called.

I haven't heard a lot of my peers complain about this much where I live (San Francisco Bay Area). It is quite refreshing to see a Black doctor actually since there seems like there are hardly any black people out here at all. Everyone is so spread out. People out here are just happy to be seen by anybody.

Sometimes it is not racism just disappointment as if you are being held up to a different standard. For example when I volunteered in the ER, a man asked me why I was volunteering. I told him because of my interest in medicine etc. He then said, "oh you are not doing this for a program or some kind of probation/court ordered community service?" I told him no. He then shook his head as if to say "okay, not bad... good for you".

Or in other situations when volunteering, patients/families would ask what I did. And when I told them I was a college student their eyes would perk up and they would say "oh that is great". It wasn't a bad thing they would always be so happy for me. In some places, for blacks that type success is unexpected. And in other places it is not welcomed.

Last edited: