My blue and gold macaw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello vets!

I've moved my blue and gold to my upstairs bonus room since he was incessantly screaming while down in the sunroom with my cockatoo.

I feel like he likes it up there, I have music on for him a lot, and I visit him when he calls (he says MOM, MOOOMMMMMM) but I'm worried that he may be lonlier than he's letting on.

He listens to music all day, but doesn't he need more interaction than when he calls me in the morning and night? He doesn't scream like he used to, and when I bring him out, he acts like hes anxious adn wants to go back in his cage upstairs.

I guess I'm wondering if some macaws can enjoy all this alone time or not? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

No I am no expert (BirdVet is who you most likely want to speak to) - but parrots are very intelligent, curious, social animals. They need their flock (your family), interaction, toys, puzzles etc.

A Macaw is definately on my wish list, and I will dress up as a pirate every year for halloween!

Hi Poety,

How many hours is your macaw out of its cage daily, and is it supervised? How much one-on-one attention does it receive throughout a normal day? About how many hours does it spend in its cage?

Birds are quite adaptable, or they should be. They can also be quite manipulative. :) When the bird calls to you, it should be enough that you answer it with "yes, I'm here" (or similar) rather than going directly to it. Otherwise the bird trains you to come when called (not what you want, believe me). As long as you have your macaw out for a mixture of direct and indirect attention a few hours each day, it should be able to spend a good amount of time alone in its cage. Does your bird know how to play with toys? Do you have foraging type toys or games in its cage? Are you familiar with the idea of foraging?

Your avian vet can give you some great advice along these lines, too.

birdvet2006 said:
Hi Poety,

How many hours is your macaw out of its cage daily, and is it supervised? How much one-on-one attention does it receive throughout a normal day? About how many hours does it spend in its cage?

Birds are quite adaptable, or they should be. They can also be quite manipulative. :) When the bird calls to you, it should be enough that you answer it with "yes, I'm here" (or similar) rather than going directly to it. Otherwise the bird trains you to come when called (not what you want, believe me). As long as you have your macaw out for a mixture of direct and indirect attention a few hours each day, it should be able to spend a good amount of time alone in its cage. Does your bird know how to play with toys? Do you have foraging type toys or games in its cage? Are you familiar with the idea of foraging?

Your avian vet can give you some great advice along these lines, too.

Hi Bird vet,

He is not out very much, he screams to go back in! He used to be out all the time, but now he seems to want to be in his cage alone. I take him for walks about 2x week and I play with him for a total of perhaps an hour a day (30 in am, 30 in pm) he screams when I sit in his room to do work too.

He's still very playful with me, I got him a bit older and he wasn't interested in anyone else except me, he's still like that. He only says hello and mom.

I've talked to the vet, she said I spoiled him, but now I feel ike he's not getting enough attention! He went from all day every day with me or other birds to nothing but an hour a day now!

Im thinking that when residency starts I'm going to put him back in the sunroom with my cockatoo so he at lesat has his arch enemy there to keep him company.

Is he unhappy?

eta: I've now put him on his stand in the sunroom, he keeps saying hello over and over again - is that normal? He used to be quiet when his cage was in the living room with us but we can't have it there anymore (new baby)