My Chances for PT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePTMajor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is probably getting repetitive now, but I would appreciate feedback from current PT students as well as professionals in this field.

I transferred from a community college about 4 years ago where my GPA was just about a 3.0. Every summer since then, when I go back home, I take a summer class or two- including Bio, A&P I and II. I'm currently at Syracuse Univ., studying Health and Exercise Science- Pre PT track. My GPA here is projected to be about a 3.3-3.4- aiming for Cum Laude. In addition, I've completed 280 hours of observation in various settings, been part of clubs and held positions such as Social Media Coordinator, Secretary, and Historian.

Scores:
GRE - Verbal and Quant were around 142-145 and AW was 3.0.
PTCAS calculated GPA: 2.5 science and 3.0 cumulative (surprises me how PTCAS calculated this when my transcripts show otherwise).

Designations:
Bradley Univ., Chapman Univ., Western Univ of Health Sciences, Univ of Incarnate World, Pacific Univ, MGH Institute, MCPHS, Northeastern, Wingate, Univ of South Florida, Thomas Jefferson, Univ of Scranton, Sacred Heart, and Touro.

I'd appreciate some feedback and maybe some advice on what I should do.

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not yet a physical therapy student, please change your status to "Pre-physical therapy".

Also, there is a pre-PT forum where your thread will probably get more attention.

It appears that you have already applied, so I guess you're just hoping for the best...Nevertheless...

With you're GPA and GRE scores you will need to look to schools that have no GRE minimums whatsoever and apply very broadly and strategically. You may need to think about retaking some pre-reqs to get that GPA up as well as retaking the GRE, particularly to get that AW score up to a 4. You say you're science GPA is a 2.5, what is your pre-req GPA on PTCAS? You will probably not get in anywhere if you're pre-req GPA is a 2.5 as the lowest minimum I have seen anywhere is a 2.75. If you are surprised by the GPAs PTCAS calculated for you, that is concerning.

Check out the pre-PT forum. There are hundreds of threads on the subject of how to get into PT school with bad stats. There is also a sticky with years worth of stats and data on each person's acceptances and rejections, you should be able to find posts about each of the schools you are interested in. Also look to the schools themselves for their averages and contact the admissions offices to talk about whether you may be competitive. Realize though that you are going to have a rough time and you may need to a) apply to a huge number of schools, b) take more than one cycle to get in, or c) retake classes and the GRE and look for schools that take the better of the two grades for retakes (rather than the average). Or who knows, you may just get lucky.

Reactions: 1 user
How many more prerequisite classes do you have left? Are you planning to retake some courses?

Current sGPA/cGPA and GRE places your chances at "low".

Do you have some failures that are calculated into that science GPA? Some schools do grade replacements (PTCAS doesn't) so that could account for big discrepancy.

What is your specific PTCAS Pre req GPA (might be different from the science calculation)? How many do you have left?

Honestly, you are at the very low end. In general, you need well above a 3.0 to have a chance. OR, significant circumstances that show why your overall is a 3.0. (For example, I would say the average cum GPA to shoot for is somewhere around 3.4 ish and higher....just my opinion, not scientific. In my case, I applied and got in with a 3.1 GPA which seems extremely low but I'm a non traditional student and have held a 4.0 GPA in all classes over the last 5 years....in my case, I have very old classes...10-15 years old that pull my overall GPA number down). So if you tell me you have straight A's in all your pre reqs, then yes, I think you could make it in with a 3.0. But if that's not the case, then I think it will be tough.

1) Retake pre reqs to get A's on top. If your GPA is low, you really need to get A's....because your overall GPA will still look low on paper but at least no one can question your ability in field specific classes.
2) Retake the GRE. I think the writing section specifically is a red flag (probably need a 4)
3) At this point, don't worry about doing more hours....just focus on retakes a GRE.