My chances if?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don Kim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an undergrad freshman at Johns Hopkins University majoring in Neuroscience. I am currently one of the very few Predents in my grade. I am just about finishing up my first year here, and I was just wondering what kind of credentials I should aim for. I am a NJ resident, and am planning to apply Senior year. My top choices are USC, UCLA, UCSF, and Penn.

My first semester was "covered grades" so it doesn't show on transcript, due to the university's policy.
My second semester looks like its going to finish with a GPA around 3.65~3.7. (My science GPA roughly 3.72) If I can, I am going to try to maintain around a 3.7, and 3.5 at the least throughout undergrad. Hopkins is tough, and I am still in the process of getting the hang of it.

I am currently in an organization called "Students United for America Toothfairy (SUAT)" in my school, and am looking into getting some sort of leadership position in it in sophomore year.
I am also participating in a GED tutoring program for prisoners in Jail every week.
I am shadowing a dentist whenever I am home during breaks.
I am planning on working as a Research Assistant at a lab in my University in Sophomore year.

So yeah, what other extracurricular activities would you guys suggest? Also, what kind of DAT score should I shoot for? Thank you for helping out a clueless freshman!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep doing what you are doing/planning for ECs and you're golden.
GPA is good, so you have a little leeway for the DAT. Given your stats and background I'd say a 20+ (22+ to maximize your chances) on DAT is easily within reach.

If you are not applying till your 3rd year summer, then you don't have to worry too much about the DAT at this point. Focus on your classes first and just enjoy what college has to offer you.

Just keep swimming! I was a neuroscience major as well (not from Hopkins though), and I'll be starting at Penn. I also got into ucsf, since some of them were your choices. Feel free pm me about anything or specifics of these schools. Obviously I'm not an expert but I'll be glad to share my experience!