My chances in DO as a Canadian Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowbluegreen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a Canadian Student and planning on applying to DO schools for the 2015/2016 cycle. I would love any advice and suggestions you guys have!

Background:
Molecular biology and biochemistry honors
cGPA - 3.24
sGPA - 3.4
MCAT - 32 (10PS/1OVR/12BS)

I know my GPA/sGPA is lower than average but do you guys think my MCAT can make up for it?

Volunteer:
Senior home (300 hours)
Surgical Care Centre Unit (50 hours)
Research Assistant at the cardiology department (200 hours)

I really appreciate all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Post this under "what are my chances" forum. As a Canadian, you are greatly limited by the number of schools that accept international students. Unfortunately, that means newer DO schools are off limit to you, and international students often need higher-than-average GPAs and MCAT to be accepted. If your ECs are only what you listed, you are severely deficient in clinical experience, physician shadowing, and extracurriculars. Coupling weak ECs with low cGPA, your chances are moderate to low.

The schools that are Canadian friendly (i.e. regularly accept Canadian students and not just listed as accepting international students in AACOM CIB) are as follows: MSUCOM, KCU-COM, Western-COMP, UNECOM, MUCOM, AZCOM, CCOM, NSU-COM, LMU-DCOM, TouroCOM-NY. Also, RowanSOM and UNTHSC-TCOM accept Canadian students but with very limited number of spots.

Reactions: 1 user
Add PCOM to the list too, I know several people in my class that from Canada or other countries...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, your GPA is a little low for PCOM standards but you may get away with it because your MCAT is ok...

there is a growing community of Canadian DO students,
search facebook for: Osteopathic Medicine (DO) for Canadians
the can also google COMSA for more info
...i also recommend passing this info to other fellow students

You have a shot, maybe not the best but I would apply to the ones listed above. Azcom, tourony and lmudcom are the best bets.

My school admits Canadians. Bring me some back bacon? Yes?

Last edited: