My chances to match + help to find rad-onc research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncHELP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a DO student just finishing up my third year, looking for some advice. I am interested in applying to radiation oncology residencies, and have the option to rotate at a few away programs, all of which I plan to do at departments with rad-onc residencies. I did not realize my interest in the field until the beginning of my third year when I had some exposure to it, and thus I do not have any research in the field (although I have research in other medical fields). I feel I have a relatively competitive application (high 240s Step 1, clinical honors in everything I've taken thus far, 5 pubs at NIH with 1 as primary author). My main 2 worries are my status as an osteopathic student and my lack of rad-onc research. I have called and emailed dozens of programs/physicians looking to do research, but have had absolutely no luck. I am well aware that top-tier programs are out of my reach, so am looking to do aways at mid-tier places.

My main two questions:
-Does anyone have any suggestions on finding research I can start now? My hope is that if I start soon, I might be able to publish my interview season.
-Are there programs that care less about previous research for their applications? Does anyone have suggestions for specific places?

Members don't see this ad.

In regards to your second question - you will be applying to all 80 something programs anyways so it doesn't really matter which one anyone might think doesn't care as much about research

That is true in regards to applying. But I have the opportunity to do around 5 away rotations, and I aim to do them at places that I could optimize the quality of the program and potential letter, while also being realistic about my chance to match there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid "top places". Pick low to midtier places. You want your aways to count. That is, you want to at least get an interview from it and have a decent chance to match. There's multiple programs in the midwest and south which have taken DOs.

If your research is cancer-related, it helps a lot. You can do "research" away rotations, and you can get involved with clinical projects while you're on a clinical rotation. If you really plan to do 5 aways, I would do 1 or 2 at place with productive research, and let them know well ahead of time you want to do a project. You can possibly get started early. Getting something published by Sept 15... well it's certainly possible but also highly variable. Hopefully you could find a way to present your work somewhere so it shows up on your CV. You could also find a private rad onc group and analyze their database for a project.

I don't really think your app is in trouble unless your research isn't substantive. Lots of people discover rad onc as 3rd years. And not everyone has done a bunch of rad onc projects. The DO is the biggest questionmark.

I realize this conversation happened quite some time ago, but have very similar questions regarding research/ late interest. I am an MS3, and really did not know much about the field until this year. I have absolutely no research in the radonc specifically, but do have research between first and second year in a more heme/onc related topic. Only one publication, Step 1 255, average MD school for what it's worth (HUGE disclaimer bc the original post was about DO applicants--I mean no disrespect at all... every doctor in my family are DOs, I was just clarifying for purposes of giving my own situation!) . My major question to those of you who seem much more educated on the topic is: is it inevitable that I would have to take some time off to do research, or is there potential to get something done this year/early next year and have a chance. I know that is a vague question and my apologies for not starting a separate post, but I figured I would start here as it was the first thing that came up on google!

Do programs really care about MD vs. DO, or school reputation in general? My impression is that rad onc cares much less about that stuff than other competitive specialties?

Yes, rad onc programs do care about that stuff. It just appears to matter less at lower tier programs. Besides, all specialties care about that stuff, but only certain specialties/programs can afford to do anything about it. Let's not kid ourselves, a family practice residency in Ass, Wyoming would trip over itself to get someone from Harvard Med.

I realize this conversation happened quite some time ago, but have very similar questions regarding research/ late interest. I am an MS3, and really did not know much about the field until this year. I have absolutely no research in the radonc specifically, but do have research between first and second year in a more heme/onc related topic. Only one publication, Step 1 255, average MD school for what it's worth (HUGE disclaimer bc the original post was about DO applicants--I mean no disrespect at all... every doctor in my family are DOs, I was just clarifying for purposes of giving my own situation!) . My major question to those of you who seem much more educated on the topic is: is it inevitable that I would have to take some time off to do research, or is there potential to get something done this year/early next year and have a chance. I know that is a vague question and my apologies for not starting a separate post, but I figured I would start here as it was the first thing that came up on google!

You just started MS3. Get projects going now if you can. You have until Sept. 15th of next year until your application is ready. If you get some posters +/- publications, you'll match just fine.