My Chances with 3.85 s/cGPA and 29 MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rmflswjd89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! New to SDN though I've been reading a lot of posts/threads lately.

I just received my April MCAT score, and although I was not satisfied at all with my overall 29 at first, I was actually a bit relieved that it was at least a pretty well-balanced score (VR:9/PS:10/BS:10). I hit around 31-33 on my AAMC practice tests, but given that I had a terrible test day and that my practice VRs were around 7-8 (English is not my first language), I could not complain with my actual score. Without much thought, I decided not to re-take but apply as early as possible to stay competitive. Definitely don't want to risk bombing verbal on the re-take.

I am a psychology major at a top 15 university and have managed to keep a 3.85 GPA (both science and overall) throughout my undergrad, although there is a slight upward trend in the overall GPA. My school is pretty well known for its grade deflation. I will be graduating soon, and this Spring I was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa if that means anything. I am also expecting to get pretty decent letters, as I personally know all my recommenders except for one science professor who still "remembered" me. I am not a URM.

Here is a list of my ECs:
- 120+ hours of volunteering at a rural clinic in Vietnam during my first summer. Also shadowed the chief cardiologist the whole time I was there.
- 80+ hours of volunteering at a rural clinic in the Philippines during my second summer. Also shadowed a family doc the whole time.
- Independent research with an anthropology professor throughout 3&4th year (Biomedical anthropology related). Flied over to the Philippines to conduct research at a birthing clinic during my third summer. Manuscript is currently in revision process to submit to a well-respected journal. (My prof told me I'd be first author!). Hopefully it will get published by June/July.
- Peer facilitator for weekly workshops for inorganic chemistry students throughout sophomore year (8~10hours/week). Was asked to join the undergraduate teaching/learning committee, of which I'm an active member to this day.
- Teaching Assistant for foreign language courses for 2 years (Freshman/Sophomore).
- Tutor for the America Reads program during Freshman year
- 1 year of research assistant experience (clinical psychology related)
- 100+ hours of non-clinical community service with the homeless.
- 50+ hours of volunteering at orphanages while in the Philippines during my second summer.
- Also shadowed a couple electrocardiologists at the University of Rochester hospital
- Bible study leader with a campus ministry
- Valedictorian & student body president wayyy back in high school (if that still counts)

As you may have noticed, I am really interested in international missions. I grew up in three different countries (I am a U.S. citizen without a state residency) and my wish is to go back to a developing country and serve the needy there--of course when I'm done paying off my loans! So it doesn't really matter which medical school I go to. I just need to get into one. I did consider DO schools as well, but it has been brought to my attention that many foreign countries only let MDs practice medicine--only because they are not familiar with the DO concept. I'm just hoping my low MCAT scores and not having in-state schools won't hurt me too much in the application process. I would like to know what you guys thought of my chances. If possible, it'll be awesome if you can throw in some schools that I should look into. For now, I'm shooting for U.S. allopathic schools.

Much thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the other sections of your MCAT are >10, you have a great chance of getting into a US allopathic program as long as you write a well-written PS to show that you can eloquently write in English, and promote your overseas work in such a light that your language diversity seems like a strong positive.

If you apply to 20-25 of the usual low-tier school suspects (Virginia Commonwealth, NYMC, Drexel, etc), you should get in.

Thanks Wilson Fan!! When you say >10 in other sections, are my 10s for PS and BS good enough? I was getting 11-12 in my practice tests but I did find the actual test more difficult :/