my chances with orthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilingalways

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For those of you who have tons of interviews with ortho program, I was wondering if could give me an honest opinion about my chances of getting in and what type of school would I get into if do have a change. My stats and activties are:

GPA: 3.78 (we no longer do rankings at our school, but I'm pretty sure it's about top 10 of our class)
NBDE I:
-Anatomical sci: 90
-Biochem/phy: 90
-Micro/path: 96
-Dental Anatomy: 94
-Average: 93
Activities:
-Research & won some grant money
-Join clubs and became an officer
-Was currently recommended to become a tutor by an instructor
- and the list goes on (I can't think of anything on top of my head)
:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

how's your ass kissing abilitys?

but all honesty, 93 is a competitive score... but you might not be cream-of-the crop when it somes to Ortho. I knew a guy that had 97 on NBDEs, published researched, much ortho training, and a overall well-rounded guy that still didn't get it.

My advice, spend the rest of your years in dental school networking.

Members don't see this ad :)
smilingalways said:
Hi everyone,

For those of you who have tons of interviews with ortho program, I was wondering if could give me an honest opinion about my chances of getting in and what type of school would I get into if do have a change.

Though the above isn't shabby, you may need more, depending on where you want to go. For example, I was at Baylor last week and was amazed at how awesome all the other interviewees there were...

That all said, if ortho is what you really want to do then be bold and go for it full-speed. If you have an in at your school or if you do a lot of talking around and apply wisely, you should have a shot. Please, just stay away from OEC programs. :) Top-tier schools (UW, UNC, Mich, Baylor, etc) may be a bit of a long-shot, but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the stars at one or two programs. Remember, most programs will train you to be a good clinician (assuming that's what you're looking for since that's what most applicants want). I don't know where you are at now, but I'd recommend speaking with your program director or department chair to ask their opinion on where to apply.

Check back after MATCH date...I'm sure you can get a better feel for things then. Good luck!

What impressed you so about the other applicants at Baylor?

jpollei said:
Though the above isn't shabby, you may need more, depending on where you want to go. For example, I was at Baylor last week and was amazed at how awesome all the other interviewees there were...

That all said, if ortho is what you really want to do then be bold and go for it full-speed. If you have an in at your school or if you do a lot of talking around and apply wisely, you should have a shot. Please, just stay away from OEC programs. :) Top-tier schools (UW, UNC, Mich, Baylor, etc) may be a bit of a long-shot, but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the stars at one or two programs. Remember, most programs will train you to be a good clinician (assuming that's what you're looking for since that's what most applicants want). I don't know where you are at now, but I'd recommend speaking with your program director or department chair to ask their opinion on where to apply.

Check back after MATCH date...I'm sure you can get a better feel for things then. Good luck!

SC-Z said:
but all honesty, 93 is a competitive score... but you might not be cream-of-the crop when it somes to Ortho.

How funny is it that we talk about how a 90 or 93 just isn't that competitive, but it is the matter of just a couple of wrong answers on the exam.

You are right, however. I know a ton of people that didn't get interviews because their boards are in that level, but a ton DO get interviews, so don't give up hope. If you have a 93 you just have to make sure your application is otherwise spotless. Try and do really well on the GRE, that might help a bit.

Triple06 said:
What impressed you so about the other applicants at Baylor?

They all had the numbers (mid-high 90's and top 5% in class, etc.); but more than that, most of them were so personable and likeable...and very well rounded in general. I think I'd have enjoyed having most any of those I met in my class. They were guys and gals I'd choose to hang out with. They'd speak their mind and not just say what they thought someone wanted to hear. I'm actually looking forward to getting to know many of them better at other interviews. :)

That all said, I'm sure most everyone who interviews is probably like that...

Jediwendell said:
How funny is it that we talk about how a 90 or 93 just isn't that competitive, but it is the matter of just a couple of wrong answers on the exam.

You are right, however. I know a ton of people that didn't get interviews because their boards are in that level, but a ton DO get interviews, so don't give up hope. If you have a 93 you just have to make sure your application is otherwise spotless. Try and do really well on the GRE, that might help a bit.

I think it's ridiculus how much weight is put on a few points on that dumb exam. And fyi, I don't think my high GRE (1450) helped me much (92 boards). It must be a dang competitive year...

jpollei said:
They all had the numbers (mid-high 90's and top 5% in class, etc.); but more than that, most of them were so personable and likeable...and very well rounded in general. I think I'd have enjoyed having most any of those I met in my class. They were guys and gals I'd choose to hang out with. They'd speak their mind and not just say what they thought someone wanted to hear. I'm actually looking forward to getting to know many of them better at other interviews. :)

That all said, I'm sure most everyone who interviews is probably like that...

I was at Baylor last week too and strongly agree about the applicants. Numbers weren't really discussed, but in their presentation it was mentioned that 90% of their applicants land a spot somewhere. But what amazed me was how nice most of the other applicants were. No one seemed overly competitive or shy. I'm looking forward to seeing many of them again next week. Baylor also impressed me as a program. It will be difficult coming up with the final Match rank list.

smilingalways said:
Thanks for advise!!

I have a score of 91, GRE of 1980 and also have a masters in Health Administration, was the top 10% in my class in dental and masters and I haven't go a single interview among the 12 dental school i have applied..
What do you all think about that?

PK_Bond said:
I have a score of 91, GRE of 1980 and also have a masters in Health Administration, was the top 10% in my class in dental and masters and I haven't go a single interview among the 12 dental school i have applied..

I was number 2 in my class with a 97 on step one and a 1200 and I only got 50% of my interviews, and only two at what I would consider top notch schools. Any my letters were really good.

If you extrapolate I would say that sounds about right, but I dunno. Very difficult to get in right now.

PK_Bond said:

I thought 1600 was the max GRE score?

Members don't see this ad :)
wayoutwest said:
I thought 1600 was the max GRE score?
I had done the GRE About four years ago and we have three sections for a total score of 2400.

PK_Bond said:
I had done the GRE About four years ago and we have three sections for a total score of 2400.

mine this year was just math and verbal, for a max of 1600

PK_Bond said:

Yesterday at Washington I had two different faculty mention to me that the dental school you're coming from as an applicant also can influence committees...at least in filtering through all the apps to decide who to invite for an interview.

Just fyi

Having finished up my ortho interviews, I've run into several applicants who all came to the same conclusion. It is that though there are hundreds of ortho applicants this year (and this probably applies to each specialty), we are all seeing the same people over and over at different interviews. I guess this implies that though hundreds may apply, there is a smaller group that seems to be consistently "making the rounds" so to speak.

So why does ths matter? For all those applying next year and beyond, it seems wise to talk DDS students at your program who were among those invited to visit multiple places this year and find out what set them apart from other appplicants who maybe weren't extended so many interviews.

That said, it'll be fun to see where everyone ends up...I'll start a separate thread for where folks matched later in the month. Good luck ranking.

PK_Bond said:

Just fyi, I know at least three or four of the people interviewed here at UNC this week had a 99 on NBDE part 1, and several more with 98 or 97. I was also told by our Program Director here (Bill Proffitt) that this is the most competetive year he's ever seen...very unlucky for some applicants.

jpollei said:
For all those applying next year and beyond, it seems wise to talk DDS students at your program who were among those invited to visit multiple places this year and find out what set them apart from other appplicants who maybe weren't extended so many interviews.

I'll tell what what those DDS students had in common: high scores. It also doesn't hurt to have good letters from recognizable names (one could argue that the name of the letter writer is more important than the content, so choose your referrers wisely). With so many applicants who score high 90s & are top 5 in their class applying for ortho, it amazes me how some applicants limit their applications to programs in their region. If you truly want to do ortho & want to stay in your region, you could rank the outside interviews lower on your rank list or turn them down if you have conflicts. You would at least have an OPTION if you apply to more schools. There are people who score 91 or 89 on part I & get into ortho, but if you want to get a lot of ortho interviews then shoot for high scores.

Surfs up said:
I'll tell what what those DDS students had in common: high scores. It also doesn't hurt to have good letters from recognizable names (one could argue that the name of the letter writer is more important than the content, so choose your referrers wisely). With so many applicants who score high 90s & are top 5 in their class applying for ortho, it amazes me how some applicants limit their applications to programs in their region. If you truly want to do ortho & want to stay in your region, you could rank the outside interviews lower on your rank list or turn them down if you have conflicts. You would at least have an OPTION if you apply to more schools. There are people who score 91 or 89 on part I & get into ortho, but if you want to get a lot of ortho interviews then shoot for high scores.

Agreed.

How about top 40% of class with 85 on part I? Any chances there? If not ortho, maybe perio?

Just kidding, you guys are wicked sick. Congrats and good luck.

Rezdawg said:
How about top 40% of class with 85 on part I? Any chances there? If not ortho, maybe perio?

Or oral radiology... :)

Rezdawg said:

Just kidding, you guys are wicked sick. Congrats and good luck.
With Part 1 score of 85 you could even apply to OMFS!

Seriously, if you can package yourself pretty well with teaching experience, research, dental experiences (with GPR/AEGD/fellowships) then there is no reasons why you couldn't apply to any ortho programs. You just need to apply "strategically" to everywhere that would grant you an interview.

jpollei said:
That said, it'll be fun to see where everyone ends up...I'll start a separate thread for where folks matched later in the month. Good luck ranking.

Pollei, sounds like you've had some good times thus far, good luck with the match!

SC-Z said:
but all honesty, 93 is a competitive score... but you might not be cream-of-the crop when it somes to Ortho. I knew a guy that had 97 on NBDEs, published researched, much ortho training, and a overall well-rounded guy that still didn't get it.

My advice, spend the rest of your years in dental school networking.

or apply to OEC programs :thumbup: :thumbup:

Finished up with interviews and will now be retiring the suit. It was a lot of fun. One thing that really struck me was how great all the other applicants were. They were all extremely nice, down-to-earth, and no doubt stellar applicants. I honestly wish we got a list of where everyone ends up (not just our own hopefully matched program). I sincerely hope everyone gets matched where they want to go and we can all get together at GORP.

One more thing that struck me was how relaxed all my interviews were. I know there are a few uptight programs out there (I've heard the interview horror stories), but for the most part that's unusual in ortho. So for the applicants next year, my advice would be go have a good time at the mixer and relax on your interview day.

And to tie this post in with to the OP's question, I'll reiterate the obvious: Never underestimate how difficult it is to get interviews. If you're in the lower 90's or borderline 10% apply to a bunch of programs. If your school doesn't rank, then apply to a bunch more.

DDSSlave said:
Finished up with interviews and will now be retiring the suit. It was a lot of fun. One thing that really struck me was how great all the other applicants were. They were all extremely nice, down-to-earth, and no doubt stellar applicants. I honestly wish we got a list of where everyone ends up (not just our own hopefully matched program). I sincerely hope everyone gets matched where they want to go and we can all get together at GORP.

One more thing that struck me was how relaxed all my interviews were. I know there are a few uptight programs out there (I've heard the interview horror stories), but for the most part that's unusual in ortho. So for the applicants next year, my advice would be go have a good time at the mixer and relax on your interview day.

And to tie this post in with to the OP's question, I'll reiterate the obvious: Never underestimate how difficult it is to get interviews. If you're in the lower 90's or borderline 10% apply to a bunch of programs. If your school doesn't rank, then apply to a bunch more.

The list of where everyone matches exists...if your Program Director or Dept chair will let you have a peek. :)

ItsGavinC said:
Pollei, sounds like you've had some good times thus far, good luck with the match!

It's been a blast...we'll see how things turn out. :)