My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamer33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Just curious to hear any success/failure stories from people in a similar situation as myself:

27 Years Old
4.0 Science/Math GPA
3.7 Overall GPA from mid level State School
34 MCAT
Weekly Volunteering for a couple years (hospital, sports with kids, search and rescue)
Ex-professional athlete (kayaking)
Working in risk management for about 4 years (insurance analyst)

The problem: all of my pre reqs (with the exception of chem 1) were taken at a community college - reason being that the comm colleges are the only places that had courses that I could take at night to fit my full time work schedule.

I know my overall GPA is a little low but hoping my decent MCAT can make up for that.

Anyone out there with a similar situation? Did you crash and burn or did your dreams come true?

Also, I should state I am primarily interested in MD (emergency)

I'm living in CO where we have only 1 state school and it seems like it is getting ridiculously difficult to get accepted there. I'm considering applying to private schools and oos schools where I have significant ties (nc, sc, ct, md)

Any opinions, thoughts, ideas, or encouragement are greatly appreciated (especially from folks that have been accepted).

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All-

Just curious to hear any success/failure stories from people in a similar situation as myself:

27 Years Old
4.0 Science/Math GPA
34 MCAT
Weekly Volunteering for a couple years (hospital, sports with kids, search and rescue)

The problem: all of my pre reqs (with the exception of chem 1) were taken at a community college - reason being that the comm colleges are the only places that had courses that I could take at night to fit my full time work schedule.

I know my overall GPA is a little low but hoping my decent MCAT can make up for that.

Anyone out there with a similar situation? Did you crash and burn or did your dreams come true?

I'm living in CO where we have only 1 state school and it seems like it is getting ridiculously difficult to get accepted there. I'm considering applying to private schools and oos schools where I have significant ties (nc, sc, ct, md)

Any opinions, thoughts, ideas, or encouragement are greatly appreciated (especially from folks that have been accepted).

You have very good chances with those stats. Your overall GPA is NOT low, it is above accepted student average, so that is definitely NOT on the low side. I can't speak to your in-state med school specifically, but your stats, age, ECs, all are above average, so gaining acceptance at some MD school will be highly likely assuming you have no red flags (the CC thing isn't really a red flag) and your LORs etc. are all good.

Hi All-

27 Years Old
4.0 Science/Math GPA
34 MCAT

A job well done havn't you? All the hard work has just been worth it! I'm not a US citizen, but just reading those stats make me think 'you're in'.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All-

27 Years Old
4.0 Science/Math GPA
34 MCAT

SORRY - I meant to say GPA is 3.6 NOT 3.7... Finger slip to make myself look better :)

I agree with the other replies that a 3.7 (or 3.6) GPA with a 34 MCAT is competitive. However, the OP's question was how medical schools will view the fact that all of his premed courses were taken at a community college. I believe that this is a valid question.

The bottom line, medical schools want to know you can do well in premedical sciences at the university level. The OP's transcript may not directly demonstrated this. However, the OPs MCAT score and non-science university GPA will likely mitigate this to some degree. It will also help if any of the OPs undergraduate courses were science courses, even if they weren't medical school prereq's.

Some schools accept CC credits, some that don't, and some have no stated policy. Consult MSAR to see which school does what. Your numbers are excellent.

I agree with the other replies that a 3.7 (or 3.6) GPA with a 34 MCAT is competitive. However, the OP's question was how medical schools will view the fact that all of his premed courses were taken at a community college. I believe that this is a valid question.

The bottom line, medical schools want to know you can do well in premedical sciences at the university level. The OP's transcript may not directly demonstrated this. However, the OPs MCAT score and non-science university GPA will likely mitigate this to some degree. It will also help if any of the OPs undergraduate courses were science courses, even if they weren't medical school prereq's.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats make mine look pretty sad. I did all my pre-reqs at a community college. I have an average GPA ~3.0 in Engineering. Got my acceptance to the only State school in my state this year. I chose early decision, which I think was a big factor in getting accepted.

Honestly I don't think you will have any problems getting in. With your GPA and a 34 MCAT to back it, all you need is enough volunteering to back it up as well as not coming off as a goof in your interview and you are in. Good luck.

Hello..
I have completed Bachelor of Pharmacy from Indian and I want get in Medicine here in USA . I am now live here...

I have completed almost all pre med courses during Bachelors. US med school consider my previously completed pre med courses in India...

Anyone please, help me...

Your stats make mine look pretty sad. I did all my pre-reqs at a community college. I have an average GPA ~3.0 in Engineering. Got my acceptance to the only State school in my state this year. I chose early decision, which I think was a big factor in getting accepted.

Honestly I don't think you will have any problems getting in. With your GPA and a 34 MCAT to back it, all you need is enough volunteering to back it up as well as not coming off as a goof in your interview and you are in. Good luck.
Your response made me feel so relieved! I have a low 3s gpa but I'm applying to EVMS so hopefully it's not too competitive. If you don't mind me asking, what was your Mcat score and extra curriculars?

Unless the OP is planning to apply to a top 10 school, I can't imagine them having any trouble getting in. Makes me feel like crap when people with these type of numbers are concerned about getting in...

Your response made me feel so relieved! I have a low 3s gpa but I'm applying to EVMS so hopefully it's not too competitive. If you don't mind me asking, what was your Mcat score and extra curriculars?

MCAT
1. 22
2. 29
3. 29

ECs
Tons of volunteer hours as an interpreter at a clinic. (800+)
Community Health Fairs
Shadowed several docs
Medical Missions