My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcole18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I am taking that in the summer (which is also when I will be applying).

My cGPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.65

I have done some research at school but the project failed and I was unable to get a publication on the work because of that.
I have shadowing experience under a D.O. as well as countless volunteer hours in the community.
I am a member of five different honors societies (including ones for history, chemistry, Biology, leadership, and English).
I write for the school newspaper and work in the chemistry labs.

Members don't see this ad.

Were your community volunteering hours done in a hospital/clinic? If not, you definitely need to get some clinical exposure in a clinic or hospital. Shadowing is good, but something hands on is necessary when you apply so schools know you have had contact with patients and have been exposed to the clinical setting.

As for research, have you continued on a new project? A failed project doesn't mean your research experience doesn't count. It is still important work, and not all results are positive anyways. Don't be discouraged, continue research in that same field, or another area of interest. Is the work in chemistry labs also research, or do you just help manage supplies,etc? Having a publication may help, but many applicants are not published. Just be prepared to talk about your research, what you learned and what your future goals are.

Lastly, your grades look good, but keep working hard and try to bring them up as much as possible. Aim for a 33+ on the MCAT and I think you will have a good shot at many schools. Just apply very broadly When are you taking the MCAT? I would highly recommend taking it in May or June (at the latest). You should definitely submit your primary AMCAS application the week that it opens up so you can be verified. Many schools, however, will not evaluate your application for an interview until they receive your MCAT scores. So if you are planning on taking it any later than June, I highly advise taking a gap year. Your application will be at the end of the pile, and by August, many people have already submitted their secondaries. Applying early is a key factor in the admissions process.