DO My chances?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianPersuasion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a junior and would like to apply to D.O school this cycle (if it's not too late)
. Just took the MCAT and really considering taking a stab at this admission cycle. I'm not sure if I even have a chance with MD schools.

School: State University
Area: Northeast
Ethn: Southeast Asian (Cambodian and Hmong) Speak fluently
Major: Bio
CGPA: 3.52
SGPA: 3.37 :(
MCAT: 510 (83% percentile)

Experience:
-4 years CNA
- (50 Hrs +) MD & DO shadowing, have a letter from MD and DO
- 4 years of non-profit work with undeserved Asian community and LGBTQ kids.
- 1 year volunteering at hospitals
- 1 week habitat for humanity trip to NOLA
-1 year campus related volunteering
- 2 years of research with poster presentation and 2 times recipient of NIH research grants.

List of Schools:
Would like to stay in the northeast area if at all possible. But will to relocate if needed.

UNE
PCOM
LECOM
LECOM -bradenton
NYITCOM
NOVA
Touro NYC
Touro Middletown

I'm just mainly concern whether I have a chance or not. I will add more school if needed. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent chances for DO. You should apply to state MD's as well, for sure.

Excellent chances for DO. You should apply to state MD's as well, for sure.

I met with my state's med school adviser and she basically told me I have no chance for my state MD school because my SGPA is too low for the school :dead:

Members don't see this ad :)
I met with my state's med school adviser and she basically told me I have no chance for my state MD school because my SGPA is too low for the school :dead:
There are California schools that will interview you if you speak either Hmong or Cambodian.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah... good old advisers. Unless you live in like CA you would be dumb to not apply to state MDs. The first school on any MD list should be your state school.

Reactions: 1 users
Ah... good old advisers. Unless you live in like CA you would be dumb to not apply to state MDs. The first school on any MD list should be your state school.
Both Hmong and Cambodians are highly needed in medicine and sought after as applicants, especially in CA.

There are California schools that will interview you if you speak either Hmong or Cambodian.

Both Hmong and Cambodians are highly needed in medicine and sought after as applicants, especially in CA.

Gyngyn, thank you for the input. Yes, I speak both languages fluently. I never thought about it because I've always heard about horror stories regarding how difficult it is to get into the cali system. Plus, the fact that my sGPA is on the low side I didn't bother with any MD schools or cali. Would you mind naming the specific schools that would give me a chance? I'd like to give it a try, but I just feel like they would take my money, give me an interview and kick me to the curb haha :eek:

She threw a print out profile of the previous class stats at me and stated "You are not competitive enough with this GPA. And frankly, I don't think you're competitive enough for this school or med school".
Held it together enough for the meeting and cried in my car on the way back. It sucks hearing that when you know for a fact that this is what you want to do and you're face with the realization that it might not happen...

Yet even more evidence that most pre-med advisors are as dumb as fence posts.

Even without the Hmong/Cambodian heritage, there ARE MD schools for which you're competitive at. Albany is one.

Keep the DO schools on the list, but invest in MSAR ONline and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information page.

She threw a print out profile of the previous class stats at me and stated "You are not competitive enough with this GPA. And frankly, I don't think you're competitive enough for this school or med school".
Held it together enough for the meeting and cried in my car on the way back. It sucks hearing that when you know for a fact that this is what you want to do and you're face with the realization that it might not happen...

Yet even more evidence that most pre-med advisors are as dumb as fence posts.

Even without the Hmong/Cambodian heritage, there ARE MD schools for which you're competitive at. Albany is one.

Keep the DO schools on the list, but invest in MSAR ONline and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own. Pay careful attention to the Acceptance Information page.

Thank, Goro, I appreciate the input. Will definitely invest in MSAR. I'm just toying with the idea of applying right now or wait to apply the spring of my senior year in college. I had a rough freshman and sophomore year in college, my grades suffered a little (didn't fail, have couple of Cs) but I made a breakthrough and destroyed my junior year with a 4.0 in all the upper levels. I still have next year and roughly about 15 credits of upper levels + some gen-eds, which hypothetically speaking, if I can get all As in them again just like this year, it will put me at a cGPA of 3.6 and sGPA of 3.4...which is still on the lower end, but my MCAT will still stand at 83% percentile.

What do you folks suggest?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to your state MDs at least, along with some lower tier/new schools.

I always suggest applying when you have the best possible app, even if it means waiting a year.

I feel as though I should wait also...it can possibly put it me at a 3.6 cGPA. I'm a little reluctant to apply to my state MD school, because of what the adviser said. The thing is too, I'm pretty sure she doesn't sit on the committee anymore...but I could be wrong.

I figured why waste a year if I have decent chance at DO school, which I'm perfectly fine going to. I would love to go to UNE.

Trying to purchase the online access right now but I can't seem to get through. Looked at a bunch of MD program briefly and came up with this list:

Quinnipiac University

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

Rosalind Franklin

Rush

Tulane

Albany Medical College

New York Medical College

Drexel

Penn State

Temple

University of Vermont

Jefferson

Tulane (not sure)

USC

Drew

Last edited:
U CT is for CT residents only, unless your stats are super good. They're not friendly to OOSers.

I feel as though I should wait also...it can possibly put it me at a 3.6 cGPA. I'm a little reluctant to apply to my state MD school, because of what the adviser said. The thing is too, I'm pretty sure she doesn't sit on the committee anymore...but I could be wrong.

I figured why waste a year if I have decent chance at DO school, which I'm perfectly fine going to. I would love to go to UNE.

Trying to purchase the online access right now but I can't seem to get through. Looked at a bunch of MD program briefly and came up with this list:

Quinnipiac University

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

Rosalind Franklin

Rush

Tulane

Albany Medical College

New York Medical College

Drexel

Penn State

Temple

University of Vermont

Jefferson

Tulane (not sure)

USC

Drew

U CT is for CT residents only, unless your stats are super good. They're not friendly to OOSers.

Thanks, Goro. Ok, I've decided I'm going to wait till next spring of senior year. Hopefully, by that point my application will be the best it can be in terms of cGPA of 3.6 and sGPA of 3.4 with an 83% percentile MCAT. In the mean time I'll continue with research and volunteering. I am confident that it's possible because I've taken other classes with these professors in the past and am familiar with their teaching styles. Hopefully school can see that I made a turn around my junior and senior year.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the advisor suggest I do a post-bacc...hypothetically speaking, if everything goes accordingly as planned and I do manage to succeed next year, will I really need a post - bacc? @Goro @gyngyn

Even more evidence, as if we needed it, that most pre-med advisors have the brains of a gnat!

Just do as well as you're doing and you're fine.

Perhaps get your advisor an account on SDN so they can see how much damage they're doing to advisees.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the advisor suggest I do a post-bacc...hypothetically speaking, if everything goes accordingly as planned and I do manage to succeed next year, will I really need a post - bacc? @Goro @gyngyn

Even more evidence, as if we needed it, that most pre-med advisors have the brains of a gnat!

Just do as well as you're doing and you're fine.

Perhaps get your advisor an account on SDN so they can see how much damage they're doing to advisees.

She is so against this site, I'm afraid for my life if I ever mention that I come on here and seek out advice.

This is where the plot thickens. I participated in a program through my college and the state med school where she is an adviser at. If we do decide to apply to the state med school and mention that we participated in this particular program, the school will contact her and ask for input regarding our app and what type of applicant we are etc.

I'm just afraid that even if my app is solid, she feels that I didn't follow her direction and will give me a bad review...
I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too much.

other than that, I don't have any red flags on my apps that I know of. My record is clean.

Reactions: 1 user
You're right...you are overthinking.

She is so against this site, I'm afraid for my life if I ever mention that I come on here and seek out advice.

This is where the plot thickens. I participated in a program through my college and the state med school where she is an adviser at. If we do decide to apply to the state med school and mention that we participated in this particular program, the school will contact her and ask for input regarding our app and what type of applicant we are etc.

I'm just afraid that even if my app is solid, she feels that I didn't follow her direction and will give me a bad review...
I don't know, maybe I'm thinking too much.

other than that, I don't have any red flags on my apps that I know of. My record is clean.

Frankly, we would interview you, as is.

This is saying a LOT, OP. Go smack your advisor upside the head.

I don't think you folks honestly know how happy I am to hear that I have a chance.

Sitting there and hearing that you don't have a chance at all because you didn't do so well with a few courses from a medical school advisor, even though you redeemed yourself with more challenging courses and doing well on the MCAT , is kinda painful to hear because of all the time and effort you've put in to better yourself. I understand that the process is a crap shoot and anything can happen but I'm willing to laid it all out there.

Thank you!

@AsianPersuasion You better apply to all the UCs haha.

Haha, wanted to ask gyngyn what school he/she is from but I'm sure she/he can't disclosed that. Did exchanged some PM with gyngyn so I have an idea as to school to apply to. Honestly, I never thought I had ANY chance at Cali. You always read on SDN about how Cali resident tries to get back into the state but can't, so I didn't think little me from small town northeast area with sub-par sGPA had any shot.

Listen to Goro and gyngyn! My advisor said I would never get into Medical school. Accepted into three. So many times I came out of his office defeated! I had the world's worst advisor but three science profs became my mentors. They are the ones I owe my self confidence to as well as my family. I would have been better off not having an advisor in college! He did more harm than good!

Listen to Goro and gyngyn! My advisor said I would never get into Medical school. Accepted into three. So many times I came out of his office defeated! I had the world's worst advisor but three science profs became my mentors. They are the ones I owe my self confidence to as well as my family. I would have been better off not having an advisor in college! He did more harm than good!

completely agree.

I remember crying in my car for like an hour after the meeting. I just couldn't help it. I think it was not so much of disappointment but pure fatigue of fighting so hard to turn things around from where I was and making a 180 turn.

So, what other groups are considered UIM? I know Africans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Native Americans and now apparently Cambodian and Hmong.

So, what other groups are considered UIM? I know Africans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Native Americans and now apparently Cambodian and Hmong.

I actually just looked this up and Samoan, Laos, and other pacific Islander. I'm not putting all my bet on that though. Each state determine what ethnicity they feel is UIM. I just want my app to be solid and I want the ADCOM to feel secure knowing that even if they offer me an acceptance I will be able to pass med school and boards on my merit the first time around.

School name and prestige means absolutely nothing to me. Going to the least expensive school, staying relative close to my family and becoming a doctor is what's important to me. I'm pretty certain I'm not trying to shoot for ultra coveted specialty. Have my heart set on primary care :) family medicine.

The school can determine that any community is under-served and designate them as such for that school.

This is similar to mission statements that aim to increase rural/inner city/primary care (most state schools), evangelists (Loma Linda) or doctors for the Inland Empire (UCR). A preference for applicants from these communities serves that end.

Does any school have such a formal designation for LGBT people?

Does any school have such a formal designation for LGBT people?
Many schools do recruit from the LGBT community. I can affirm that all the CA MD schools (save two) would consider this an independent positive attribute, though it may not appear on the website.

I plan on mentioning about my sexual orientation and my work with the community. It's a big part of who I am and I don't want to go to a school that doesn't accept me or feel like I have to hide who I am to become a doctor. Not worth it, sorry.

I plan on mentioning about my sexual orientation and my work with the community. It's a big part of who I am and I don't want to go to a school that doesn't accept me or feel like I have to hide who I am to become a doctor. Not worth it, sorry.

I would personally leave out my sexual orientation. I am not saying it is wrong or right, but what if by chance someone there has a personal belief against it. That is most something I would not leave to risk on my chances of going to medical school.

I would personally leave out my sexual orientation. I am not saying it is wrong or right, but what if by chance someone there has a personal belief against it. That is most something I would not leave to risk on my chances of going to medical school.

A big part of OP's community involvement is with the LGBTQ community. Leaving that out on an app would be a terrible idea.

OP, you have gotten great advice from some of the SDN big guns. I also personally think you have a great shot provided you sell yourself well in interviews (which I'm sure you will). Don't give up or hide who you are for a school. As you said, if you have to do that, the school probably isn't worth going to anyway.

I will not be upset by their rejection. I'm not gonna change who I am for a job. I'm sorry but unless you're gay yourself, you truly don't understand what identity means to some of us. Who I love and who I share my intimate moments with isn't what's important and that's not the point of trying to sell myself during interview. It's who I am in terms of morals and philosophy / struggles that I had to overcome because some people feel that I don't deserve basic human rights because I love someone of same sex. So if those schools don't want me to be apart of their family because of who I am, there's a whole larger community out there that will welcome me with open heart and open arms.

A big part of OP's community involvement is with the LGBTQ community. Leaving that out on an app would be a terrible idea.

OP, you have gotten great advice from some of the SDN big guns. I also personally think you have a great shot provided you sell yourself well in interviews (which I'm sure you will). Don't give up or hide who you are for a school. As you said, if you have to do that, the school probably isn't worth going to anyway.

As cliche as it sounds, life is too short to be hiding and being afraid due to the mere judgements of others. I'm comfortable with who I am as a person and I know what I bring to the table.

You def got the stats to apply MD!

Thanks. I'm gonna wait till next spring to maximize my chance as high as possible. Like I said, it's such a relief knowing I have a fighting chance because the way my adviser made it sound I'm better off doing a post-bac. I'm looking into Cali schools and would not mind relocating. I'd love to go to my state school though because it's cheaper. But push comes to shove, I'll take whatever offer I get.

Thanks. I'm gonna wait till next spring to maximize my chance as high as possible. Like I said, it's such a relief knowing I have a fighting chance because the way my adviser made it sound I'm better off doing a post-bac. I'm looking into Cali schools and would not mind relocating. I'd love to go to my state school though because it's cheaper. But push comes to shove, I'll take whatever offer I get.
My advice................Ignore your advisor. If you have to "visit" him again, zone out what he says! Let Goro and gyngyn be your advisors here on SDN.

I will not be upset by their rejection. I'm not gonna change who I am for a job. I'm sorry but unless you're gay yourself, you truly don't understand what identity means to some of us. Who I love and who I share my intimate moments with isn't what's important and that's not the point of trying to sell myself during interview. It's who I am in terms of morals and philosophy / struggles that I had to overcome because some people feel that I don't deserve basic human rights because I love someone of same sex. So if those schools don't want me to be apart of their family because of who I am, there's a whole larger community out there that will welcome me with open heart and open arms.

As cliche as it sounds, life is too short to be hiding and being afraid due to the mere judgements of others. I'm comfortable with who I am as a person and I know what I bring to the table.

I still advise leaving it out. But hey, it's your dream and your goal.
Your stats would be enough to overcome any bias though.

I still advise leaving it out. But hey, it's your dream and your goal.
Your stats would be enough to overcome any bias though.

I'm going to mention it but it's not going to be "Hey! I'm gay! Super diverse, add me to your count!" For the past 4 years I've been involved with the community of my own heritage and LGBTQ kids. It's what I'm passionate about and plan to catapult that in my future endeavors focusing on primary care for the undeserved population and LGBTQ community in my area. There is a serious health disparity in the LGBTQ community. Family medicine is important to me, and I can kill two birds with one stone by becoming a family doctor. Then again, things can change when third year comes around. I'm keeping my options open.

So yeah, I see your concerns and I appreciate the input. But there's more to it than me just going around saying I'm gay for brownie points.

I'm going to mention it but it's not going to be "Hey! I'm gay! Super diverse, add me to your count!" For the past 4 years I've been involved with the community of my own heritage and LGBTQ kids. It's what I'm passionate about and plan to catapult that in my future endeavors focusing on primary care for the undeserved population and LGBTQ community in my area. There is a serious health disparity in the LGBTQ community. Family medicine is important to me, and I can kill two birds with one stone by becoming a family doctor. Then again, things can change when third year comes around. I'm keeping my options open.

So yeah, I see your concerns and I appreciate the input. But there's more to it than me just going around saying I'm gay for brownie points.

I was a little confused on how you would approach the subject in your paper. I don't think we need LGBTQ or non LGBTQO doctors. Well referring to the "disparity" comment.

I was a little confused on how you would approach the subject in your paper. I don't think we need LGBTQ or non LGBTQO doctors. Well referring to the "disparity" comment.

So you don't think there is a health disparity in the LGBTQ community?

So you don't think there is a health disparity in the LGBTQ community?

It's not an issue that dismantles trust within healthcare. Therefore, I do not believe their is a lack of health disparity in the LGBTQ. No one is going to ask their physician if he is gay or straight. If anything, the physician should not mention it. It has been the highlight of much controversy recently.

It's not an issue that dismantles trust within healthcare. Therefore, I do not believe their is a lack of health disparity in the LGBTQ. No one is going to ask their physician if he is gay or straight. If anything, the physician should not mention it. It has been the highlight of much controversy recently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the health disparity isn't about the physician being "gay" or coming out to their patients. That was never the case, more than anything it's just to provide patient confidence and trust. The disparity part of it, is having trained physicians who are sensitive to these issues and know how to treat these people properly according to their needs. When the doctor is gay it only helps to empathize with the patient and they're more likely to seek you out to help deal with their ailments.

Many physicians are not required to complete cultural competency training that includes LGBT health issues. These organizations don't even require the physicians to attend. In my area, less than 10% of public health programs covers topics beyond HIV/STD. In the trans community, some people will rather die than seek out help because of unbearable discrimination. Many have comorbidities from activities like smoking etc and increase exponentially depending on their history of physical and mental abuse history. There is a serious health disparity when comparing this community to their heterosexual counter parts. Higher percent when it comes to obesity, cancer, heart disease asthma and other STI issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the health disparity isn't about the physician being "gay" or coming out to their patients. That was never the case, more than anything it's just to provide patient confidence and trust. The disparity part of it, is having trained physicians who are sensitive to these issues and know how to treat these people properly according to their needs. When the doctor is gay it only helps to empathize with the patient and they're more likely to seek you out to help deal with their ailments.

When the doctor is gay it only helps to empathize with the patient and they're more likely to seek you out to help deal with their ailments.

Some patients would not trust an individual who identifies as LGBT though. Many physicians are sensitive to these issues without themselves being directly implicated in the sense that you defined. I mean, if the patient was gay, and the doctor was...I don't think that would help the treatment in any shape or form. I don't see your point.

1( Some patients would not trust an individual who identifies as LGBT though. Many physicians are sensitive to these issues without themselves being directly implicated in the sense that you defined. 2) I mean, if the patient was gay, and the doctor was...I don't think that would help the treatment in any shape or form. I don't see your point.

1) Not enough of a reason to discriminate against training LGBTQ physicians.

2) That's where your mistake is. It does. Having a physician who understands their needs increases their chance of seeking out medical attention. I can't find the exact study but it's been shown that minority patients tends to see and are open to physicians who looks like them or ones they can relate to.

Now, I understand there's not enough gay doctors to meet the ratio of clinician to population. The treatment may not be new or ground breaking but the needs for this population is different. Period.

If there's only one thing you got out of this convo, just know that the medical and psychological needs of LGBTQ community is different. That's all.

Having someone who is apart of that community, with first hand experience of that particular culture, IMO will maximize their health outcome.

People tends to think we're playing the system by using our sexual orientation as a way to loop hole the system, but it's not. I'm gonna say this again, I am NOT using my sexual orientation and experience to gain admission. It's part of me. It's who I am and I still stand with the belief that there is a strong health disparity in the LGBTQ community. Will having gay physician help with that ? Maybe, maybe not. But will it hurt? no. These doctors can better relate to this community? I sure hope so! Will it hurt? I highly doubt it.

Now for that particular patient who doesn't feel comfortable with a gay doctor, they are more than welcome to find another physician to meet their needs. That's their right. I won't refuse them of care, but if you question my integrity and my competence because I'm gay, there are more straight doctors out there that will take you. And as for me, there's a whole community that will benefit from my care and will love me with open heart and open arms. It's that simple.

1) Not enough of a reason to discriminate against training LGBTQ physicians.

2) That's where your mistake is. It does. Having a physician who understands their needs increases their chance of seeking out medical attention. I can't find the exact study but it's been shown that minority patients tends to see and are open to physicians who looks like them or ones they can relate to.

Now, I understand there's not enough gay doctors to meet the ratio of clinician to population. The treatment may not be new or ground breaking but the needs for this population is different. Period.

If there's only one thing you got out of this convo, just know that the medical and psychological needs of LGBTQ community is different. That's all.

Having someone who is apart of that community, with first hand experience of that particular culture, IMO will maximize their health outcome.

People tends to think we're playing the system by using our sexual orientation as a way to loop hole the system, but it's not. I'm gonna say this again, I am NOT using my sexual orientation and experience to gain admission. It's part of me. It's who I am and I still stand with the belief that there is a strong health disparity in the LGBTQ community. Will having gay physician help with that ? Maybe, maybe not. But will it hurt? no. These doctors can better relate to this community? I sure hope so! Will it hurt? I highly doubt it.

Now for that particular patient who doesn't feel comfortable with a gay doctor, they are more than welcome to find another physician to meet their needs. That's their right. I won't refuse them of care, but if you question my integrity and my competence because I'm gay, there are more straight doctors out there that will take you. And as for me, there's a whole community that will benefit from my care and will love me with open heart and open arms. It's that simple.

I disagree.