my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OceanicBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
chem major with a 3.2 overall and like a 2.5 major gpa (i dont know my science gpa but i imagine it is a bit higher than my major one since it does not count my bio classes). I got a 499 on the mcat. I am basically up in the air about what to do. I could apply now but that is a lot of money to spend on application fees especially if i do not have a good chance. I could take a gap year and maybe do some post bacc classes and study more to retake the mcat. I also work at walgreens (sometimes in the pharmacy) and have volunteered at a hospital. i just am unsure really what to do with my life but if i have a shot at med school then i am going to take it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am new here but the "what are your chances" sticky has some great data and graphs that indicate, based upon your numbers, you have a slim 25% chance. I'd imagine your science grades are going to be low if you got a 2.5 GPA in your major (Chemistry). Could you take a year and retake any classes you did poorly in? I've read on this site the DO schools accept students with lower stats but who have significant clinical and research experience. What about retaking the MCAT?

You need to improve both your sGPA and your MCAT before you apply to DO school. Take several science courses at a local college (community college is fine) in the coming year. They do not need to be difficult courses, rather concentrate on courses where you can receive at least a A-. You need enough courses to raise your sGPA to above 3.0. Also begin studying for a retake of the MCAT but do not retake until your practice scores are at least 505. If you can accomplish those goals then you would be in a good position to apply to DO schools next summer.

Your chances are zero at MD schools, and circling the drain for DO. You'd be rejected at mine, CUSOM, BCOM, PCOM, the Touros , Western and KCU.

You might have some luck with the newest schools.

Strongly suggest retaking all F/D/C science coursework and retaking the MCAT.

chem major with a 3.2 overall and like a 2.5 major gpa (i dont know my science gpa but i imagine it is a bit higher than my major one since it does not count my bio classes). I got a 499 on the mcat. I am basically up in the air about what to do. I could apply now but that is a lot of money to spend on application fees especially if i do not have a good chance. I could take a gap year and maybe do some post bacc classes and study more to retake the mcat. I also work at walgreens (sometimes in the pharmacy) and have volunteered at a hospital. i just am unsure really what to do with my life but if i have a shot at med school then i am going to take it.