My chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medkid13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings future doctors.I wanted to know what MCAT score range I should be in if I have 3.78 GPA as a Nutrition Science major. Also, I heard that attending a University rather than a state school makes you more competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings future doctors.I wanted to know what MCAT score range I should be in if I have 3.78 GPA as a Nutrition Science major. Also, I heard that attending a University rather than a state school makes you more competitive.

a 3.78 GPA is not competitive as a nutrition science major. The reason I say that is because:

1. I think that nutrition science is a way easier major than chem, bio, engineering etc.

So strive for a 33+ Mcat

You shouldn't assume that nutrition science is an easy major. As a nutrition science major I have taken epidemiology, a 3000 level physiology course, A&P, Biochemistry integrated nutrition courses, and I am now taking Human Biochemistry and Disease which is basically a medical school course prep class. If I had enough credits from my scholarship I could have taken genetics and cell biology. Nutrition science applies what you learn from biochemistry and physiology to clinical settings, which is what you actually do when you are in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
a 3.78 GPA is not competitive as a nutrition science major. The reason I say that is because:

1. I think that nutrition science is a way easier major than chem, bio, engineering etc.

So strive for a 33+ Mcat

This is false. As long as the standard pre reqs have a similar GPA as your overall GPA, you are definitely competitive at most schools as far as your GPA goes. A high MCAT will let you be competitive at top schools, an average MCAT will let you be competitive at average schools, etc. Major does not have nearly as much influence on your chances as the poster above me seems to think.

As far as state schools vs "universities" since four year state schools ARE universities, I am not sure what you are talking about. If you mean top private schools vs state schools, attending a top school may give you a boost, but GPA will trump school name, so it is better to get a 3.9 at Podunk State than to get a 3.4 at an Ivy.

Last edited:
This is false. As long as the standard pre reqs have a similar GPA as your overall GPA, you are definitely competitive at most schools as far as your GPA goes. A high MCAT will let you be competitive at top schools, an average MCAT will let you be competitive at average schools, etc. Major does not have nearly as much influence on your chances as the poster above me seems to think.

As far as state schools vs "universities" since four year state schools ARE universities, I am not sure what you are talking about. If you mean top private schools vs state schools, attending a top school may give you a boost, but GPA will trump school name, so it is better to get a 3.9 at Podunk State than to get a 3.4 at an Ivy.
Thank you theseeker4. What you said makes more sense.

+1

Your major has little to do with it. Hard numbers matter.