My class is like 80% foreigners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still missing how you can ever have too many women in any given place. What is the negative result of this supposed excess? I mean, if you have trouble interacting with women in the workplace, I can see that it might be a personal problem for you, but I've never noticed too many women to be a problem any more than too many men can be a problem, it's just nonsense.
I mean too many people can be a problem... idk this is all stupid. If you have problems working with the opposite gender that's your problem not theirs. Good god get a grip

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
From my personal experience men tend to handle stress better but are often less effective at connecting with patients. As a female there are times when I feel bullied by patients when it comes to early refills/etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Not the choice of phrase i would have used there bucko.

His position seems to be very clear - he's around a bunch of people who aren't white and that makes him uncomfortable.

This is partially true... students of the same background tend to congregate and I find it intimidating to approach a group of students such as this... especially when they are not speaking English. I have actually decided to sit a year out and reconsider my options anyways (unrelated to the content of this thread).

Still missing how you can ever have too many women in any given place. What is the negative result of this supposed excess? I mean, if you have trouble interacting with women in the workplace, I can see that it might be a personal problem for you, but I've never noticed too many women to be a problem any more than too many men can be a problem, it's just nonsense.

To put it concisely, it is a matter of communication, but not on my part. Compared to males, I;ve had very few female coworkers who are properly assertive, without being demanding. We've all worked with anal male coworkers as well, but i feel that I encounter fewer. Also, as stated earlier, even the women would rather work with women. I've had a job offer from a female Rph because "there's too much estrogen back here."

As a female there are times when I feel bullied by patients when it comes to early refills/etc
I'm done feeding this troll

The attempt to cover up the tracks is mildly amusing.

Reactions: 5 users
Posts how uncomfortable it is to be around non-white people... changes location to Charleston, WV...
:laugh:
You think an adult would know better to begin with. Hey! I go to this school and everyone's a minority but me!

Hey I made a mistake. The perception of my post was not as I intended

Reactions: 3 users
These will solve all of your problems. You'll make friends, AND noone will know you're the white guy from SDN

Attachments

• 42_249261.jpg
    42_249261.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 54
Posts how uncomfortable it is to be around non-white people... changes location to Charleston, WV...
and his aviator from the ohio state university to something different and to pre-dental

regret???

Reactions: 1 user
He realized he made a mistake. Let's move on already

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
and his aviator from the ohio state university to something different and to pre-dental

regret???
Nice to get rid of a troll in Pharmacy forum. Good luck dental...

Hmmmm, I guess by all the post-editing, Science realized that pharmacy (actually the internet) makes it a small world. I didn't read Science original post, so my post is based on other people's responses to his (her?) post.

Most people fear the unknown, but the mature person will recognize that and be willing to learn about the unknown. I was raised in a pretty uniform & UN-diverse community, and I had a lot of preconceptions about different people (mostly based on what I had seen on TV, remember this was pre-internet.) But, I did know that everyone in my class was human, just like I was human, and while I was nervous when I first started interacting with different people, its really not that hard when you just treat them like a normal human. And my best friends turned out to be people I never would have guessed, people who were raised quite culturally different from myself. In today's world, its even easier, since via the internet, its easy to have interactions with culturally different people from all over the world, even if one is living in a uniform community.

Science, not sure if you are serious about taking a year off, but either way, don't fear people who are different. It's OK to be nervous, it's not OK to think that somehow you are too superior to interact with other people. So, you see a group of students who are talking in another language--forget that, just think how you would approach any group, and do the same. Just go up and ask them what they thought about such and such class or lab or teacher, or if they are planning to pledge a fraternity and which one, or if they are interested in setting up a study session, etc. It is never too late to broaden your horizens and work at making new friends.

Reactions: 4 users
Hmmmm, I guess by all the post-editing, Science realized that pharmacy (actually the internet) makes it a small world. I didn't read Science original post, so my post is based on other people's responses to his (her?) post.

Most people fear the unknown, but the mature person will recognize that and be willing to learn about the unknown. I was raised in a pretty uniform & UN-diverse community, and I had a lot of preconceptions about different people (mostly based on what I had seen on TV, remember this was pre-internet.) But, I did know that everyone in my class was human, just like I was human, and while I was nervous when I first started interacting with different people, its really not that hard when you just treat them like a normal human. And my best friends turned out to be people I never would have guessed, people who were raised quite culturally different from myself. In today's world, its even easier, since via the internet, its easy to have interactions with culturally different people from all over the world, even if one is living in a uniform community.

Science, not sure if you are serious about taking a year off, but either way, don't fear people who are different. It's OK to be nervous, it's not OK to think that somehow you are too superior to interact with other people. So, you see a group of students who are talking in another language--forget that, just think how you would approach any group, and do the same. Just go up and ask them what they thought about such and such class or lab or teacher, or if they are planning to pledge a fraternity and which one, or if they are interested in setting up a study session, etc. It is never too late to broaden your horizens and work at making new friends.
best post of the thread

Reactions: 2 users
To put it concisely, it is a matter of communication, but not on my part. Compared to males, I;ve had very few female coworkers who are properly assertive, without being demanding. We've all worked with anal male coworkers as well, but i feel that I encounter fewer. Also, as stated earlier, even the women would rather work with women. I've had a job offer from a female Rph because "there's too much estrogen back here."

Read the book Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. It talks about this in depth. Basically, what you're saying is sexist, because you hold women to different standards of behavior subconsciously. When they act like a man, men and other women consider them to be overaggressive. It has been shown that other women perceive women the same way men do - so stating that other women even prefer to work with men is no proof of anything. Seriously, it's a good read.

Reactions: 1 users
The thing is... men and women think differently so you can't really say it's sexist to treat them differently when they are different.

The thing is... men and women think differently so you can't really say it's sexist to treat them differently when they are different.
Treat them differently in what way?

Treat them differently in what way?

In terms of communicating effectively. Women often use communication to organize/explore thoughts while men often use communication to convey a point or solve a problem. Obviously this isn't some kind of uniform rule but it's highlighted as one of many general differences.

Last edited:
Sharing a common lunchroom microwave with people of Indian decent is offensive to me. #truth

its okay man, as a minority I love white people. Chris Pratt and Judy Greer for the win.

besides my experience with the Southern California Indo Association at USC showed me that Indian girls can be slutty too.
Anjali from pharm school... Those were the days!

I also thought higher education needed more white males. Who do all these woman and other ethnicities think they are? God forbid I be exposed to other people or cultures. This is America for goodness sake!

Reactions: 4 users
I also thought higher education needed more white males. Who do all these woman and other ethnicities think they are? God forbid I be exposed to other people or cultures. This is America for goodness sake!

I'm a white male at my pharmacy school who received a "Diversity Scholarship". I have yet to find other recipients of the Diversity Scholarship at my school who weren't white males.

I'm a white male at my pharmacy school who received a "Diversity Scholarship". I have yet to find other recipients of the Diversity Scholarship at my school who weren't white males.
LOL. Seriously?!

I won the Plough Scholarship - I thought it was "Plow" Because the two winners were the white farm boys from the midwest

Reactions: 2 users
Read the book Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.
I'll make an effort

what you're saying is sexist, because you hold women to different standards of behavior subconsciously.

probably because they are in fact, different. Not in a bad way, but noone will deny that men and women overall behave differently.

When they act like a man.
See? That's sexist.

It has been shown that other women perceive women the same way men do - so stating that other women even prefer to work with men is no proof of anything. Seriously, it's a good read.

I know the difference between assertive and aggressive behavior, and how to identify it regardless of gender. I've worked alongside plenty of women who were effective communicators and handled situations without being aggressive. I've also worked with males who were hard-headed control freaks.

if they truly are international students, they're brave enough to face a foreign culture in pursuit of a high quality education. the least you could do is offer them the same courtesy.

After typing up my thoughts on all of this, I decided to not touch this even with a 10 foot pole. It's very tempting, though...

Best,

Apotheker2015

Last edited:
MCPHS University Boston made its 3rd floor pretty much the middle east. I - being the dip I am- went around asking everyone if they saw "the new weird showers that had no doors and fancy tile installed in the 3rd floor bathrooms?" Yea.... they were footwashes/bathes. In case you're as clueless as I am, they use these before/after they pray. This leads me to my next matter of discussion...

Outside these footwashes is a room (with a dignified *cough* piece of paper taped to the door marking it "prayer room") that I also stupidly pranced into because I wanted to know why it was so dark. I could vaguely make out shadows of figures sitting there (by the way - they weren't praying; I could see cell phones.) I want to mention, when I would enter this foot wash bathroom, I got glared at like I was commiting a felony. I'm sorry. Until there's another piece of paper marking it "no whites allowed - muslim footwash bathroom only" I will empty my bladder wherever I please.

Also, numerous students saw some staff member using a menorah as a doorstop. If this isn't just beyond enraging, I don't know what is. I understand wanting to respect the muslim religion, but if you are going to make allowances for one, then you should make allowances for all. I would like a Catholic/Christian chapel for myself to go "pray" in (or play with my cell in), and the Jewish members of the school, when tired of picking their menorahs up off the floor, should be able to retire to their temple.

I now step off my soapbox.

nessa1989

As a muslim and being at MCPHS worcester, I saw first hand the royal treatment some of these " saudi students" would get. It always puzzled me that some of them couldn't even string two english sentences together and yet they managed to pass a class like healthcare and other classes that require comprehension and yet people who were born in the states managed to fail them. I even recall that when video recording was taken away from us, some how these students had special access to them. Right now in the united states, education became a business and lots of programs and special treatments is allocated to these saudi students, because their government pays cash to the school and they get paid more compared to non-international student.

However, at the end of the day if your roots are rotten, no amount of education or titles can change who you're. I'm a muslim and I dislike these special accommodations and I agree with you, if you're going to accommodate us then you treat everyone equally.

However, the biggest problem I fear is that now with influx of all these students here and how easy for them to obtain a visa, it's the easiest way for some radicals to come here as students and start creating sleeper cells.

Just my two cents.