My committee letter might not be done until May!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kef318

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met with my pre-health advisor this afternoon so that she could review my PS and answer any other questions.

She informed me that the my letter writers cannot upload their letters until May! She said this is out of her control and this is how the school operates (University of Pittsburgh). I'm afraid this may delay my application (I'm not sure how long the committee takes).

I was hoping to have everything ready at the open of the next cycle. I'm taking my DAT on June 25th and realize my application will not be complete for a few weeks after that.

Am I in a panic over nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

The first batch isn't even sent out until the end of June. So long as they get your committee letter done by mid-July or so, I think you're fine. The general rule is just to get everything in before August and you'll be "early" enough.

Why don't you just ask how long the committee usually takes? That might quell some of your fears.

Members don't see this ad :)
My committee wouldn't start writing my letter until I submitted a DAT score (in mid July). You'll be fine.

That's FINE. You're ahead of schedule :) My schools committee letters didn't go out until October for most people! (Good thing I decided not to get the committee letter and applied early..)

I'll tack on to what longcatislong said. If, for some reason, your advisor tells you that you might not get back your letter until August or later... I'd just look into submitting individual letters. I don't think it is *that* big of a deal. Granted, my school doesn't even offer the option, but I didn't have a committee letter. It wasn't mentioned a single time.

My committee wouldn't start writing my letter until I submitted a DAT score (in mid July). You'll be fine.
Same at my school. But for the letter, you have to do a mock interview. Which they won't do without a DAT score.

Our committee letter wasn't completed until mid June.

My committee wasn't going to send in my letters until October. I didn't use them. I was never asked about it at my interviews. However, for you, it's pretty early. You have plenty of time. So you can still use them.

My school has a committee but I didn't use them. I still got 6 pre-dec and 2 post dec interviews. One of the school that accepted me stated "committee letter preferred"...

My committee letter wasn't complete until September 23 and I got 5 interviews so far.

My school's committee doesn't even start mock interviews (required to receive their letter) until May 1. I'm not sure the turn around time on the letter, but they seem like a great group who legitimately wants to help.