My complicated Expulsion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrtumus

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well here it goes. I was assaulted on campus and so was diagnosed with PTSD. Never really got any treatment for it nor support from family for what happened to me. Then whe the anniversary of the assault approached I had a nightmare and thought my boy friend at the time was the guy who assaulted me. He called the police hoping I would be hospitalized BUT instead I was arrested. womp.
Charges were dismissed on grounds of psychological distress BUT the school decided to expell me, said I was causing too many issues. Plus I was also suicidal at the time and did try to kill myself on campus so they really wanted me gone.

Now I am much better in terms of mental health and want t get back into pursuing PA as a career. I know that I could boost my grades up because I began doing poorly after the assault. I also decided to take a CNA course for HCE since I have been out of the game because I did take a year off after all of this.
Is there anything else I can do to make up for this expulsion on my record. Please don't say I lost my chance as PA because I won't take no for answer. I am ready to fight and do anything.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Let me start off my saying that SDN is not the place to get psychological help. I don't think you're asking for that but it can't be stated enough.

You say that you're in a much better place mentally. Good for you! But make sure you have an ongoing relationship with a mental health practitioner- As someone who has struggled with PTSD I can tell you that it takes years and things can trigger it even after you've gotten to a place where it doesn't affect your daily life.

I'm not informed enough to tell you how your chances look for PA school, but if you were interested in MD (this is preallo btw) expulsion + history of suicide attempts would be HUGE red flags that would not help your application.

I'll let my more informed peers help you with your PA questions.

There is a specific PA forum called "Clinicians" near the bottom of the forum list, but it's a bit slow in terms of traffic. You may want to check there for some extra info.

Why do I feel like I've heard the exact same scenario on SDN before?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is a specific PA forum called "Clinicians" near the bottom of the forum list, but it's a bit slow in terms of traffic. You may want to check there for some extra info
Why do I feel like I've heard the exact same scenario on SDN before?

Because I posted this question waaaay before when I wasn't completely better

Because I posted this question waaaay before when I wasn't completely better
Hmm...okay. Good to hear you have improved. Your UC institution sounds horrible. There may be some programs that reward "reinvention". If you work as a CNA for a period of time and have no more issues, that could be a very good thing for you and could help get you to where you want to go. Keep doing your research!

Hmm...okay. Good to hear you have improved. Your UC institution sounds horrible. There may be some programs that reward "reinvention". If you work as a CNA for a period of time and have no more issues, that could be a very good thing for you and could help get you to where you want to go. Keep doing your research!

Reinvention? I have never heard of that. Can you please elaborate.

Reinvention? I have never heard of that. Can you please elaborate.
"That's who I used to be, and this is me now. I've arrived b*tches!"

Or something like that. You have made specific improvements in your life and behavior and have demonstrated a capacity to engage in something like graduate or professional education.

"That's who I used to be, and this is me now. I've arrived b*tches!"

Or something like that. You have made specific improvements in your life and behavior and have demonstrated a capacity to engage in something like graduate or professional education.

So basically I need to do things to prove to them I have changed? Any suggestions on what I can do?

I would Google "Physician Assistant Forum" and you should get a website that has a lot more traffic about pre-PA and you can ask them what to do about your circumstances. This subsection is mostly for pre-med's and the 2 careers are very different.

Good luck

So basically I need to do things to prove to them I have changed? Any suggestions on what I can do?
It would be very specific to your situation, but improved grades - like you said before - no more problems with dealing with other people, showing that you are in control of your lifestyle and work and put in good hours to show you are committed and willing to learn and grow even more. Be positive and show initiative. Do your best and let it show. That sort of thing. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear that that happened to you. I hope it works out for you and you can achieve your dreams!

Very sorry to hear of your woes, but suggest that PA forums would be a better venue for you than pre-allo.

Well here it goes. I was assaulted on campus and so was diagnosed with PTSD. Never really got any treatment for it nor support from family for what happened to me. Then whe the anniversary of the assault approached I had a nightmare and thought my boy friend at the time was the guy who assaulted me. He called the police hoping I would be hospitalized BUT instead I was arrested. womp.
Charges were dismissed on grounds of psychological distress BUT the school decided to expell me, said I was causing too many issues. Plus I was also suicidal at the time and did try to kill myself on campus so they really wanted me gone.

Now I am much better in terms of mental health and want t get back into pursuing PA as a career. I know that I could boost my grades up because I began doing poorly after the assault. I also decided to take a CNA course for HCE since I have been out of the game because I did take a year off after all of this.
Is there anything else I can do to make up for this expulsion on my record. Please don't say I lost my chance as PA because I won't take no for answer. I am ready to fight and do anything.

Thank you

Thank you

This comes off a bit alarming, and I hope you don't say anything like this in a potential interview or personal statement. There is no "fighting" or "doing anything", only your commitment to your decision and your willingness to succeed influence your chances of becoming a PA at this point. Solid grades, connections, and clinical hours are what will help you moving forward. Proof that you've changed and recovered. I do wish you the best, I know that people can change for the better. Remember that if you do want to be a PA, things like "I won't take no for an answer" can't be in your vocabulary when taking care of a patient. I'm not saying this to offend you, but I want you to be informed of your decision. Being a good healthcare professional requires self control and commitment that you will have to demonstrate moving forward. You have a scar on your record, but you can use that as an advantage if you are very serious about helping others.

This comes off a bit alarming, and I hope you don't say anything like this in a potential interview or personal statement. There is no "fighting" or "doing anything", only your commitment to your decision and your willingness to succeed influence your chances of becoming a PA at this point. Solid grades, connections, and clinical hours are what will help you moving forward. Proof that you've changed and recovered. I do wish you the best, I know that people can change for the better. Remember that if you do want to be a PA, things like "I won't take no for an answer" can't be in your vocabulary when taking care of a patient. I'm not saying this to offend you, but I want you to be informed of your decision. Being a good healthcare professional requires self control and commitment that you will have to demonstrate moving forward. You have a scar on your record, but you can use that as an advantage if you are very serious about helping others.

I am VERY serious the only reason I mentioned that I wouldn't take no for an answer is because I have heard people say that I should quit and give up on my dream. I can not imagine anything else but becoming a PA and am willing to go the extra mile. I was hoping that people on this forum could advise me on how I can turn this 'scar; on my record to my advantage.

I am VERY serious the only reason I mentioned that I wouldn't take no for an answer is because I have heard people say that I should quit and give up on my dream. I can not imagine anything else but becoming a PA and am willing to go the extra mile. I was hoping that people on this forum could advise me on how I can turn this 'scar; on my record to my advantage.
Just make sure you're ready to go back to school. There's nothing wrong with taking time off to get better when the alternative is getting more "scars" on your record.

They have by saying its probably best if you reach out to the pre-PA forums since things are a little different on this side of the coin.

Reactions: 1 users
The expulsion will always be on your record. The best you can do is to explain that your health deteriorated after you were assaulted and the school took an aggressive approach to get you and your family to take things seriously and to help you see the need for treatment. You will also want to have evidence, through your accomplishments over several years, to show that you have healed and are capable of maintaining your health even when under stress.

PA programs look for extensive clinical experience and you might do well to have at least a year of full time employment as an EMT or patient care technician or nurses aide before you apply. You could acquire that work experience before going back to finish college, or after.