My DAT Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simplyome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will first start this post off with a warning - please do not take what I say about the DAT to heart. From what I noticed, I read many of the posts of other SDN users about their experience and sort of assumed what would show up on my exam and it was not what I had anticipated. There are so many versions of the exam and there are just too many questions to determine what would show up for your particular test. I will however post how I felt for the hell of it. :D And extend a :) THANK YOU :) to all those who helped me during the studying period.

PAT 19
QR 19
RC 18
BIO 18
GC 23
OC 22
TS 21
AA 20

Preparation
- I studied for about 3 weeks and got sick some time in between. I went through the Kaplan book once, Destroyer and did Topscore tests timed. I did the Achiever questions not timed. When there were concepts I didn't understand I went to my textbooks - which was mainly my first year biology text since that was what I didn't know much about. I am a Biochemistry major so the Chemistrys were my strengths hence I spent more time on Biology considering I haven't taken a lot of the courses such as Human Physiology, Ecology, Evolution, etc. I will have to add - if you are planning to take the DAT's take classes during the year that will help you cause a lot of the questions I got I had to turn to my knowledge from my past courses such as, Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, General Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Metabolism, etc.

PAT - Well I have to say, the angle discrimination was realllllyy hard. As in they all looked the same. I basically skipped through this section and gambled on getting close to perfect on the other sections. All the other sections were quite fair - except I had one question in the Top/Front/End that I swear none of the answers worked. They must have messed up the lines or something cause according to all the answer - they had to be dotted not solid. I got a very good percentile but only got 19 so I'm sort of upset about that. A lot of ppl must have done amazing in this section.

QR - The questions are quite easy it's a matter of finishing the exam. Time is my enemy for this section.

RC
- Mostly factual, maybe 5 tone questions. I was never good at reading composition and don't really know how to improve so 18 is not bad for me.

BIO - Oh god, this section was brutally hard. All that studying I did this past 3 weeks did nothing for me in this section. Destroyer didn't help me. I actually do not know what I could have done to do better in this section. Maybe read my first year Biology textbook front to back? Which I refuse to do cause I am sort of lazy haha. There were many questions I marked and didn't even know what some of the terms were. I took what I knew and did process of elimination and narrowed it down to maybe 2-3 choices. From there if C was an option I picked it and if not I did a little inny-meeny-miney-mo :laugh:.

GC/OC - Both sections were very easy in my opinion. According to my percentile I got 1 wrong in GC and 2 wrong in OC and my standardized score doesn't seem to portray that in my opinion haha. That's what you get with a stupid bell curve. I guess everyone else who took that test thought it was easy too? Destoyer or Kaplan is more than enough for preparing for this section. Actually the GC section had a weird beta decay question that didn't make sense cause of how it was typed into the test. And the OC had a question that I swear none of the answered worked. It was an NMR with 5 peaks and all the answers should have had more than 5 peaks and yes I checked for symmetry. I think they added an extra line by accident or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Also is my RC and Bio going to hurt me since it's sort of low??

Apparently you haven't been seeing the 15s and 16s on QR on many people's DATs...

Yeah, RC and Bio are generally considered the most important subscores, but 18s are just fine.
Your scores are (tony the tiger)GGRRRRRRRRRREAT! :laugh:
Don't worry, you're fine. Assuming you have a decent GPA, your 20AA is very competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preparation - I studied for about 3 weeks and got sick some time in between. I went through the Kaplan book once, Destroyer and did Topscore tests timed. I did the Achiever questions not timed.

You only studied for 3 weeks? For those three weeks were you studying all day long??

You only studied for 3 weeks? For those three weeks were you studying all day long??

Basically I was studying all day long. I would get up - study - eat - study - eat - study - eat - study - sleep lol. And repeat this cycle. A few days I didn't do that cause well I got sick and I had a birthday where I turned 21 so I sort of celebrated lol. You have to remember though I didn't really study for the Chemistrys that much , I went over Destroyer and practice test to see what I had forgotten from classes. RC and PAT was just whatever I got from the tests and I read over techniques for it in the Kaplan book. And QR I studied only 2 days before cause I have always been good at math. That whole 3 weeks I basically studied Biology and didn't do as well as I had hoped.

My GPA is 3.6 so is that considered competitive? My school actually doesn't use a 4.0 system so I'm not really sure how that measures up.