My dilemma of choosing Psych/Soc review book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medaholic Dr

Houston, we've a problem !
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello forum,
I'm struggling with choosing Psych/soc review book. Here's my take on following books as per other students reviews.

Kaplan -
Pros: Well organized and has precise content review required to know about this section published by AAMC.
Cons: Only stand alone questions. No passages.

TPR -
Pros: Has one passage based questions per chapter.
Cons: Goes into minute details not required for the MCAT. Also, some parts of content review are not clear and hard to understand.

EK -
Pros: Has 30 minute passage styled exam per chapter.
Cons: Doesn't have thorough content review. Just a refresher.

What are your opinions regarding above books? Which one should I go ahead and buy?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You answered your own question. If EK has no cons then that's your winner!
He states that EK does not have a thorough review of the content, which he lists as a con.
I agree, that is my fear as well in regard to purchasing EK, I love that they have the passage based questions after each chapter but I worry that their content review will not cover everything I need to know.

For what it's worth OP, I used Kaplan for the 'old' MCAT and I think I will do the same for the 2015 MCAT. They seemed appropriately thorough though, as you said, they lack the passage based questions. And I've read from quite a few sources that TPR (their current edition for 2015 MCAT) has an abundance of typos and incorrect formulas i.e. physics.

Have you considered buying access to the AAMC practice test? I believe it's $25 and you can access it up to 20 times for that price. You can also buy the practice questions from the 4th edition of "The Official Guide to the MCAT" for $10, but that's just the questions. I'm using Kaplan for review, but I also got access to the practice exam and those questions b/c I got an AAMC fee waiver, so I plan to go that route.