My EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SavantFtw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to get the opinion from you guys.
Whether if you think they are good or not.

Teaching English as a volunteer for adults. 1 year+ (Does this count as leadership?)

Member of "The Society of American Magicians" Been doing magic since high school as a hobby and partly for fun with random strangers in public.

Member of the "American Checkers Federation" I've always loved playing checkers, the board game, to avoid confusions. This association is for "professional" players which play in statewide and national tournaments. I am a Master rank on online websites and I rank as "Expert" within the Federation. Not sure if it's even worth mentioning.

I run an online Magician Community for Professional magicians, been doing that since 2007 but not sure if it counts as EC. I'm a web developer. (Self-taught)

Lastly, I am into Forex investing and currency exchanging online as a form of making money on the side. Not sure if this is even an EC.

Will begin participating in Houston Habitat for Humanity soon.

Member at a few honor societies at my university.

I know that my EC's are a bit odd but I want to get the opinion of as many people as I can.

I have research and working on getting more clinical experience.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I wanted to get the opinion from you guys.
Whether if you think they are good or not.

Teaching English as a volunteer for adults. 1 year+ (Does this count as leadership?)

Member of "The Society of American Magicians" Been doing magic since high school as a hobby and partly for fun with random strangers in public.

Member of the "American Checkers Federation" I've always loved playing checkers, the board game, to avoid confusions. This association is for "professional" players which play in statewide and national tournaments. I am a Master rank on online websites and I rank as "Expert" within the Federation. Not sure if it's even worth mentioning.

I run an online Magician Community for Professional magicians, been doing that since 2007 but not sure if it counts as EC. I'm a web developer. (Self-taught)

Lastly, I am into Forex investing and currency exchanging online as a form of making money on the side. Not sure if this is even an EC.

Will begin participating in Houston Habitat for Humanity soon.

Member at a few honor societies at my university.

I know that my EC's are a bit odd but I want to get the opinion of as many people as I can.

I have research and working on getting more clinical experience.

Thanks.

I might not list every one of these as a separate thing on the AMCAS. Maybe pick a few fun things to include, but don't forget that medical schools are judging if you would be a good physician. These would only help you during an interview and give your interviewer more stuff to ask you about.

I might not list every one of these as a separate thing on the AMCAS. Maybe pick a few fun things to include, but don't forget that medical schools are judging if you would be a good physician. These would only help you during an interview and give your interviewer more stuff to ask you about.

Thanks for your opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some shadowing, and community service or you are doomed.

I had 6 years of medical interpreting this year and they still said I needed more "shadowing" experience.

I had 6 years of medical interpreting this year and they still said I needed more "shadowing" experience.

is shadowing really THAT important? my advisers told me that shadowing is the least important EC since you're not contributing anything to anybody

and would ~1 yr of shadowing a single doc be considered enough?

is shadowing really THAT important? my advisers told me that shadowing is the least important EC since you're not contributing anything to anybody

and would ~1 yr of shadowing a single doc be considered enough?

Shadowing is most certainly important, and I think most schools wouldn't count medical interpreting as shadowing exactly.
You may not be contributing much to the patients, but schools need to see that you've been exposed to the physician's workplace enough to make an informed decision about whether or not you want to have that kind of lifestyle. That's also why more than just one or two days of shadowing is needed.

What do you constitute "community service" to be?