My first conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunealoneal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

In January, I'll be attending an ASCO conference (my first) in a far away city where I will be presenting a poster. Any advice?

Is this a setting where I can make connections? I know that I'll be standing in front of my poster at a designated time, but what should I be doing for the rest of my time? I'm going by myself so I'd like to be as "productive" as possible. Is it generally acceptable to approach presenters and ask them questions? Not sure what I'd ask since I know so little clinically, but something might strike me. I thought about attending a resident/fellow mixer but that seemed inappropriate for a med student.

Also, my school is giving us free business cards. Would it be ridiculous for me to have them available or (bolder still) hand them out? I was also recently told by a friend in psychology that making handouts of the material I covered on my poster with my info on it might be a good idea. Does that hold true for medical conferences as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't think too much about it.

Just go, present your stuff, walk around, try to enjoy the city. If you meet someone, be nice obviously.

Anything else is overkill.