My grades.. any advice would be much appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMWK11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm in first year doing my bachelor's in Chemistry, and I'm doing absolutely terribly on one of my courses. How badly will this affect my chances of getting into med school?

I'm doing okay in my other classes, but physics this semester is really killing my average
I thought if i'm doing too poorly, i'll just retake it, but to be honest, i really really really would much rather eat my socks.

Please don't take this lightly or treat me as though I'm overreacting because i'm "only in first year." I've been stressed for ages because I've had people tell me that one bad grade can ruin your chances because medical schools look not at the overall grade but at each individual course. I don't know how true this is, and I need someone to tell me whether or not i'll be okay.

thank you
cheers!

[UPDATE] lots of thanks to everyone for helping out! I'm just gonna try my best and see how it goes. the semester is almost over and boy am I relieved to be so close to the finish.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One bad grade won't ruin your chances. In fact, a few bad grades won't ruin you either. Look at the big picture and figure out what you need to do to get those A's and B's. Good luck.

I don't think you're overreacting. The struggle is real. We've all been there! I wish I had worried as much about my GPA as you do, then maybe my overall GPA would have been much better, ha! o_O

That being said, I think you can rest easy. I don't know this from first-hand experience (because I haven't started applying to MD programs yet) but the general consensus around here is that one bad grade will absolutely not ruin your chances for medical school. Just try to get through this one, get extra help or tutoring if this is a pre-req for further physics courses, and if you do bomb it, re-take and ace it. I know it sounds like you'd rather gauge your eye out than take physics again but doing it now will take a whole bunch of stress off of you later. Adcoms like to see upward trends in GPA so if you can stick it out and keep doing well for the remainder of college, you should have no problem getting accepted.

Just remember to take deep breaths every once in awhile! Don't listen to those people who tell you otherwise--you will be fine as long as you keep on being conscientious like you are. Best wishes to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. First of all, an anonymous post on a website like SDN is not the best place to work out anxieties about your coursework. Test anxiety is a real thing, and if this is the problem, you are best served by seeking out help at your institution's counseling services. There is nothing to be ashamed of here -- but it is critical that you get the help that you need.

If, however, you are not feeling anxious about your performance but you are still struggling, you have time to think critically about what it is that you find challenging. Are you struggling with the exams themselves? Are you missing concepts? Are you having trouble getting done all the reading? Do you have enough time to commit to your studies?

Many of us on this website can help with the problems in my second paragraph, but the first paragraph is beyond our grasp. You are encouraged to seek out counseling services if you are feeling anxious about your academics - or anything else for that matter.

Reactions: 2 users
I second the above. There are several med students on SDN who had Fs on their college transcripts. That said, you should obviously do your best to determine why you are having trouble with physics and, once you know that, you can go about fixing the problem.

people tell me that one bad grade can ruin your chances because medical schools look not at the overall grade but at each individual course.

These are probably the same people who think people in a radio tech program at a community college are in medical school. Don't listen to them because they don't know what they're taking about.

All the best.

Okay so I'm in first year doing my bachelor's in Chemistry, and I'm doing absolutely terribly on one of my courses. How badly will this affect my chances of getting into med school?

I'm doing okay in my other classes, but physics this semester is really killing my average
I thought if i'm doing too poorly, i'll just retake it, but to be honest, i really really really would much rather eat my socks.

Please don't take this lightly or treat me as though I'm overreacting because i'm "only in first year." I've been stressed for ages because I've had people tell me that one bad grade can ruin your chances because medical schools look not at the overall grade but at each individual course. I don't know how true this is, and I need someone to tell me whether or not i'll be okay.

thank you
cheers!

First of all, provide more info as to exactly how "bad" you are doing in physics? Are we talking bad as in nearing the F range? C range? or the B range?
Without further info we can't do much to help you here. How much do you spend studying per week for lectures? Do you read the textbook and understand the homework?

Hi. First of all, an anonymous post on a website like SDN is not the best place to work out anxieties about your coursework. Test anxiety is a real thing, and if this is the problem, you are best served by seeking out help at your institution's counseling services. There is nothing to be ashamed of here -- but it is critical that you get the help that you need.

If, however, you are not feeling anxious about your performance but you are still struggling, you have time to think critically about what it is that you find challenging. Are you struggling with the exams themselves? Are you missing concepts? Are you having trouble getting done all the reading? Do you have enough time to commit to your studies?

Many of us on this website can help with the problems in my second paragraph, but the first paragraph is beyond our grasp. You are encouraged to seek out counseling services if you are feeling anxious about your academics - or anything else for that matter.

I don't think I suffer from test anxiety, as I'm okay with other tests. My problem is that I don't have enough time to study for it because I'm focusing on other courses, and when I do get the chance to read the textbook, it's all gibberish. I've quit attending classes, because the prof is legit rubbish. He contradicts himself all the time and he never seems sure about what he's teaching (half the time he sounds like he's trying to convince himself). I've tried the tutoring programs at uni but they haven't been helpful, so for now I've just accepted the fact that I'm not going to do well, and by that I mean a grade somewhere in the 70s (i think that corresponds to a C; we don't use letter grades).
I just needed to know whether or not it's going to have a really bad effect on any prospects in the future. that's all. and it's making me stressed out cause I feel like this grade is gonna ruin my life.

I don't think I suffer from test anxiety, as I'm okay with other tests. My problem is that I don't have enough time to study for it because I'm focusing on other courses, and when I do get the chance to read the textbook, it's all gibberish. I've quit attending classes, because the prof is legit rubbish. He contradicts himself all the time and he never seems sure about what he's teaching (half the time he sounds like he's trying to convince himself). I've tried the tutoring programs at uni but they haven't been helpful, so for now I've just accepted the fact that I'm not going to do well, and by that I mean a grade somewhere in the 70s (i think that corresponds to a C; we don't use letter grades).
I just needed to know whether or not it's going to have a really bad effect on any prospects in the future. that's all. and it's making me stressed out cause I feel like this grade is gonna ruin my life.

One grade won't kill you. And if you find that you don't have enough time to study on a regular basis and have had this problem in other semesters, you should lighten the course load and take some summer courses so you have more time to study. I'm also concerned about the textbook "gibberish" comment.

thank you
cheers!

[UPDATE] lots of thanks to everyone for helping out! I'm just gonna try my best and see how it goes. the semester is almost over and boy am I relieved to be so close to the finish.

This is gonna sound rash, but trust me...

Change your major to Biology.

Take it from me- I doubled in chem and bio and really regretted it. The classes you have to take for a chem degree are far tougher than anything a biology class can throw at you. Classes like advanced organic and pchem will suck-up time that could be used for your bio requirements...

You mentioned physics. You're most likely taking calc-based bc of your chem requirements. If you switched majors, you could take the typical physics for bio majors... It's a far easier course.

Think about your goal: medical school.

If you have a special attachment to chemistry, stick with it. As for me, these classes did nothing but hurt my GPA and I won't need them to practice medicine.

GL

This is gonna sound rash, but trust me...

Change your major to Biology.

Take it from me- I doubled in chem and bio and really regretted it. The classes you have to take for a chem degree are far tougher than anything a biology class can throw at you. Classes like advanced organic and pchem will suck-up time that could be used for your bio requirements...

You mentioned physics. You're most likely taking calc-based bc of your chem requirements. If you switched majors, you could take the typical physics for bio majors... It's a far easier course.

Think about your goal: medical school.

If you have a special attachment to chemistry, stick with it. As for me, these classes did nothing but hurt my GPA and I won't need them to practice medicine.

GL

i enjoy both biology and chemistry and i have no preference for either one but the big reason I'm in chem is because the chemistry program at my university is MUCH smaller than either biology or biochem (I'm not even exaggerating with numbers; this year there are 1,500 entering biochem and bio students. whereas for chemistry there are only around 120).

so i would go into bio, simply because it's a lot easier, but that also means that there's more competition for awards and research positions.
And it may seem like it's not worth sticking with a program just for a higher chance of getting scholarships but the thing is I don't come from a well-off family, so right now i'm paying my half of my tuition using scholarships and the other half using loans.

yeah it's a hard program, but I'm only in first year and I don't know yet whether or not I can handle the upper year courses, but wouldn't it be better for me to wait it out and see how well (or poorly) i'll do in future chemistry courses?

thank you for your feedback, i'll definitely consider your advice, especially because of how much physics is gonna affect my gpa.

If your progess
i enjoy both biology and chemistry and i have no preference for either one but the big reason I'm in chem is because the chemistry program at my university is MUCH smaller than either biology or biochem (I'm not even exaggerating with numbers; this year there are 1,500 entering biochem and bio students. whereas for chemistry there are only around 120).

so i would go into bio, simply because it's a lot easier, but that also means that there's more competition for awards and research positions.
And it may seem like it's not worth sticking with a program just for a higher chance of getting scholarships but the thing is I don't come from a well-off family, so right now i'm paying my half of my tuition using scholarships and the other half using loans.

yeah it's a hard program, but I'm only in first year and I don't know yet whether or not I can handle the upper year courses, but wouldn't it be better for me to wait it out and see how well (or poorly) i'll do in future chemistry courses?

thank you for your feedback, i'll definitely consider your advice, especially because of how much physics is gonna affect my gpa.

If your professor is truly bad (and that happens) I recommend using MIT OCW. I use it for all my physics courses. The materials and lectures are great.

Reactions: 1 user

I was in a similar financial position during undergrad. You learn to live with the loans...

As for research positions, you can probably still to chemistry research if your school allows it.

Grades are important for med school and since you don't intend on being a chemist, why not take the path of least resistance?

GL

One of the things you need to be aware of is that you're going to be surrounded by a LOT of extremely ignorant people. Medical schools certainly do NOT look at a single course and weed you out if you do poorly.

Your school has a learning or education center; go seek them out and get help with your learning styles, and test taking. You'll pick up some skills that will serve you very well now and in medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
One of the things you need to be aware of is that you're going to be surrounded by a LOT of extremely ignorant people. Medical schools certainly do NOT look at a single course and weed you out if you do poorly.

Your school has a learning or education center; go seek them out and get help with your learning styles, and test taking. You'll pick up some skills that will serve you very well now and in medical school.

Seriously. If a few bad grades could sink you, my 2 C's in Quantum Mechanics and Calc 2 would have done it!