my hair is died purple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clowiebear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how big of a deal? it's a dip dye~so only the bottom parts of my hair, and i think i'll be able to hide it reasonably well, but does anybody have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

That is generally not considered professional. You should most likely get rid of the purple dye.

Don't go to an interview with purple color in your hair. It's unprofessional and doesn't make a good impression in such a conservative field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not under any circumstances attend a medical school interview with purple dye in your hair.

Unless you want to go out of your way to prove everyone wrong so you can rub it in their faces later.

TBH, I'm not sure I could pull that off casually. ;)

Do not under any circumstances attend a medical school interview with purple dye in your hair.

Unless you want to go out of your way to prove everyone wrong so you can rub it in their faces later.
They seem to have an acceptance at least.

Then they can rub it in my face.

That's how I like it anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
If you can hide the bottom part, there is no issue.

Last edited:
how big of a deal? it's a dip dye~so only the bottom parts of my hair, and i think i'll be able to hide it reasonably well, but does anybody have experience with this?
Don't worry, medical schools will still exist when you grow up.

Reactions: 32 users
Don't worry, medical schools will still exist when you grow up.
Ah yes, because having colored hair clearly means you're immature, rather than just, say, enjoying having colored hair.

If you can totally hide it, do that. If not, maybe test out temporary hairspray color (like the kind people use for Halloween) to see if that covers up the color and isn't noticeable (in terms of both color and texture, since I'm not sure what that stuff feels like) to cover it up for interviews. Otherwise, you're going to have to dye it back to "normal."

I waited til my interviews were over, then dyed my hair and kept it dyed until I started a job over the summer that I had to change it for. Debating dying it back, though, since I know several other medical students who have partially or completely dyed hair who say they haven't had any issues with doctors or patients, so we'll see. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Albino's answer was snarky, but he has a point. If you're not ready to conform to the general societal expectations of what a physician looks like, then maybe you should work in another field that is more forgiving of you expressing yourself and doing your own thing until you are ready. Most patients don't want to to see a doctor who has purple hair. Therefore, most employers (including med school adcoms) don't want to hire one. And as much as I like the color purple, I'll confess that I wouldn't particularly like it if I showed up to my doctor's appointment to see a purple-haired doc either....unless it was Halloween.

Reactions: 10 users
Had a girl in my class get in with a bright blue steak in her hair. Granted, she was kind of a different sort of applicant from the beginning, so it really fit with who she was (unusual major, traveled the world studding Buddhism and wrote a book about it, etc). Still, it's a big risk, I really wouldn't recommend it. You're probably hurting your chances in the name of a hairstyle you will likely regret seeing in pictures 20 years from now.

Ah yes, because having colored hair clearly means you're immature, rather than just, say, enjoying having colored hair.

I can tell you the reaction that most older physicians I know would have and that I am somewhat sympathetic to: medicine isn't about what you enjoy. Your job is to project an image that makes patients feel comfortable and willing to trust you with potentially life-altering decisions. If you're not ok with sacrificing coloring your hair to do that then you should reevaluate your priorities.

Reactions: 10 users
If you can hide it with an updo that's fine. For my interviews I have been using a root touch up spray (bought at a local beauty supply store) to hide my blueish peekabo highlights. If your hair is long, I suggest you wear it up because the color will rub off on your skin and clothes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it's just the tips and your hair is long enough put it in a bun, tuck and pin the ends in. Problem solved. If your hair is short you need to get rid of the color. No reason to give the wrong impression. Perhaps temporary color that will rinse out without ruining your purple color.

Frankly, I don't think employers or interviewers should be able to take body modifications into consideration as long as the modification isn't offensive (swastika tattoos, for example).

However, the baby boomers are prejudiced in this manner, and they still have a disproportionate influence on American society. If you want to be successful in your interview, remove it.

Frankly, I don't think employers or interviewers should be able to take body modifications into consideration as long as the modification isn't offensive (swastika tattoos, for example).

However, the baby boomers are prejudiced in this manner, and they still have a disproportionate influence on American society. If you want to be successful in your interview, remove it.
Student interviewers are at least as likely to object to aberrant appearance or behavior!
We are a service profession. As such, a primary goal is the development of a therapeutic relationship.
We can presume that candidates are presenting their "best" selves at the interview and that their day to day appearance can be expected to be somewhat less standardized. If the people we serve will be scared or distrustful because of a student's chosen appearance, that would violate our agreement with the hospitals where students learn and serve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users

Just for clarification, how did you diagnose your hairs' death? Based on it turning purple?

Also, what's with the increase in mostly not useful/troll threads? Reaction to the thread about the reddit premed stuff? Random internet wanderers? Minimally self aware robots trying to take our jobs?

However, the baby boomers are prejudiced in this manner, and they still have a disproportionate influence on American society.

It's not just baby boomers. I don't want to see my lawyer with purple hair, I don't want to see my doctor with purple hair, I don't want to see my banker with purple hair, I don't want to see my accountant with purple hair. It gives the impression of being flip, and these are the professions in which I need people helping me who aren't flip. These are weighty matters. Ditto for piercings in their faces. No.

Reactions: 5 users
What is everyone's opinion on longer male hair? Not long enough for a pony-tail, more like half-way down the neck, covering ears, and slight bangs? Was wondering if I should get it cut short before an interview and decided to hijack this hair thread.

And who will decide which modifications are offensive? You? Your entire generation? Ahem, social convention?

Your post merely proves the point that Millennials are just as "biased" against behaviors that go against their conduct norms as older people are. Exerting pressure on others to follow social convention is hardly just a generation gap thing; if social media is to be believed, bullying the uncool kids is still just as big of an issue among adolescents today as it was for the generations before yours. Sure, the conventions themselves change over time, but someone your age who doesn't have the same beliefs and self-expressions as the majority do is just as likely to be sanctioned for it in some way as someone my age (I'm a Gen Xer) or your parents' age (assuming they're Boomers) or my parents' age (they're pre-Boomers).

Reactions: 9 users
What is everyone's opinion on longer male hair? Not long enough for a pony-tail, more like half-way down the neck, covering ears, and slight bangs? Was wondering if I should get it cut short before an interview and decided to hijack this hair thread.

It ain't professional either. You should cut it short.

I don't understand the snark. There was a similar thread about attending interviews with tattoo sleeves, and nobody made fun of him. That strikes me as a double standard. If we're going off of my own personal biases, I wouldn't care much about purple hair tips, but I've never liked tattoos.

OP, I would suggest two options: 1) If your hair is long enough, tuck it into a bun. If you can still see purple, buy one of those rubber bands with hair on it to cover it. Or, 2) Cut off the purple tips and re-dye them when you get an acceptance you're happy with.

Reactions: 5 users
Btw many hospitals have policies in place on what colored hair they allow, I would expect that medical students rotating through those hospitals would have to comply.

I honestly don't understand this teenage-like rebellion against social expectations in a professional environment.

Last edited:
I don't understand the snark. There was a similar thread about attending interviews with tattoo sleeves, and nobody made fun of him.

I don't think anyone has made fun of the OP (unless I missed a comment that did)?

If it makes you feel any better, I think tats are just as bad, but at least they can usually be covered up. Face tattoos--I'm running for the hills.

It ain't professional either. You should cut it short.
I was thinking of getting cut to this length, professional enough?:
Man+medium+hairstyle+with+long+bang.PNG

If my only hope of getting into medical school is this long, I might never become a doctor . . . :
Crew-Cut.jpg

Just kidding! But semi-srs.

I honestly don't understand this teenage-like rebellion against social expectations in a professional environment.
I don't understand how you can just accept "social expectations" as a means to dictate your life.
I will note that this is different from expectations from employers that you OPT to obey

Im at LAX returning from vacation with my brother to a location where lots of guys come back with tribal tats.

My brother is not a medical professional, not a baby boomer and is generally laid back. While waiting for our bags, not more than 15 minutes ago, a woman walked by with pink hair and he asked what I thought. This led to a conversation about the tats that our fellow travelers had and he said, "I don't want to see a doctor or any other professional with tattoos or unnatural colored hair." His take on it is that such things are evidence of being ego centric.

So it's not just Baby Boomers or old fashioned doctors that think that way. Hide or change the hair color/tats/piercings/ghetto fab nails etc

I was thinking of getting cut to this length, professional enough?:
Man+medium+hairstyle+with+long+bang.PNG

If my only hope of getting into medical school is this long, I might never become a doctor . . . :
Crew-Cut.jpg

Just kidding! But semi-srs.
You do realize hair grows back right?

I love Zac Efron but that hair is too long and messy in a Millenial sort of way for med school interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
Albino's answer was snarky, but he has a point. If you're not ready to conform to the general societal expectations of what a physician looks like, then maybe you should work in another field that is more forgiving of you expressing yourself and doing your own thing until you are ready. Most patients don't want to to see a doctor who has purple hair. Therefore, most employers (including med school adcoms) don't want to hire one. And as much as I like the color purple, I'll confess that I wouldn't particularly like it if I showed up to my doctor's appointment to see a purple-haired doc either....unless it was Halloween.
It seems more the other way around...med school adcoms and hospital admins don't like to hire doctors with colored hair, so most people don't see them. I've seen some med students and residents dye their hair after making it to where they are, and I've never seen the patients react negatively. However, they're few and far between, so nothing concrete, obviously. But really, how do we know how the patients would react if we only very rarely get the chance to see such a situation?

I don't understand how you can just accept "social expectations" as a means to dictate your life.
I will note that this is different from expectations from employers that you OPT to obey

Medicine is a service profession. You could choose not to enter medicine.

Medicine is a service profession. You could choose not to enrer medicine.
There are plenty of service professions where such hair is accepted or even expected. The issue here is if the mandate is coming down from the admins rather than up from customer preference.

There are plenty of service professions where such hair is accepted or even expected. The issue here is if the mandate is coming down from the admins rather than up from customer preference.

Patients, not customers.

There are a lot of potential patients who will judge you for having purple hair. That's a fact of life. If purple hair means so much to you that you're willing to annoy or even anger patients, then I think you need to reconsider your priorities.

Patients, not customers.

There are a lot of potential patients who will judge you for having purple hair. That's a fact of life. If purple hair means so much to you that you're willing to annoy or even anger patients, then I think you need to reconsider your priorities.
Sorry, you were going with the 'service industry' angle, I was simply adjusting the terms to match.
They can judge me all they want, that's not the concern. Will they still come to the doctor and get treated as they need to? If yes, they can mutter all they want (and honestly will probably get over it after we actually interact). Given how most offices/clinics work, they'll probably not know about my hair until they're in the room, so then if they don't walk out on principle, the hair is really a nonissue.

Further, how do we really know how patients will react given that the conservative demeanor is set down from the higher-ups?

Reactions: 1 users
I can tell you the reaction that most older physicians I know would have and that I am somewhat sympathetic to: medicine isn't about what you enjoy. Your job is to project an image that makes patients feel comfortable and willing to trust you with potentially life-altering decisions. If you're not ok with sacrificing coloring your hair to do that then you should reevaluate your priorities.
I don't disagree at all - that's exactly what I did. It doesn't mean I don't want to have colored hair, or don't enjoy having colored hair, neither of which is related to my maturity. I don't have it, because I know that patients/employers frequently don't want their doctor (or med student) to have colored hair, but if I can, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I may not be able to until I retire, but believe me, I will be that 60/70/80-year-old with brightly colored hair. :)

You do realize hair grows back right?

I love Zac Efron but that hair is too long and messy in a Millenial sort of way for med school interviews.
I guess hair grows back. I just lose a few confidence points with my real hairline on display. I usually use my bangs to hide it.

I don't think anyone has made fun of the OP (unless I missed a comment that did)?

If it makes you feel any better, I think tats are just as bad, but at least they can usually be covered up. Face tattoos--I'm running for the hills.
Among others, the comment someone made about medical schools still being around once OP grows up was unnecessary.

I don't disagree at all - that's exactly what I did. It doesn't mean I don't want to have colored hair, or don't enjoy having colored hair, neither of which is related to my maturity. I don't have it, because I know that patients/employers frequently don't want their doctor (or med student) to have colored hair, but if I can, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I may not be able to until I retire, but believe me, I will be that 60/70/80-year-old with brightly colored hair. :)
Yup. I won't wait until I'm 80, though, just until I'm an attending with a reasonable reputation.

Sorry, you were going with the 'service industry' angle, I was simply adjusting the terms to match.
They can judge me all they want, that's not the concern. Will they still come to the doctor and get treated as they need to? If yes, they can mutter all they want (and honestly will probably get over it after we actually interact). Given how most offices/clinics work, they'll probably not know about my hair until they're in the room, so then if they don't walk out on principle, the hair is really a nonissue.

Further, how do we really know how patients will react given that the conservative demeanor is set down from the higher-ups?

I find this attitude genuinely disturbing.

Medicine is a service profession. You could choose not to enter medicine.
In my post I said that the view that "society" plays a role is misguided and said that the choice to enter medicine does leave you privy to the expectations of your employer so I am not sure of the purpose of your post.

In my post I said that the view that "society" plays a role is misguided and said that the choice to enter medicine does leave you privy to the expectations of your employer so I am not sure of the purpose of your post.

It's the expectations of the people you're serving, which in this instance are reflected in the expectations of the adcoms.

I guess hair grows back. I just lose a few confidence points with my real hairline on display. I usually use my bangs to hide it.

I'm not sure cry havoc and bangs belong in the same place.

We don't care if you show some forehead.

We might care if you are overly scruffy.

Keep in mind, this is the same for residency and beyond. In fact, among the Milestones one must progress through, at least in my specialty, is professionalism in which grooming is included.

It's the expectations of the people you're serving, which in this instance are reflected in the expectations of the adcoms.
Are there any studies re: patient's perception of doctors with colorfully dyed hair? I'd be interested in seeing what the patients themselves have to say - not just what other people SAY the patients have to say.

I find this attitude genuinely disturbing.
What, the attitude where I care about my patients' wellbeing, but not necessarily about catering to the unnecessarily narrow frame which people use to judge others' abilities? The one where I want to see that patients are actually the ones who care, rather than just the hospital admins?

I will treat people who have different social perspectives than my own, sure...but that doesn't mean that I have to support those views or cater to them, as long as it does not in any way impact their care.

Are there any studies re: patient's perception of doctors with colorfully dyed hair? I'd be interested in seeing what the patients themselves have to say - not just what other people SAY the patients have to say.
Exactly.

If they aren't comfortable with the doctor, they may avoid seeking medical care.

They will fill out surveys about their care after the fact, and if they don't like you, you will hear about it. Your reimbursement may be reduced. You may lose your job.

Your last sentence made no sense. Some higher authority tells people to have a conservative demeanor? Who is this higher authority?

The median age of patients I saw overnight was ~65. At least 2 of them had acute, potentially life threatening pathology. No higher authority was present, just patients and medical staff. Showing up to work professionally groomed goes a long way to show respect to the patient.

I'm not sure cry havoc and bangs belong in the same place.

We don't care if you show some forehead.

We might care if you are overly scruffy.

Keep in mind, this is the same for residency and beyond. In fact, among the Milestones one must progress through, at least in my specialty, is professionalism in which grooming is included.

Which specialty are you?

I know, at least when I see residents in the ER and ICU, their appearance is a little more relaxed. For example, I saw a resident with hair like this once before:
mens-long-hair.jpg

Probably why I always figured my hair would be fine, this thread is what got me nervous.

Trauma surgeons seem to be pretty wild too. I've seen ponytails on some of the older guys and an Asian girl with red highlights.

What, the attitude where I care about my patients' wellbeing, but not necessarily about catering to the unnecessarily narrow frame which people use to judge others' abilities? The one where I want to see that patients are actually the ones who care, rather than just the hospital admins?

I will treat people who have different social perspectives than my own, sure...but that doesn't mean that I have to support those views or cater to them, as long as it does not in any way impact their care.

Exactly.

Do you not care how your appearance makes your patients feel?

Do you not care about how the way your patient feels about his or her physician influences his understanding of your advice and treatment plan?

Do you not care that if you come across as some sort of immature punk to a patient, it might make him or her decide not to follow your treatment advice?

These are real concerns. You can toss them out the window as "I don't care how they feel about my appearance" but reality is that in some instances your appearance can and will have actual, tangible effects on your work. You can write it off as "their problem," but you can't pretend it will simply never happen.

That is why I find that attitude deplorable.

I've seen people throw out colleagues' advice in a sporting goods store because of their hair. It's petty and stupid and I don't agree with it. When selling some hiking boots, it's no big deal. When working as a physician? Not so much.

This thread happens every few months.

Here's your bottom line:

Regardless of reason, if you are groomed in what is considered a non-professional appearing manner, your chances of reaching your professional goal may be adversely affected. There is no upside for you in trying to buck a professional norm.

Posturing on the rightness of this situation is academic. The Catch 22 is that if you want a chance to affect the professional standard in the future, you must first join the profession and will likely need to meet the current standard. Again, your opinion on the matter does not affect the expectation placed on you.

Do you not care how your appearance makes your patients feel?

Do you not care about how the way your patient feels about his or her physician influences his understanding of your advice and treatment plan?

Do you not care that if you come across as some sort of immature punk to a patient, it might make him or her decide not to follow your treatment advice?

These are real concerns. You can toss them out the window as "I don't care how they feel about my appearance" but reality is that in some instances your appearance can and will have actual, tangible effects on your work. You can write it off as "their problem," but you can't pretend it will simply never happen.

That is why I find that attitude deplorable.
It is my job to make information and options available to my patients. If they are narrow-minded enough to disregard information simply because I have a streak of blue in my hair, that is not my fault. There are some patients who would disregard my opinion because I am young, or because I am female. Should I only send in my older, male colleagues to them in order to maximize their compliance in light of their particular social biases?

As long as we limit things such as dyed hair only to those who are young and not yet in professional situations, we continue to reinforce and propagate the idea that that is where they belong. It is a self-fulfilling cycle. Break the chain, let it become something which is not unusual, and those conceptions will begin to fade. It will stop being an issue, and we can all move on and start arguing about whatever the next decade's version of hair dye is.