My list of interview questions for upcoming cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent this to several people over the last cycle through PM and thought why not post it here for everyone to see.

1. So tell me a little about yourself.
2. Why do you want to be a dentist?
4. What differentiates you from the rest of the applicants?
5. I like you and this all sounds great, but what can I go back and tell the admissions committee that will convince them that we want you in our upcoming class
6. Why did you apply to our Dental school (+ what other schools)
9. What type of dental program are you interested in?
10. Can you explain the (A-F) grade you received in this class? OR Your grades slipped in particular semester, any reason?
12. In the past, what has happened to you that has made the biggest impact on your life?
13. We noticed you withdrew from a class, why?
14. Dentists require a great deal of hand coordination. Do you have any relevant experience?
15. Do you think the role of a Dentist has changed, and how so?
16. How did your friends/family react to your interest in Dentistry?
18. Do you have any plans after graduation?
19. What would make you happy 10 years from now?
20. If you had to change anything about yourself, what would it be?
21. How do you spend your free time? OR What do you do to relax?
22.What would you say was the best day or experience you ever had?
23.How do you see yourself, what are your good characteristics?
24.If you could meet anybody, in all of history, and eat dinner with them, who would it be?
25.What do you do when you are stressed out?
26.What are things you dont like about dentistry?
27.Is ____ your first choice?
28.Why, other than wanting to help people, do you want to be a dentist?
29.What is your biggest strength and weakness?
30.Have you been involved in any ethical situations?
31.Tell me what you think would be a negative factor if you attended ____?
32.What was the biggest challenge you've experienced recently?
33.What would you do if you could not go to dental school?
34.What is an important quality that a dentist should have?
35.What do I need to know about you that is important?
36.What is your greatest failure?
37.What is your most effective study style?
38.Why should we accept you over someone with similar or better credentials?
39.Do you like to study in group?

I got asked around 90% of these questions at least once and a good amount of them numerous times through my interviews.

My dental school interviews were actually my first interview experience ever. I actually wrote down the answer for each question and would read it every few days and the morning of my interview/waiting room. After every interview I would add/revise my list and even my answers. Obviously I'm not going to memorize each answer, but it helps get your mindset in the right place and it helps you keep track of points you want to make. You'd be surprise with how many people walked out of interviews, blanking on a typical question and not knowing how to answer it. Know about the school, do your research and dress well(not too big/small and no funeral look). Funny enough how you feel in your clothes will affect your feelings, so put effort into it! Once you finish your first interview, you'll be fine after that.

I tried doing mock interviews with family and friends, but they went embarrassing bad. Funny enough, I did LOADS better during my actual interview. I guess I'm more self conscious with people I actually know. I was really nervous and my first interview was Uconn with two interviewers at the same time! which I thought went surprisingly well and came away with such a high. Yes, these people do have some power, but you're also interviewing them. Its a two way street and they're just strangers. I stopped doing mocks after my first interview and just looked at my sheet and practiced in my head. Be yourself and you'll be okay.

You got this far, your grades are there, your exam scores are done/will be done. Be happy with this special moment in your life. Show that during interviews. Show that you're happy about your choices and that you're confident.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 102 users
To add to OP's post, there's an interview question page specific to each school. It also has great introductions to each schools, which help you a lot in preparing for the question: "why do you want to go here?"

http://schools.studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=medical&reload=1&r=1421808562953

Very few questions that were asked during my interview were not listed and those unexpected questions were easy to answer.

I printed out questions for each school and memorized frequently asked questions like "what got you interested in dentistry?" and practiced others with bullet point cues. I used a recorder to gauge my progress in reducing the number of verbal pauses.

Make sure to prepare good questions to ask your interviewers, this is very important. Ask about clinical requirements, specialty match rate, etc. Not those general questions like
"where do students live?" Not only will answers to those questions help you decide schools later on, but asking good questions will also make you stand out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To add to OP's post, there's an interview question page specific to each school. It also has great introductions to each schools, which help you a lot in preparing for the question: "why do you want to go here?"

Very few questions that were asked during my interview were not listed and those unexpected questions were easy to answer.

I printed out questions for each school and memorized frequently asked questions like "what got you interested in dentistry?" and practiced others with bullet point cues. I used a recorder to gauge my progress in reducing the number of verbal pauses.

Make sure to prepare good questions to ask your interviewers, this is very important. Ask about clinical requirements, specialty match rate, etc. Not those general questions like
"where do students live?" Not only will answers to those questions help you decide schools later on, but asking good questions will also make you stand out.

Good point and something I forgot to include in my original post. There were multiple interviews where people actually walked out and told the students that they blanked out on this question and didn't know what to ask.

I sent this to several people over the last cycle through PM and thought why not post it here for everyone to see.

1. So tell me a little about yourself.
2. Why do you want to be a dentist?
4. What differentiates you from the rest of the applicants?
5. I like you and this all sounds great, but what can I go back and tell the admissions committee that will convince them that we want you in our upcoming class
6. Why did you apply to our Dental school (+ what other schools)
9. What type of dental program are you interested in?
10. Can you explain the (A-F) grade you received in this class? OR Your grades slipped in particular semester, any reason?
12. In the past, what has happened to you that has made the biggest impact on your life?
13. We noticed you withdrew from a class, why?
14. Dentists require a great deal of hand coordination. Do you have any relevant experience?
15. Do you think the role of a Dentist has changed, and how so?
16. How did your friends/family react to your interest in Dentistry?
18. Do you have any plans after graduation?
19. What would make you happy 10 years from now?
20. If you had to change anything about yourself, what would it be?
21. How do you spend your free time? OR What do you do to relax?
22.What would you say was the best day or experience you ever had?
23.How do you see yourself, what are your good characteristics?
24.If you could meet anybody, in all of history, and eat dinner with them, who would it be?
25.What do you do when you are stressed out?
26.What are things you dont like about dentistry?
27.Is ____ your first choice?
28.Why, other than wanting to help people, do you want to be a dentist?
29.What is your biggest strength and weakness?
30.Have you been involved in any ethical situations?
31.Tell me what you think would be a negative factor if you attended ____?
32.What was the biggest challenge you've experienced recently?
33.What would you do if you could not go to dental school?
34.What is an important quality that a dentist should have?
35.What do I need to know about you that is important?
36.What is your greatest failure?
37.What is your most effective study style?
38.Why should we accept you over someone with similar or better credentials?
39.Do you like to study in group?

I got asked around 90% of these questions at least once and a good amount of them numerous times through my interviews.

My dental school interviews were actually my first interview experience ever. I actually wrote down the answer for each question and would read it every few days and the morning of my interview/waiting room. After every interview I would add/revise my list and even my answers. Obviously I'm not going to memorize each answer, but it helps get your mindset in the right place and it helps you keep track of points you want to make. You'd be surprise with how many people walked out of interviews, blanking on a typical question and not knowing how to answer it. Know about the school, do your research and dress well(not too big/small and no funeral look). Funny enough how you feel in your clothes will affect your feelings, so put effort into it! Once you finish your first interview, you'll be fine after that.

I tried doing mock interviews with family and friends, but they went embarrassing bad. Funny enough, I did LOADS better during my actual interview. I guess I'm more self conscious with people I actually know. I was really nervous and my first interview was Uconn with two interviewers at the same time! which I thought went surprisingly well and came away with such a high. Yes, these people do have some power, but you're also interviewing them. Its a two way street and they're just strangers. I stopped doing mocks after my first interview and just looked at my sheet and practiced in my head. Be yourself and you'll be okay.

You got this far, your grades are there, your exam scores are done/will be done. Be happy with this special moment in your life. Show that during interviews. Show that you're happy about your choices and that you're confident.

Good luck!

Which schools did you received an interview and out of those schools, which ones were you accepted as well?

Which schools did you received an interview and out of those schools, which ones were you accepted as well?

I interviewed at most north eastern schools. You can send me a pm if you want specific details on one.

bummmp

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for this! I think this will be very helpful come interview time! I just took a screenshot so I could look at these later :)

So in addition to those you mentioned I should also ask questions about NBDE, NBME CBSE passing rates, externship opportunities, curriculum scheduling (is their summer school, etc), or even how the presence of speciality programs at the school may affect experiences in clinic (maybe you miss out on certain things since they give it to the residents instead?), existing upper class mentorship programs for students still in pre-clinic, terminal research (possibly survey of underrepresented areas to quantify and extrapolate changes to improve guidelines for preventative care, etc)?

So in addition to those you mentioned I should also ask questions about NBDE, NBME CBSE passing rates, externship opportunities, curriculum scheduling (is their summer school, etc), or even how the presence of speciality programs at the school may affect experiences in clinic (maybe you miss out on certain things since they give it to the residents instead?), existing upper class mentorship programs for students still in pre-clinic, terminal research (possibly survey of underrepresented areas to quantify and extrapolate changes to improve guidelines for preventative care, etc)?[/QUOTE

Have like two-three questions for the school. Theres a moment at the end of the interview where they want to know if you have any questions. I usually asked a general question such as externship opportunities, and also a question specific to the school like CASE and there simulation clinics or UCONN and their medical curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have like two-three questions for the school. Theres a moment at the end of the interview where they want to know if you have any questions. I usually asked a general question such as externship opportunities, and also a question specific to the school like CASE and there simulation clinics or UCONN and their medical curriculum.
I was watching a YouTube video hosted by adea and one of the admission committee from a dental school mentioned that it's bad to ask a question you could have easily found the answer to on the website. So this should serve as a warning to everyone instead of asking a yes or no question, you can ask them to elaborate on something you read on their website. Or something you didn't find on the website, don't ask for the sake of asking.

Reactions: 4 users
My questions will be...

Are we allowed to drink coffee during clinicals and when will I get the acceptance letter.

What else is there to ask?

Oh and what is the wifi password.

Reactions: 14 users
I was having a conversation with my dad about the possible question "can a dentist make too much money?" He paused for a second and said, "well, that Mercedes ain't gonna buy itself."

Thanks, dad.

Reactions: 1 users
These questions are awesome! About to use them for the few interviews I have coming up. Random question: what color suit did most males where at your interviews? I have both a black and charcoal gray suit, but I am stuck on which one to wear. I wasn't sure if there was a standard color or not.

Just don't look like you're going to a funeral lol

Reactions: 2 users
bumppp

For the tell me about yourself question, what should we mention?
Like where I'm from or really work experience and extracurriculars? Also is it appropriate to say how many siblings you have؟

Last edited:
So is wearing a black suit with a white shirt and a black skinny tie bad?

So is wearing a black suit with a white shirt and a black skinny tie bad?
Yes. This look should be reserved for funerals, weddings and other very formal occasions. Light suit with a dark shirt and light tie does not look good either, think of "mafia" looks. Medium colors with light shirt and dark tie. Not sure about the skinny tie

Yes. This look should be reserved for funerals, weddings and other very formal occasions. Light suit with a dark shirt and light tie does not look good either, think of "mafia" looks. Medium colors with light shirt and dark tie. Not sure about the skinny tie
So you talking more like black suit light bluish shirt or something and black tie?

Black suit, white shirt and black tie is fine in my opinion.. Skinny ties are in style (again). I have a black suit, pin stripes, white shirt and usually a lighter tie because it pops a little more... I doubt anyone will think you look like you are at a funeral, wedding etc.... If you are a recent grad with a tight budget and have a black suit, I say go with it.

Black suit, white shirt and black tie is fine in my opinion.. Skinny ties are in style (again). I have a black suit, pin stripes, white shirt and usually a lighter tie because it pops a little more... I doubt anyone will think you look like you are at a funeral, wedding etc.... If you are a recent grad with a tight budget and have a black suit, I say go with it.
Preciate it, and I agree with you.

So you talking more like black suit light bluish shirt or something and black tie?
If black suit is all you have, then it is fine - no need to spend any more money. White shirt with it would be a bit too much though

For the tell me about yourself question, what should we mention?
Like where I'm from or really work experience and extracurriculars? Also is it appropriate to say how many siblings you have؟

where I was raised, where I graduated from, why i picked the major, 1-2 hobbies and how i found dentistry.

buuummmmpppp

On the topic of interview, can someone help me with what to bring to the interview? For both male and female.

Yourself in a suit.

Some people bring a leather portfolio folder, personally I don't think it's necessary but it's ultimately up to you.

On the topic of interview, can someone help me with what to bring to the interview? For both male and female.
Female: I bring a bag with a notepad, pen, extra water and a backup pair of flats (in case your feet hurt with heels). I also would recommend bringing bandaids if your shoes aren't the comfiest!

So some unexpected things I experienced (this cycle I've interviewed at NYU, Penn and Pittsburgh so far):

NYU:
The first thing my interviewer says is that my parents must be so proud. I was really shocked by this- as I expected to be grilled not complimented. If anyone finds themselves in the same situation I think it's a great time to show humility. I responded I could not have succeeded without them. So definitely be prepared to accept compliments if your interviewer is super sweet!

PENN:
First interviewer asked if I had any questions. 20 minutes of the interview were my questions. Apparently she does this for everyone and if you don't have any questions it's a pretty short interview. So come prepared (for any school)! Also to add questions from my second interview:
- what was the best and worst moment from your college experience?
-how do you relieve stress?

PITT:
Only one question- I see you're from California/ how can I be sure you'll come here?

*** if your state has a public dental school you'll probably get asked this. Especially if you went to undergrad there (I went to UCLA undergrad). Another girl lived in Buffalo and she got grilled about whether she would go to Pitt over Buffalo.

Good luck!! Also I'll be interviewing at Columbia and Friday - I'll try to update this!

Reactions: 4 users
Female: I bring a bag with a notepad, pen, extra water and a backup pair of flats (in case your feet hurt with heels). I also would recommend bringing bandaids if your shoes aren't the comfiest!

So some unexpected things I experienced (this cycle I've interviewed at NYU, Penn and Pittsburgh so far):

NYU:
The first thing my interviewer says is that my parents must be so proud. I was really shocked by this- as I expected to be grilled not complimented. If anyone finds themselves in the same situation I think it's a great time to show humility. I responded I could not have succeeded without them. So definitely be prepared to accept compliments if your interviewer is super sweet!

PENN:
First interviewer asked if I had any questions. 20 minutes of the interview were my questions. Apparently she does this for everyone and if you don't have any questions it's a pretty short interview. So come prepared (for any school)! Also to add questions from my second interview:

PITT:
Only one question- I see you're from California/ how can I be sure you'll come here?

*** if your state has a public dental school you'll probably get asked this. Especially if you went to undergrad there (I went to UCLA undergrad). Another girl lived in Buffalo and she got grilled about whether she would go to Pitt over Buffalo.

Good luck!! Also I'll be interviewing at Columbia and Friday - I'll try to update this!
Hah, I kind of also got grilled at Buffalo vs Pitt too. Not harshly but I could see my interviewer trying to probe for my preference.

NYU:

PENN:

PITT:

By your last sentence, did you mean you'll be at Columbia on Friday? Darn, I'm interviewing there afterwards, so I guess we won't be crossing paths, oh well! Your advice is awesome, thanks!

By your last sentence, did you mean you'll be at Columbia on Friday? Darn, I'm interviewing there afterwards, so I guess we won't be crossing paths, oh well! Your advice is awesome, thanks!
Yep this Friday! Message me if you have any questions about the interview :)

bummppp

1) What is the capital of Nigeria? (I froze and said Lagos like an idiot, it was a freebie, everyone knows it's Abuja)
2) What is the capital of North Dakota? (easy, Bismarck)
3) What is the capital of South Dakota? (easy, Pierre)
4) What is the current name of the country formerly known as Rhodesia? (easy, Zimbabwe)
5) If you're accepted to your state school and our school, where would you go? (One of the few times in my life I've been at a loss for words lol)

Time to break out those "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego" skills.

1) What is the capital of Nigeria? (I froze and said Lagos like an idiot, it was a freebie, everyone knows it's Abuja)
4) What is the current name of the country formerly known as Rhodesia? (easy, Zimbabwe)
5) If you're accepted to your state school and our school, where would you go? (One of the few times in my life I've been at a loss for words lol)
So which school is this that I'm not getting accepted to?

Reactions: 6 users
I was asked number 5 at both my interviews...

Oh and I was asked by my interviewer if I had any questions. So I asked, In your opinion, what do you think your school has that really separates it from other schools?

So he replies, I don't really know anything about this school...
I froze, shook his hand, told him it was a pleasure to meet him and left so the next student can interview. By far, most awkward part of my interview.

Reactions: 8 users