My MCAT 2015 Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Analysis of my May Exam*

I'm sharing my study schedule
(<-- link) that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

DISCLAIMER: There are no rest days integrated into the schedule. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that I think this schedule can or should be done without taking a break, because I definitely don't think that. Rather, you don't see any break days because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just used this as a guide to determine what order I did things in/pair up the various resources, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I don't feel like studying one day, I won't push it. If I'm really feeling five 8+ hour study days in a row, I'll go with it. And that's why you see what looks like an only-55 day schedule, because of the lack of pre-planned break days. PLEASE TAKE BREAKS!

These are the primary materials I ended up using (edited 6/8/15 for clarity):
  • 2015 EK set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
  • 2012-2013 TBR set, mostly for practice passages
  • AAMC CARS question packs
  • EK FLs
  • Official Guide 120 questions, taken as a half-length
  • AAMC Official Sample Test
Optional materials:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • The rest of the AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
  • Kaplan sectional exams for CARS, Biochem, and Behavioral Sciences (3 each)
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
Note: I rarely supplemented an EK chapter with other readings, it was just an option in case I needed the extra review.

A typical study day: I aimed for 6-8 hours a day, one EK (or TPR for Psych/Socio) chapter each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I would do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (Warning: this can take awhile--sometimes even a day's worth of studying--depending on how many passages there are. Don't feel obligated to complete all of the relevant passages. Also, for the physics and ochem books, the passage numbers refer to those in the 52 question exam, not the 25 question exam.) I liked to review my answers after each individual passage so that I could apply the knowledge I gained from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I moved onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I found that I did much better on them when I didn't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I took the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

SCORES ON STUFF (in order by date of completion):
(order: C/P | CARS | B/B | P/S | TOTAL)

Official Guide Half-Length: 21/30 (70%) | 29/30 (97%) | 21/30 (70%) | 23/30 (77%) | 94/120 (78%)

Official Sample Test: 37/59 (63%) | 47/53 (89%) | 42/59 (71%) | 52/59 (88%) | 177/230 (77%)

CARS Sample Pack 1a: 43/60 (72%)

EK FL 1: 38/59 (64%) | 41/53 (77%) | 43/59 (73%) | 49/59 (83%) | 171/230 (74%)

CARS Sample Pack 1b: 55/60 (92%)

EK FL 2: 38/59 (64%) | 38/53 (72%) | 37/59 (63%) | 49/59 (83%) | 162/230 (70%)

CARS Sample Pack 2a: 53/60 (88%)

EXAM SCORE: 125 | 130 | 125 | 128 | 508

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 users
I think for the first unit of TBR Physics, I'm skimming projectile motion because it's not on the AAMC MCAT 2015 outline

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of FLs, what do you think of the TPR or Kaplan practice tests? How similar are they (in style and content) to the AAMC sample test?

I just saw that EK offer 3 stand-alone practice tests (EK-Tests; $50 each) on their website (https://www.examkrackers.com/Store/product_details.aspx?p=196). They are advertised as "part of our [EK's] MCAT® Comprehensive Course." I really hope these are good given the relatively good quality of their content review books and the shortage of full-length practice tests out there. Has anyone tried any of these EK-Tests yet? Any feedback?

Reactions: 1 users
Kaplan and GS are both a piece of crap according to the many SDN reviews. I would expect that EK FL's which they must have just released are good because their 30 min exams are very good especially with the new exam format.

Kaplan and GS are both a piece of crap according to the many SDN reviews. I would expect that EK FL's which they must have just released are good because their 30 min exams are very good especially with the new exam format.

Ah... That's good to know. Any thoughts on the TPR ones?

Ah... That's good to know. Any thoughts on the TPR ones?
I think there's only 3-4 official TPR ones that are new. Apparently you can get a total of 8 from them, but the other 4 come from some random company branded through TPR. I heard they're hard, so it should be good for practice? no idea though, any other input would be nice!

@mcatjelly how are you finding EK? I know in your first post you said you preferred it to Kaplan. I've been using Kaplan to study for the past week and I am not enjoying it at all. Trying to figure out whether that's because I'm just not enjoying the MCAT (haha...) or just Kaplan's book format.

For reference, I took the Jan MCAT and scored a 30 using EK, so I feel as though it was my mistake to switch to another source (like Kaplan) when I was comfortable with EK, but at the same time obviously a 30 I was not happy with, so I'm not sure. Anyone else have any opinions! I know the Kaplan vs. EK topic is constantly debated on the forums - not trying to be repetitive, just want some opinions after people have been using it for a few weeks!

@mcatjelly how are you finding EK? I know in your first post you said you preferred it to Kaplan. I've been using Kaplan to study for the past week and I am not enjoying it at all. Trying to figure out whether that's because I'm just not enjoying the MCAT (haha...) or just Kaplan's book format.

For reference, I took the Jan MCAT and scored a 30 using EK, so I feel as though it was my mistake to switch to another source (like Kaplan) when I was comfortable with EK, but at the same time obviously a 30 I was not happy with, so I'm not sure. Anyone else have any opinions! I know the Kaplan vs. EK topic is constantly debated on the forums - not trying to be repetitive, just want some opinions after people have been using it for a few weeks!

Still love it. :) And I don't think you can beat their practice passages.

Okay, I just started looking at the Psych/Socio sections of EK (I know I'm behind, let's not talk about it...) anddddd after glancing over the errata for that book, EK totally dropped the ball with this area. I can't even fit in all the definitions and concepts they missed in the margins. So I'm going to switch over to TPR as my behavioral sciences resource. It still fits into the schedule because if you take out Chapter 1 (MCAT Basics), Chapter 2 (Strategy Section), and Chapter 3 (Biological Foundations of Behavior, which is covered elsewhere in EK), you're left with 5 chapters, which is the same number as EK's book. I'm updating my schedule accordingly.

Reactions: 3 users
Any changes to reflect the amount of biochem on the test?

Nope. Anything that I don't learn from EK will be learned from TBR passages/Official Guide questions/Official Sample Test, and I'll just refer back to other sources for clarification/additional reading. Though it's clear that you need to study AAs beyond EK... it's ridiculous that they think you don't need to memorize them. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What book do you suggest for biology review? I have EK 9th edition, the old TBRs and TPRs, and the new comprehensive princeton review book which has shorter content reviews.

I feel like I am getting stressed out by the lack of practice material for the new exam. I think it's definitely leaving most people blindsided. :/ It's also a bit pricey to purchase all these books. Do you mind listing the prices here as well?

Last edited:
Just wondering, why did you choose KAPLAN over TPR books for 2015 mcat? I need a stronger foundation for content + practice passages. Did not do well on first mcat <20. Thanks!

What book do you suggest for biology review? I have EK 9th edition, the old TBRs and TPRs, and the new comprehensive princeton review book which has shorter content reviews.

I feel like I am getting stressed out by the lack of practice material for the new exam. I think it's definitely leaving most people blindsided. :/ It's also a bit pricey to purchase all these books. Do you mind listing the prices here as well?

You'll be more than fine using a combo of EK and TBR for bio. I can't comment on TPR as I don't have those.

Prices... for prep books? Is this not something you can easily look up online? :p

Just wondering, why did you choose KAPLAN over TPR books for 2015 mcat? I need a stronger foundation for content + practice passages. Did not do well on first mcat <20. Thanks!

I initially chose Kaplan over TPR based on a few preliminary reviews... TPR had a ton of mistakes, very little biochem, etc. Kaplan is the only prep company with a book solely dedicated to biochem and I do think they did a great job with it. Only major downside is, of course, the lack of practice, which is why I ultimately switched to EK.

If you're looking for a strong foundation in content and practice passages, I honestly think TBR is the way to go for the sciences. You'd want to get some practice with newer material as well, but TBR's passages still seem to be the best among any other prep company.

You'll be more than fine using a combo of EK and TBR for bio. I can't comment on TPR as I don't have those.

Prices... for prep books? Is this not something you can easily look up online? :p

Ok.

Now, the question packs that you mention from AAMC, are those for the new exams or the older ones? I'm just confused as to which books give you the most bang for your buck. I lucked out and found PDF files of all the old MCAT material. Obviously, that's not the case with the new one.

It's funny that you are such an advocate of Kaplan as opposed to TPR. I feel like I heard the opposite in terms of reviews. But, I guess at the end of the day, they really all are the same and it's what you make of it.

I'm sharing my study schedule that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

Edit 4/1/15: Now that I'm studying FT, I've had a much easier time settling into a routine. I aim for 6-8 hours a day, two EK chapters each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (This can take me awhile depending on how many passages there are.) I like to review my answers after each individual passage so that I can apply the knowledge I gain from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I move onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I find that I do much better on them when I don't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I take the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Edit 3/13/15:
After feeling that I get a much better grasp of the material/concepts when I use EK vs. Kaplan--and not getting nearly as far along with Kaplan as I should be--I've added an additional spreadsheet to the above link with a schedule that uses EK as the primary source of content review. Each day I will read the two EK chapters and do the two 30 minute exams, supplement with Kaplan, TBR, or TPR only if I feel that I could use additional support in certain topics, and do all of the relevant TBR passages.

These are the materials I'm using (edited 4/1/15):

Primary content review:
  • 2015 EK set
Supplementary content review:
  • 2012-2013 TBR set
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
Exam strategy:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528 (maybe)
Practice exams:
  • EK 30 min exams
  • 3 Kaplan CARS exams
  • 3 Kaplan Biochem exams
  • 3 Kaplan Behavioral Sciences exams
  • TPR Diagnostic
  • Kaplan Diagnostic
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
  • 3 NS FLs (maybe)
  • AAMC FL
Supplemental practice questions:
  • AAMC Official Guide 120 questions
  • All AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
For the record, I won't always supplement an EK chapter with other readings, it's just an option in case I need the extra review.

I also don't have any break days integrated into the schedule. Because I work at a hospital, my schedule is pretty inconsistent so it's hard for me to definitively mark certain days of the week as off days, and especially once I go prn I won't know when I'm going into work.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!
you're only studying for 55 days??

I initially chose Kaplan over TPR based on a few preliminary reviews... TPR had a ton of mistakes, very little biochem, etc. Kaplan is the only prep company with a book solely dedicated to biochem and I do think they did a great job with it. Only major downside is, of course, the lack of practice, which is why I ultimately switched to EK.

If you're looking for a strong foundation in content and practice passages, I honestly think TBR is the way to go for the sciences. You'd want to get some practice with newer material as well, but TBR's passages still seem to be the best among any other prep company.

Thanks @mcatjelly ;)

Ok.

Now, the question packs that you mention from AAMC, are those for the new exams or the older ones? I'm just confused as to which books give you the most bang for your buck. I lucked out and found PDF files of all the old MCAT material. Obviously, that's not the case with the new one.

It's funny that you are such an advocate of Kaplan as opposed to TPR. I feel like I heard the opposite in terms of reviews. But, I guess at the end of the day, they really all are the same and it's what you make of it.

The question packs are for the new exam, using material from the old exam. AAMC hand-picked which passages/questions would be most similar/relevant to what you'd find on the new exam.

As for Kaplan vs. TPR: again, I don't actually have much experience with TPR! I only bought Kaplan materials based on initial reviews, and then I bought TPR for Psych/Socio, which is a good resource. I didn't feel like throwing down money for 4 sets of books, haha--3 sets is good for me. But I do agree that it's more how you're studying vs. what you're studying from.

you're only studying for 55 days??

Hahaha no way--keep in mind there aren't any break days integrated in the schedule, and I started studying back in late February when I was working full-time and could barely manage 1 chapter a day. And now I'm on-call so I'm not always sure when I go in, hence why I didn't want to guess at which days I wouldn't be studying.

I don't know why, but winky faces freak me the **** out.

Thanks @mcatjelly !! This schedule is very helpful and it was really kind of you to share it with the rest of us.
I had questions regarding the EK books, do you know how diff they are from the previous editions, I have the 7th edition and im wondering if should stick with it or invest in the latest one.
Also the BR material, its the same as old one right, no new 2015 stuff?
Lastly do you know if we still get access to kaplans FLs and sections exams if we purchase books from a third party website such as barnes and noble?

I had questions regarding the EK books, do you know how diff they are from the previous editions, I have the 7th edition and im wondering if should stick with it or invest in the latest one.

So I just looked at pdfs I have of the 7th edition, and it looks like it'd be more a matter of figuring out what is/isn't relevant rather than having a bunch of missing information. HOWEVER: you'd definitely want an alternative source for biochemistry. And the 30 minute exams in the 9th edition involve much more data analysis than the ones in the 7th edition. I don't want to say "definitely buy" or "definitely don't buy", especially since I have yet to take the actual exam, so I'll leave you with that information.

Also the BR material, its the same as old one right, no new 2015 stuff?

Yep! For now, at least.

Lastly do you know if we still get access to kaplans FLs and sections exams if we purchase books from a third party website such as barnes and noble?

Oh, definitely. You get the FLs by registering your book online.

The question packs are for the new exam, using material from the old exam. AAMC hand-picked which passages/questions would be most similar/relevant to what you'd find on the new exam.

As for Kaplan vs. TPR: again, I don't actually have much experience with TPR! I only bought Kaplan materials based on initial reviews, and then I bought TPR for Psych/Socio, which is a good resource. I didn't feel like throwing down money for 4 sets of books, haha--3 sets is good for me. But I do agree that it's more how you're studying vs. what you're studying from.

Hahaha no way--keep in mind there aren't any break days integrated in the schedule, and I started studying back in late February when I was working full-time and could barely manage 1 chapter a day. And now I'm on-call so I'm not always sure when I go in, hence why I didn't want to guess at which days I wouldn't be studying.

I don't know why, but winky faces freak me the **** out.
So, essentially one would be able to complete this schedule in 55 days? That seems light bro

So, essentially one would be able to complete this schedule in 55 days? That seems light bro
I don't think the EK portion was meant to prescribe a day by day study schedule. It is a great resource that links many sources together and suggests the order to go through chapters.

If you're doing two EK chapters, all of the corresponding TBR passages, and two EK 30 min exams + review, you're not going to get this done in 55 days. As I've said elsewhere, it's taken me a day's worth of the schedule just to get through 150-200 TBR passage-based questions.

I don't think the EK portion was meant to prescribe a day by day study schedule. It is a great resource that links many sources together and suggests the order to go through chapters.

^ In conclusion.

Just a random question.. I saw on people's schedules where they said: day 2 do so and so, followed by +1/3 of the equivalent BR questions... What is this 1/3 referring to?

Hey guys,

Just wondering, if I register my Kaplan books and TPR, is there an expiry date as to when the content disappears?

Thanks!

Just a random question.. I saw on people's schedules where they said: day 2 do so and so, followed by +1/3 of the equivalent BR questions... What is this 1/3 referring to?

1/3 of the TBR passages that correspond to that chapter.

Have you started feeling burnt out at any point? And if you did or will, do you plan on taking a rest day?

Have you started feeling burnt out at any point? And if you did or will, do you plan on taking a rest day?

I think I've mentioned this here and there, but there are no rest days integrated into the schedule because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just needed something to guide what order I did things in, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I really don't feel like studying one day, I'm not going to push it. If I'm really feeling it and can do several 8+ hour days in a row, then I'll go with it.

Believe me--I've taken plenty of rest days. :p I'm not even going to say where I'm at in the study schedule because I'm nowhere near where I should be. But I'm also not feeling unprepared. We'll see what happens!

I used to adhere to TPR's schedule and coming across mcatjelly's schedule i feel like i am exhausted after a days worth. Is anyone else using TBR's passages? I'm thinking about switching back to TPR SWB.

So, forgot to post my Official Guide scores when I took it as a half-length last week:

Chem/Phys: 21/30 (70%)
CARS: 29/30 (97%)
Bio/Biochem: 21/30 (70%)
Psych/Socio: 23/30 (77%)

Annnnnnd oh man, just finished the full-length.

Chem/Phys: 37/59 (63%)
CARS: 47/53 (89%)
Bio/Biochem: 42/59 (71%)
Psych/Socio: 51/59 (86%)

Overall, it was easier than expected, but that may be because of how much I built up the experience in my head. General Chemistry and Physics are notoriously my worst subjects, so I'm not at all surprised by how dreadfully I scored in the first section. Conversely, I really enjoy the CARS and Psych/Socio sections so I'm actually disappointed in my performance.

Timing-wise, I was down to the wire in the hard science sections, but had 30+ minutes left for CARS and Psych/Socio. So I had an hour-long break following CARS which was reallllly nice, and I anticipate a similar situation happening on test day.

I expect all scores to increase (except maybe CARS) because I still have a good bit left to review. For context, these are the concepts I have yet to cover:
  • Lab Techniques
  • ...Pretty much all of physiology/the organ systems
  • Thermodynamics
  • Phases of matter
  • Solutions and electrochemistry
  • Acids and bases
  • Electricity
  • Sound and light
  • Sociological theories
  • Personality, Motivation, Attitudes, and Psychological Disorders
  • Self-Identity and Group Identity
WOOH. SO MUCH TO DO.

good job there!

Should write mcatjelly's guide to CARS :)

I DON'T DESERVE A GOOD JOB, MY SCIENCE SCORES ARE AWFUL AND I'M DREADFULLY BEHIND IN SCIENCE REVIEW.

...But thanks, heh. :)

wow nice @mcatjelly. great motivation! for CARS did you solely use EK and EK 101?

I don't actually have the EK 101 so yeah, I've just been using their 30 minute exams.

Now, what I'm about to say is going to sound way more arrogant than I want it to, but... I don't have any strategy for verbal. I guess I'm just naturally good at this type of thinking because I just 1) read through the passage and then 2) answer the questions. I wish I had something more helpful to say, I'm sorry. :/

@mcatjelly

I really appreciate you making your schedule public for everyone! It's been a big help for me so far. Most of the reason I made an account here was to say thanks!

I was wondering how helpful you think it would be to do some of the old AAMC tests? Also, how much of TBR do you read vs. do passages?

Thanks again!

P.S. When are you planning to take the MCAT?

@mcatjelly

I really appreciate you making your schedule public for everyone! It's been a big help for me so far. Most of the reason I made an account here was to say thanks!

I was wondering how helpful you think it would be to do some of the old AAMC tests? Also, how much of TBR do you read vs. do passages?

Thanks again!

P.S. When are you planning to take the MCAT?

Aw thanks. :) Glad it's been a good resource!

I've been on the fence about taking old AAMC exams... I think it could be helpful to have another AAMC-style test on hand, just to get more experience with their material and how they ask questions. And you could get an actual idea of how well you scored. It'll be good practice for taking an AAMC exam, just not the 2015 exam.

I've read almost none of TBR, just a bit on metabolism here and there. But I do a TON of their passages.

And I'm taking it May 22nd!

I would say it's up to you! You can choose to do more practice tests or have more break days in between tests/before test day.
Thanks for the schedule! I will most likely end up following it for the August exam. Also, to get the Kaplan exams, I would have to buy the full set or just one of the books? I already have the full set for TPR and EK and don't really want to buy the full Kaplan if its not needed. I know you haven't taken the exam yet, but how do the Kaplan questions feel in comparison to AAMC? Would it be worth buying for the exams?

How long did it take EK to send you info about accessing the FL?

That tripped me up as well. They don't actually send you info, despite what they say, but once it's finished processing you can access it via your account. An "Online Exams' link will show up.

That tripped me up as well. They don't actually send you info, despite what they say, but once it's finished processing you can access it via your account. An "Online Exams' link will show up.

Ah I see, thanks. Did it process instantly after your order? I don't see an online exams link anywhere