My MCAT 2015 Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Analysis of my May Exam*

I'm sharing my study schedule
(<-- link) that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

DISCLAIMER: There are no rest days integrated into the schedule. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that I think this schedule can or should be done without taking a break, because I definitely don't think that. Rather, you don't see any break days because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just used this as a guide to determine what order I did things in/pair up the various resources, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I don't feel like studying one day, I won't push it. If I'm really feeling five 8+ hour study days in a row, I'll go with it. And that's why you see what looks like an only-55 day schedule, because of the lack of pre-planned break days. PLEASE TAKE BREAKS!

These are the primary materials I ended up using (edited 6/8/15 for clarity):
  • 2015 EK set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
  • 2012-2013 TBR set, mostly for practice passages
  • AAMC CARS question packs
  • EK FLs
  • Official Guide 120 questions, taken as a half-length
  • AAMC Official Sample Test
Optional materials:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • The rest of the AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
  • Kaplan sectional exams for CARS, Biochem, and Behavioral Sciences (3 each)
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
Note: I rarely supplemented an EK chapter with other readings, it was just an option in case I needed the extra review.

A typical study day: I aimed for 6-8 hours a day, one EK (or TPR for Psych/Socio) chapter each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I would do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (Warning: this can take awhile--sometimes even a day's worth of studying--depending on how many passages there are. Don't feel obligated to complete all of the relevant passages. Also, for the physics and ochem books, the passage numbers refer to those in the 52 question exam, not the 25 question exam.) I liked to review my answers after each individual passage so that I could apply the knowledge I gained from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I moved onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I found that I did much better on them when I didn't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I took the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

SCORES ON STUFF (in order by date of completion):
(order: C/P | CARS | B/B | P/S | TOTAL)

Official Guide Half-Length: 21/30 (70%) | 29/30 (97%) | 21/30 (70%) | 23/30 (77%) | 94/120 (78%)

Official Sample Test: 37/59 (63%) | 47/53 (89%) | 42/59 (71%) | 52/59 (88%) | 177/230 (77%)

CARS Sample Pack 1a: 43/60 (72%)

EK FL 1: 38/59 (64%) | 41/53 (77%) | 43/59 (73%) | 49/59 (83%) | 171/230 (74%)

CARS Sample Pack 1b: 55/60 (92%)

EK FL 2: 38/59 (64%) | 38/53 (72%) | 37/59 (63%) | 49/59 (83%) | 162/230 (70%)

CARS Sample Pack 2a: 53/60 (88%)

EXAM SCORE: 125 | 130 | 125 | 128 | 508

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 users
Okay, finally took EK FL 1 and it was pretty difficult. My scores:

Chem/Phys: 38/59 (64%)
CARS: 41/53 (77%)
Bio/Biochem: 42/59 (71%)
Psych/Socio: 49/59 (83%)
Overall: 170/230 (74%)

I found it to be harder than the Sample Test, particularly Chem/Phys which had more calculation-based questions (and just so happened to test me on what I'm worst at). I just suck at Chemistry and Physics. CARS is just CARS, I'm never sure how to evaluate that section. I ran out of time on Bio/Biochem and had to randomly guess on the entire last passage, and I know I could have reasoned through that last one, so I just need to not dawdle when I don't know something. Psych/Socio will be fine once I finally study sociology. :rolleyes:

Also: practically no orgo.

Taking EK 1 either tomorrow or Wednesday (if it doesn't process until later Tuesday). My weak point is chem/phys too.

Similar to the sample test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking EK 1 either tomorrow or Wednesday (if it doesn't process until later Tuesday). My weak point is chem/phys too.

Similar to the sample test?

Better compared to other companies, but I don't think anyone's will be on point.

Reactions: 1 user
@mcatjelly Which ones should we focus on? I can't afford the whole set. Will the Gen Chem and Bio books suffice?

Definitely. You could even buy only the Bio books if you wanted. And see if you can get them for a lower price on ebay!

Also, do you recommend the Kaplan 528 still? I've been reading so so reviews on it.....,

I haven't had time to touch it. Some people love it, some people are neutral. I think the primary benefit would be having a bunch of practice passages with thorough answer explanations.

Your mcat study sheet says go over:
Day 20: TBR Gen Chem: Section 7 (Phase Change Processes & Liquid-Gas Equilibrium)

As I was reading through the Liquid-Gas Equilibrium chapter, I noticed Vapor Pressure/Graphs, Boiling Point, and Raoult's Law. I checked the MCAT 2015 contest list and none of those subjects were on the list. Would you still suggest going over those subjects/example questions?

@mcatjelly Which ones should we focus on? I can't afford the whole set. Will the Gen Chem and Bio books suffice?

Also, do you recommend the Kaplan 528 still? I've been reading so so reviews on it.....,
Also, check out Craigslist. I found an entire set for 150.

Reactions: 1 users
Your mcat study sheet says go over:
Day 20: TBR Gen Chem: Section 7 (Phase Change Processes & Liquid-Gas Equilibrium)

As I was reading through the Liquid-Gas Equilibrium chapter, I noticed Vapor Pressure/Graphs, Boiling Point, and Raoult's Law. I checked the MCAT 2015 contest list and none of those subjects were on the list. Would you still suggest going over those subjects/example questions?

Yeah, that's true.

I've been reviewing those concepts because I understood practically nothing in gen chem, but as long as you're familiar with them you should be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many days are you studying for at 6-8 hours a day? I still have a few years before I prep for the MCAT but studying 3 months straight for 6-8 hours a day seems overkill?

How many days are you studying for at 6-8 hours a day? I still have a few years before I prep for the MCAT but studying 3 months straight for 6-8 hours a day seems overkill?

Well, since I was working FT until the end of March, it was closer to 1.5-2 months of 6-8 hours a day. And it's not like 7 days a week, more like 4-5 days because I'm still working here and there. I also graduated last May so the last prereq I took was biochem Fall 2013. And FINALLY the 6-8 hours is 25% reading and 75% practice passages/exams. So I don't think this was overkill at all, and in fact the famous SN2ed schedule advocated for 6-8 hours a day for 3 months, so it's not unusual. But to each their own.

Well, since I was working FT until the end of March, it was closer to 1.5-2 months of 6-8 hours a day. And it's not like 7 days a week, more like 4-5 days because I'm still working here and there. I also graduated last May so the last prereq I took was biochem Fall 2013. And FINALLY the 6-8 hours is 25% reading and 75% practice passages/exams. So I don't think this was overkill at all, and in fact the famous SN2ed schedule advocated for 6-8 hours a day for 3 months, so it's not unusual. But to each their own.
Alright cool, when you break it down like that it seems more reasonable. Thanks for the response. Good luck!

Do any of you think 4-5hrs a day is good enough? I'll be doing this while having an internship as I just finished all my prereqs and don't want to have to study during a semester. Some days I work 10-3 I think and others 10-5. I will be in florida so I definitely will be taking those rest days to the max but does 4-5hrs seem sufficient? I know studying is extremely important, but I don't want to be locked up in my room all day and night when I can go out and play golf, go to the beach, etc. granted I still study 4-5hrs a day. Any thoughts?

This is only from may 26 to aug 6 (10 weeks) and plan on taking it sept 11th so not sure when I should begin studying either

Do any of you think 4-5hrs a day is good enough? I'll be doing this while having an internship as I just finished all my prereqs and don't want to have to study during a semester. Some days I work 10-3 I think and others 10-5. I will be in florida so I definitely will be taking those rest days to the max but does 4-5hrs seem sufficient? I know studying is extremely important, but I don't want to be locked up in my room all day and night when I can go out and play golf, go to the beach, etc. granted I still study 4-5hrs a day. Any thoughts?

This is only from may 26 to aug 6 (10 weeks) and plan on taking it sept 11th so not sure when I should begin studying either

You would definitely be okay with 4-5 hours a day for those 10 weeks, especially considering there'll be a month left when you get back. I would start studying soon, though--by the beginning of June. You could easily do a chapter a day plus the associated passages.

@mcatjelly how do you get the online Kaplan passages listed on your schedule? do you have to buy the whole set of kaplan books? If so, do you think that it is worth buying for the practice passages or should I be ok leaving them out?

Last edited:
This study schedule looks great! I am purchasing the 2015 EK set, PR psych/soc, and TBR set as I type. I wont be buying the Kaplan set, is there any way I can get the 3 Kaplan FL without buying their books?

@mcatjelly how do you get the online Kaplan passages listed on your schedule? do you have to buy the whole set of kaplan books? If so, do you think that it is worth buying for the practice passages or should I be ok leaving them out?

You can get the biochem, behavioral sciences, and CARS section exams by purchasing those books alone. The bio/chem/physics/orgo passages only come with the full set.

This study schedule looks great! I am purchasing the 2015 EK set, PR psych/soc, and TBR set as I type. I wont be buying the Kaplan set, is there any way I can get the 3 Kaplan FL without buying their books?

No, unfortunately. :/ But you can purchase 3 EK FLs for about the same price as you would the Kaplan set, anyway, and the former exams are better IMO. So you'll be well off with a combo of 3 TPR FLs + 3 EK Fls + the sample test.

Thanks for the reply...one other thing. I know you supplement with various other books, but do you think it's a bad idea to supplement with the actual textbooks I have from the prereq classes? Obviously not unnecessary info but using the books for extra practice problems? I think it may be useful for physics. Even though the questions may be different it helps you get the concept down.

Thanks for the reply...one other thing. I know you supplement with various other books, but do you think it's a bad idea to supplement with the actual textbooks I have from the prereq classes? Obviously not unnecessary info but using the books for extra practice problems? I think it may be useful for physics. Even though the questions may be different it helps you get the concept down.

Supplementing with textbooks for content review is fine, but the practice problems found in textbooks are not at all representative of what you'll see on the exam. So I think that would be a waste of your time, to be honest.

Where can you buy just the TPR FLs?

Check out the Practice Exams section of the FAQ in my signature.

1) Trying to keep a level head but man, I am so freaking anxious for Friday.

2) Everyone knows I love EK, but it's a little frustrating how they only process orders during business hours. I ordered FLs 2 and 3 on Saturday to take this week, knowing that they take a day or two to process, but not that they take 1-2 business days to process. So I'm only taking one this week, but I'll just do a bunch of timed practice passages to make up for it. More time to review the last FL anyway.

So first thank you for posting your schedule I had a quick question, I started studying today I have the full Kaplan 2015 and EK material on my computer which I got for free, I am little short on cash so I would like to know your opinion on practice passages, I am using TPR (old) to review verbal but for the other topics I am little confused, as to whether you got online content for or you are using paper? also a buddy of mine bought the PR online content for like a grand do you think that is worth it for me to try? sorry for the inconvenience

So first thank you for posting your schedule I had a quick question, I started studying today I have the full Kaplan 2015 and EK material on my computer which I got for free, I am little short on cash so I would like to know your opinion on practice passages, I am using TPR (old) to review verbal but for the other topics I am little confused, as to whether you got online content for or you are using paper? also a buddy of mine bought the PR online content for like a grand do you think that is worth it for me to try? sorry for the inconvenience

Mind clarifying what you're asking? :/ Not sure what you mean by online content vs. paper and then PR online content.

my apologizes first question are the passages you are doing online (on the computer) or paper (books)
also since I am confused about what I should purchase, should I work extra hours to make up for the 1000$ online content material from PR or is there a better way?

my apologizes first question are the passages you are doing online (on the computer) or paper (books)
also since I am confused about what I should purchase, should I work extra hours to make up for the 1000$ online content material from PR or is there a better way?

I'm using a mixture of paper and online formats. The passages I used mainly for more targeted content review were from EK (their 30 min exams) and TBR. For exam practice, I've been using the question packs, the official guide 120 questions, the official sample test, and EK's full-lengths.

You absolutely do not need to throw down $1,000 for additional TPR material.

I'm using a mixture of paper and online formats. The passages I used mainly for more targeted content review were from EK (their 30 min exams) and TBR. For exam practice, I've been using the question packs, the official guide 120 questions, the official sample test, and EK's full-lengths.

You absolutely do not need to throw down $1,000 for additional TPR material.
Thank you so much for answering my question, one more further question if you do not mind:
Do you happen to remember how much were the EK and TBR packages?

Thank you so much for answering my question, one more further question if you do not mind:
Do you happen to remember how much were the EK and TBR packages?

The EK books were around $200, their FLs are $50 each.

TBR is pretty expensive if you buy them in new condition; I recommend checking out Craigslist, ebay, and the SDN classifieds for a used set (generally 2011 editions and later). I got my set for ~$250. And prioritize their bio books above all else.

The EK books were around $200, their FLs are $50 each.

TBR is pretty expensive if you buy them in new condition; I recommend checking out Craigslist, ebay, and the SDN classifieds for a used set (generally 2011 editions and later). I got my set for ~$250. And prioritize their bio books above all else.

Hey! Get to studying, you have a test coming up :p

Did you use EK as your primary review instead of TBR due to the extra biochem and psych/sociology subjects on the new mcat?
I started review a few days ago using TBR, and I'm finding that I'm going through the chapters very slowly, i.e., not at a pace I would like... And then now I'm realizing theres 2 extra subjects on this mcat as well, so I'm thinking of switching to EK for the Bio, and organic chemistry at least.

Did you use EK as your primary review instead of TBR due to the extra biochem and psych/sociology subjects on the new mcat?
I started review a few days ago using TBR, and I'm finding that I'm going through the chapters very slowly, i.e., not at a pace I would like... And then now I'm realizing theres 2 extra subjects on this mcat as well, so I'm thinking of switching to EK for the Bio, and organic chemistry at least.

I used EK as my primary content review because 1) it was made for the new MCAT, and 2) it's concise, which I preferred. It allowed me to spend less time reading a book and more time learning through practice passages.

TBR actually goes into more depth for biochem than does EK, for better or for worse; either way, their practice passages are great and I highly recommend you do them. But I think their physics, gen chem, and orgo books aren't as necessary for the new exam in terms of the extent of content they cover.

You aren't using TBR for chem and physics passages, correct? If so, what are you using for practice?

Wait, what? I never said that. o_O And my study schedule says otherwise haha. I've been using all of the TBR books extensively for their practice passages. I just think that the physics/gen chem/orgo books are not necessary for content review.

The EK 10 Week Schedule says to begin prep on day one by doing the online practice questions from the MCAT 2015 official guide, before beginning the actual EK prep. Do you or anyone else also recommend this? It wouldn't hurt to do it midway through my preparation I feel...just need some advice.

I begin next week and take my exam August 21. I have EK 9th edition, no FLs, will buy all AAMC question pack, online stuff, and their FL. Still deciding on EK FLs.

The EK 10 Week Schedule says to begin prep on day one by doing the online practice questions from the MCAT 2015 official guide, before beginning the actual EK prep. Do you or anyone else also recommend this? It wouldn't hurt to do it midway through my preparation I feel...just need some advice.

I begin next week and take my exam August 21. I have EK 9th edition, no FLs, will buy all AAMC question pack, online stuff, and their FL. Still deciding on EK FLs.

I would personally wait until you're a little farther through your content review, just so you actually have a decent background knowledge to tackle it with. But it's really up to you, and others would disagree with me.

Well I don't know that this will help any, but I'm really rooting for you @mcatjelly! I've only been on SDN a few weeks (used to lurk, then stopped for a long time, then came back after signing up for the MCAT), and I don't know what it is but you seem genuine and cool and I hope you rock the test!

Well I don't know that this will help any, but I'm really rooting for you @mcatjelly! I've only been on SDN a few weeks (used to lurk, then stopped for a long time, then came back after signing up for the MCAT), and I don't know what it is but you seem genuine and cool and I hope you rock the test!

I would be lying if I said that didn't make me feel better. Thank you. :)