My MCAT 2015 Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcatjelly

Meow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Analysis of my May Exam*

I'm sharing my study schedule
(<-- link) that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

DISCLAIMER: There are no rest days integrated into the schedule. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that I think this schedule can or should be done without taking a break, because I definitely don't think that. Rather, you don't see any break days because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just used this as a guide to determine what order I did things in/pair up the various resources, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I don't feel like studying one day, I won't push it. If I'm really feeling five 8+ hour study days in a row, I'll go with it. And that's why you see what looks like an only-55 day schedule, because of the lack of pre-planned break days. PLEASE TAKE BREAKS!

These are the primary materials I ended up using (edited 6/8/15 for clarity):
  • 2015 EK set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
  • 2012-2013 TBR set, mostly for practice passages
  • AAMC CARS question packs
  • EK FLs
  • Official Guide 120 questions, taken as a half-length
  • AAMC Official Sample Test
Optional materials:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • The rest of the AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
  • Kaplan sectional exams for CARS, Biochem, and Behavioral Sciences (3 each)
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
Note: I rarely supplemented an EK chapter with other readings, it was just an option in case I needed the extra review.

A typical study day: I aimed for 6-8 hours a day, one EK (or TPR for Psych/Socio) chapter each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I would do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (Warning: this can take awhile--sometimes even a day's worth of studying--depending on how many passages there are. Don't feel obligated to complete all of the relevant passages. Also, for the physics and ochem books, the passage numbers refer to those in the 52 question exam, not the 25 question exam.) I liked to review my answers after each individual passage so that I could apply the knowledge I gained from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I moved onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I found that I did much better on them when I didn't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I took the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

SCORES ON STUFF (in order by date of completion):
(order: C/P | CARS | B/B | P/S | TOTAL)

Official Guide Half-Length: 21/30 (70%) | 29/30 (97%) | 21/30 (70%) | 23/30 (77%) | 94/120 (78%)

Official Sample Test: 37/59 (63%) | 47/53 (89%) | 42/59 (71%) | 52/59 (88%) | 177/230 (77%)

CARS Sample Pack 1a: 43/60 (72%)

EK FL 1: 38/59 (64%) | 41/53 (77%) | 43/59 (73%) | 49/59 (83%) | 171/230 (74%)

CARS Sample Pack 1b: 55/60 (92%)

EK FL 2: 38/59 (64%) | 38/53 (72%) | 37/59 (63%) | 49/59 (83%) | 162/230 (70%)

CARS Sample Pack 2a: 53/60 (88%)

EXAM SCORE: 125 | 130 | 125 | 128 | 508

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 users
I know this might be a long shot, but to save me some time, does anyone have a matchup of BR passages from the new books (2015 Orgo/Bio books) in coordination with EK chapters?

Reactions: 1 user
@mcatjelly First off, thank you so much for sharing your plan! I've been using the EK version for two weeks now and I have a question for you. I just read EK Bio Molecules Chapter 1 and began the corresponding TBR passages. I've found that the TBR passages cover material that was included in EK , but a lot of the material in the passages wasn't in the EK chapters. So then I do poorly on the passage and feel overwhelmed and crappy, wanting to read through the corresponding TBR chapter for more content review. Did you find this commonplace through all of the other TBR passages listed as corresponding with EK chapters? If so, how did you handle this? I understand EK is notoriously concise.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks @mcatjelly !!!!

How did you stay on the schedule? Were there days you just didn't feel like reading more passages. @mcatjelly Congratulations by the way, and thanks for posting the guide!

I didn't. There's a reason why I ended up with 125s in both of the science sections. :/ I'm ashamed to say how far behind I was, honestly.

But I think this schedule leaves a lot of room for flexibility. You could potentially fit in two EK chapters a day if they're already competent in that day's material, or you could not do ALL of the passages (because sometimes there are too many to feasibly do in a day, to tell the truth). I really intended for this to be more of a guide vs. a strict schedule. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this might be a long shot, but to save me some time, does anyone have a matchup of BR passages from the new books (2015 Orgo/Bio books) in coordination with EK chapters?

If they do, let me know! It took me a couple days, honestly.

@mcatjelly First off, thank you so much for sharing your plan! I've been using the EK version for two weeks now and I have a question for you. I just read EK Bio Molecules Chapter 1 and began the corresponding TBR passages. I've found that the TBR passages cover material that was included in EK , but a lot of the material in the passages wasn't in the EK chapters. So then I do poorly on the passage and feel overwhelmed and crappy, wanting to read through the corresponding TBR chapter for more content review. Did you find this commonplace through all of the other TBR passages listed as corresponding with EK chapters? If so, how did you handle this? I understand EK is notoriously concise.
I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks @mcatjelly !!!!

You are quite welcome!!

So what I love about TBR's passages is that their solutions are INCREDIBLY detailed, and in fact I recall one of the TBR representatives saying they were designed that way so that students could potentially study from the passages and their solutions alone. Not a feasible method for most, of course, but I used TBR's passages specifically because I wanted them to cover any gaps in EK's material. And they definitely did.

I think a lot of people who look at this schedule regard the TBR passages as a way to gauge their competency, but as I stated above, that was not my intention. Once you start doing 2-3 passages for a chapter, you'll notice that the solutions often cover concepts that were tested in previous passages. This is why I would do a passage and read its solutions BEFORE moving on to the next one, so that I could apply what I just learned to the next group of questions. If you're still getting a bunch of answers wrong, you can certainly supplement with some extra readings (TBR, online, wherever), but the moral of the story is that TBR's passages are hard, and that's okay, because they're meant to be learned from. :)

Hi guys,

I made a schedule based on SN2ed's original 4 Month schedule but modified it for ExamKrackers:

In addition I will also be using GS tests to fill the last FL's out towards the end (or maybe sprinkle throughout?)

Please check it out and let me know if you would change anything or add anything! I will be supplementing the chapters with Khan Academy's videos throughout to get a visual of everything being worked out/written out.

Main Review Content:
EK 9th Ed. 2015
BR (doesn't matter the year, I am using them for additional questions/passages)
Khan Academy
1001 EK Series + Khan questions + BR questions/passages

Tests:
4 TPR tests
Maybe some GS tests (they sell a bundle of 10 for 150...not bad o.o)
AAMC Tests and some tests that have been suggested on this thread.

and the MCAT date will have to be modified based on the actual MCAT date xD

Cheers! :)

Edit* I forgot to mention that the passages/questions will also come from TPR Verbal and Science workbooks. <-- these two books are VERY important! I think EK is enough for the content review, but never skimp on questions, get familiar with as many questions as you can and as many tests you can afford as you can.

Edit2* Based on the great schedules submitted above I made another for people using EK/TBR/TPR (No Kaplan):

please advise me if I should be doing anything else?

Hi,

I wanted to know what you meant by "3-4 VPs from TBR" and "3-4 VPs from EK101"?
You also listed that we do 1/3 of the equivalent BR questions for Day 2-5. I do not understand what you mean by this because what are the 1/3 equivalent BR questions for the EK Reasoning Skills manual? Does someone have this? Please help =)

Hi,

I wanted to know what you meant by "3-4 VPs from TBR" and "3-4 VPs from EK101"?
You also listed that we do 1/3 of the equivalent BR questions for Day 2-5. I do not understand what you mean by this because what are the 1/3 equivalent BR questions for the EK Reasoning Skills manual? Does someone have this? Please help =)

Going to jump in here because that user hasn't been on SDN since May 2015.

1) VPs = verbal passages
2) To my knowledge, I'm the only one who has done the pairing of TBR passages to EK chapters and I didn't do any pairings between the two verbal reasoning books. The need to pair really only applies to the other subtests (because each chapter covers a different topic) so don't worry about finding the equivalent 1/3 passages or whatever. Just do some verbal passages!

@mcatjelly I'm actually wondering if it's possible to custom tailor a schedule for anyone to use. I studied for the MCAT's a couple years back. Scored pretty well (38 on the old test) and got into med school (Weill Cornell entering 2017). But from my perspective, I had a much longer overall study time and a lower intensity (30 mins a day for a year) and it worked out for me. Also, I was really good at OChem and was super bad at CARS, so I adjusted my study schedule accordingly.

But what if people only had 2 weeks to prepare? What if they were already a reading ace? I think everyone may want their own program.

I've deferred med school for 2 years, and am working as a software developer in the mean time. What do you think of making a dynamic website for your schedule? Maybe asking the user for a short questionnaire, and then tailoring a schedule to their specific needs? I think it can be done.

@mcatjelly I'm actually wondering if it's possible to custom tailor a schedule for anyone to use. I studied for the MCAT's a couple years back. Scored pretty well (38 on the old test) and got into med school (Weill Cornell entering 2017). But from my perspective, I had a much longer overall study time and a lower intensity (30 mins a day for a year) and it worked out for me. Also, I was really good at OChem and was super bad at CARS, so I adjusted my study schedule accordingly.

But what if people only had 2 weeks to prepare? What if they were already a reading ace? I think everyone may want their own program.

I've deferred med school for 2 years, and am working as a software developer in the mean time. What do you think of making a dynamic website for your schedule? Maybe asking the user for a short questionnaire, and then tailoring a schedule to their specific needs? I think it can be done.

Message me!

I've noticed that the new TBR passages don't exactly line up with the old ones, do you or anybody else have any idea how they link up in the new books? How did you figure out originally which passages to do with which lectures / chapters?

I've noticed that the new TBR passages don't exactly line up with the old ones, do you or anybody else have any idea how they link up in the new books? How did you figure out originally which passages to do with which lectures / chapters?

As of right now, no, but there's a possibility I'm working on something that will have that for you in the future!

I'm not a genius, I just took the time to look through every single passage, figure out which topics were addressed, and then assign them to an EK chapter accordingly.

Hi,

I tried reading through all the posts.. and am not sure if I'm missing some information...
But on the KAPLAN version of the plan, where are the sections for CARS review/practice?
And which videos are you referencing to for the Kaplan videos?
Also, if we don't have access to the 30-minute EK exams what would you recommend replacing them with?

And lastly, thanks so much for putting this together.
I was super overwhelmed trying to figure out where to start with MCAT prep and your posts have been VERY helpful.

Some questions!
1. I'm wanting to use this schedule to study for the 5/20 test, so I'm planning on buying the new EK series. I assume the biochem sections are covered in their biology books. I saw that there were 2 of them in the set and I want to make sure.
2. Last year when I took the test, I used SN2's study plan which included the Berkeley set. I've since marked all those books to hell so there isn't a way I can use TBR to supplement them. EK 1001 might be too dated to use and I want to avoid buying Kaplan's set to save money for the AAMC materials. Any suggestions for practice passages?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I tried reading through all the posts.. and am not sure if I'm missing some information...
But on the KAPLAN version of the plan, where are the sections for CARS review/practice?
And which videos are you referencing to for the Kaplan videos?
Also, if we don't have access to the 30-minute EK exams what would you recommend replacing them with?

And lastly, thanks so much for putting this together.
I was super overwhelmed trying to figure out where to start with MCAT prep and your posts have been VERY helpful.

You're quite welcome!

Okay so disclaimer here: the Kaplan schedule was never tweaked since I never ended up using anything from Kaplan. I apologize for that. My baseline CARS score was very high, especially compared to my baseline in the other sections, and I knew I wouldn't need to use Kaplan's CARS book. Definitely feel free to integrate their CARS book into the schedule!

The (few) Kaplan videos are those included with the (very small) online package that comes with the 7 book set.

If you don't have access to the 30 min EK exams, you could always save 2-3 of the TBR passages for the next morning! Preferably those that occur later in the problem sets since those are meant to be harder than the first few.

Some questions!
1. I'm wanting to use this schedule to study for the 5/20 test, so I'm planning on buying the new EK series. I assume the biochem sections are covered in their biology books. I saw that there were 2 of them in the set and I want to make sure.
2. Last year when I took the test, I used SN2's study plan which included the Berkeley set. I've since marked all those books to hell so there isn't a way I can use TBR to supplement them. EK 1001 might be too dated to use and I want to avoid buying Kaplan's set to save money for the AAMC materials. Any suggestions for practice passages?

1. Yes, biochem is covered in their Molecular Bio book. There will probably be points where you'll want to supplement with some outside material, though.

2. TPR's Science Workbook! You can buy it used online from ebay or Amazon or whatever. Or KA's plenty of free online practice passages.

@mcatjelly

Is it okay to use the 2011-2012 TBR books? I see that you used the 2012-2013 books, do you know if they differ all too much, if at all?

Thanks for the guide!

@mcatjelly

Thank you so, so much for posting your schedule. I'm using it starting today!

I've been in the Kaplan course for 3 weeks and I've really been struggling with figuring out how to plan in content review--this is a huge help.

I have only one major question regarding all of this: did I end up shooting myself in the foot with regards to time?

I feel so behind on (and subsequently overwhelmed by) content review! My test date is June 2, which leaves me with 97 days to study (if I took no break days whatsoever, but I know better than to do that). I'm really nervous I won't be able to cover all the areas where I'm weak! (and trust me, everything except biochem feels weak at this point.)

I'm pretty slow when it comes to reading and taking notes; for example: Kaplan posts an expected amount of time for you to complete any given assignment that they have for that week, and I always, always, always end up taking longer, which is why, three weeks in, I now feel like I'm so far behind on content review. I could easily spend 5 hours a day JUST trying to get through assignments while taking effective notes, and I don't feel like I'm absorbing anything except maybe test-taking strategies.

Looking at your schedule, it looks like I might be better advised to just follow your schedule of reading/testing to make material stick--but I'm still concerned about all the material I can't remember how to apply! Gen Chem and Physics are easily my weakest sections (I took Gen Chem 2 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot of it, and Physics is just a hard subject for me), and I don't know how to go about incorporating memorization with my content review. I'm making flashcards, currently, and using Kaplan's flaschard app as well, but I still feel like I'm wildly behind, and forgetting things almost as soon as I review them.

If you have any insights on reasonably managing time and content review (even if your suggestion is just "use this schedule but take the exam at a later date") that'd be great. And thank you again. Just having a schedule has helped me feel a little less overwhelmed!

Reactions: 1 users
@mcatjelly

Thank you so, so much for posting your schedule. I'm using it starting today!

I've been in the Kaplan course for 3 weeks and I've really been struggling with figuring out how to plan in content review--this is a huge help.

I have only one major question regarding all of this: did I end up shooting myself in the foot with regards to time?

I feel so behind on (and subsequently overwhelmed by) content review! My test date is June 2, which leaves me with 97 days to study (if I took no break days whatsoever, but I know better than to do that). I'm really nervous I won't be able to cover all the areas where I'm weak! (and trust me, everything except biochem feels weak at this point.)

I'm pretty slow when it comes to reading and taking notes; for example: Kaplan posts an expected amount of time for you to complete any given assignment that they have for that week, and I always, always, always end up taking longer, which is why, three weeks in, I now feel like I'm so far behind on content review. I could easily spend 5 hours a day JUST trying to get through assignments while taking effective notes, and I don't feel like I'm absorbing anything except maybe test-taking strategies.

Looking at your schedule, it looks like I might be better advised to just follow your schedule of reading/testing to make material stick--but I'm still concerned about all the material I can't remember how to apply! Gen Chem and Physics are easily my weakest sections (I took Gen Chem 2 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot of it, and Physics is just a hard subject for me), and I don't know how to go about incorporating memorization with my content review. I'm making flashcards, currently, and using Kaplan's flaschard app as well, but I still feel like I'm wildly behind, and forgetting things almost as soon as I review them.

If you have any insights on reasonably managing time and content review (even if your suggestion is just "use this schedule but take the exam at a later date") that'd be great. And thank you again. Just having a schedule has helped me feel a little less overwhelmed!

You are quite welcome. :)

You still have 3 months to study--that's not nothing! While I don't want to advise you to drop a course you've already paid for, I think we both agree that your current plan isn't working for you. You're not the first person to feel like the structure of the course takes away from time spent just studying the material.

So... if the assignments are detrimental to your content review, stop doing them. Really. You know yourself better than a course does. If you're historically more of a learn by doing vs. learn by reading, then I absolutely suggest spending more time on practice passages and less time on using flashcards to retain material. For me, personally, flashcards have always been more of a way to retain what I already know vs. learn to know, if that makes sense. When you do practice passages, on the other hand, you're making connections between and with the material through problem solving, and I found that a much better way to retain my knowledge. As I stated in my first post, I would review each passage one at a time so that I could learn from a mistake in Passage 1 and apply what I learned to Passage 2.

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if I need to clarify something. Sorry you've been struggling!

You still have 3 months to study--that's not nothing! While I don't want to advise you to drop a course you've already paid for, I think we both agree that your current plan isn't working for you

Really hit me hard. I can't believe I spent 2k for a prep course that I think is useless :(

Really hit me hard. I can't believe I spent 2k for a prep course that I think is useless :(

Well, I don't want to put words in your mouth--it just seems like it's not working for you. :(

But while the lecture part may not be helpful, keep in mind you also have access to a bunch of practice tests, a q bank, online videos... that's all beneficial regardless of the classroom part!

Hi @mcatjelly !

Could you offer your thoughts on purchasing examkrackers new or used? I'm thinking of just buying the full set online so I could have the 30 minute exams but found someone selling the 9th edition here on SDN. Did you buy your set used? And would I be no worse off if I purchased the 8th edition (or even 7th)?

I'm wondering if any money I would try to save would end up being balanced out buy having to buy the FL separately, since it seems that there is a slight discount to buying it all together

Hi @mcatjelly !

Could you offer your thoughts on purchasing examkrackers new or used? I'm thinking of just buying the full set online so I could have the 30 minute exams but found someone selling the 9th edition here on SDN. Did you buy your set used? And would I be no worse off if I purchased the 8th edition (or even 7th)?

I'm wondering if any money I would try to save would end up being balanced out buy having to buy the FL separately, since it seems that there is a slight discount to buying it all together

You could definitely buy books used and just white out all of the answer letter choices in advance (if they'd been written in) so you don't see which one was circled correct! I bought mine brand new only because there wasn't any other option but to buy it new back in my day (lol).

DO NOT buy the older editions as those were for the old test.

Thank you so much! And thanks for the time you put into helping everyone with your schedule :D

So I see you bought two sets of review books, EK and BR. Do most people do something like this? Buy one set of books for content and then another set for practice passages?

Also, in your study plan for Kaplan, does the leftmost column mean you read that Kaplan chapter, then based on the middle column you read those BR sections, then did the BR passages in the rightmost column?

And what do the "Kaplan videos" refer to? If you buy the Kaplan set, does it come with videos for each chapter and you just mean to watch that corresponding video for each day?

For the record, here's my analysis of the exam in the May thread.

EK definitely gets a thumbs down for the current Psych/Socio book and their saying that we don't need to know amino acids (literally the biggest error one could ever make about the new MCAT), but all in all I maintain they make for good prep. They're really good at recognizing the "big picture," and I can now say from experience that THE MCAT TESTS THE BIG PICTURE. REALLY. I SWEAR.

As someone who took the april 2015 MCAT and am considering retaking it, I was going to ask about the amino acids, since your schedule is EK heavy. I have the 2015 EK set which I used to study back then and sadly didnt focus much on the amino acids due to their advice, and smacked myself on test day when there were 2-3 questions of just amino acid structures that I had to identify. Glad you addressed it here.

So I see you bought two sets of review books, EK and BR. Do most people do something like this? Buy one set of books for content and then another set for practice passages?
Also, in your study plan for Kaplan, does the leftmost column mean you read that Kaplan chapter, then based on the middle column you read those BR sections, then did the BR passages in the rightmost column?

And what do the "Kaplan videos" refer to? If you buy the Kaplan set, does it come with videos for each chapter and you just mean to watch that corresponding video for each day?

Sorry for the delayed response!

I think people have tended to use multiple sources for the MCAT 2015 since we have yet to have a single solid resource for this new exam. You totally don't have to, though, it's just a way to maximize the number of practice problems at your disposal. A lot of people tend to add on TBR because it has literally hundreds of practice questions, whereas the other prep companies pale in comparison in that regard.

I only correlated TBR chapters with Kaplan/EK chapters in the event you decide you need content review beyond Kaplan. But, yes, the TBR passages are meant to correlate with that Kaplan chapter.

And yes again re: the videos. There's a small online component that comes with the book set which includes a handful of associated videos.

I studied 5-8 hours/day for 2 solid months before this past August MCAT (got a 30 -- 12, 8, 10). I mostly just used the Kaplan study materials as I had already taken the classes when I thought I was going to take the April MCAT. I liked their videotaped classes much better than sitting in an actual class -- they put their best teachers on the videos. I wouldn't recommend doing anything very demanding in the way of research while studying for the MCAT. As far as the type of research, do whatever you're most interested in, not what you think med shcools want (they don't want anything in particular except interested, interesting applicants (with good GPA's who score well on the MCAT, of course!). Good luck to you. :D

I studied 5-8 hours/day for 2 solid months before this past August MCAT (got a 30 -- 12, 8, 10). I mostly just used the Kaplan study materials as I had already taken the classes when I thought I was going to take the April MCAT. I liked their videotaped classes much better than sitting in an actual class -- they put their best teachers on the videos. I wouldn't recommend doing anything very demanding in the way of research while studying for the MCAT. As far as the type of research, do whatever you're most interested in, not what you think med shcools want (they don't want anything in particular except interested, interesting applicants (with good GPA's who score well on the MCAT, of course!). Good luck to you. :D

Did you mean to reply to this thread? :p

Hi, mcatjelly,

Thank you for all that you do! Question regarding the passages you did that corresponded with the Kaplan Behavioral Science chapters. In the Kaplan version of your schedule you put, "...TPR 3.3, 3.4, 3.6, and 5.3 In-Chapter ?s." under the passages column. I seem to be missing something. Are you referring to the New TPR Psych/Social book? I do not see any in chapter questions other than the "free standing practice questions" at the end of each chapter. However, those questions are not organized to sections like you listed out in your schedule. Any guidance would be most helpful!

You're correct, I was just referring to that one passage and few discretes at the end of each TPR chapter. I've mentioned elsewhere (and should eventually update my main post, sorry) that I never ended up using the Kaplan schedule, so I don't think I'd yet realized that TPR's main practice was at the end of the chapter. There are a few questions scattered here and there, but obviously not sufficiently enough for practice. Definitely apologize for this inadequacy.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you out with.

Thank you! No apologies necessary! You have done so much for us. Thanks again for sharing your effort and expertise.

Question regarding the FL's. Your EK guide included the EK FL's instead of the NS FL's that are on your Kaplan guide. I think I only have time to do about 9 FL practice exams after my content review. I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on the available FL exams available. How would you rank them? I obviously will do both AAMC exams but what do you think about EK, TBR, TPR, Kaplan, NS, GS, ETC...?

Based on what I have read I was thinking utilizing the following exams (Taken in the order below):

1. Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 1
  2. Kaplan Full-Length MCAT 1
  3. Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 2
  4. Kaplan Full-Length MCAT 2
  5. Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 3
  6. Kaplan Full-Length MCAT 3
  7. Exam Krackers Full-Length MCAT 4
  8. AAMC Official MCAT Sample Test
  9. AAMC Official MCAT Practice Exam (Scored) 1

My concerns are with how representative these exams will be.

• From what I hear EK is pretty tough, will this translate to more effective practice than an exam from TPR, Kaplan or else where (because they are considered easier by some)?
  • I also hear great things about TBR in general with their passages and extensive content review. They have four exams, do you have any opinions on those exams?
    • I could get all four for $135.00 or three for $110.00. So they are cheaper than EK.

Ah, so sorry I missed this. The most popular FLs seem to consistently be EK and NS. I've been hearing that they're both harder than the AAMC materials but also the most representative of them.

TBR's content review materials and passages have an excellent reputation, and rightfully so, but I'm not sure if the same is true of their FLs. I hear they're not bad but not the best, either.

Hey @mcatjelly , what was your CARS strategy?

Hey, so I didn't have a super fancy strategy or anything. The two big things I did were:

1) Spend more time on the passage, not the questions. This doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but I've found that a lot of time spent going back and forth between the passage and the questions could be eliminated by spending more time reading--because that's where 100% of the information you need to answer the questions is coming from.
You could spend as much as 6-8 minutes reading the passage and only spend 2-3 minutes on questions, because there's no need to spend a lot of time on questions if you've had a good, thorough reading of the passage.

2) Highlighting. This also helped with going back and forth between the passage significantly. I highlighted key words and phrases such as assertions, names, places, dates, anything in quotation marks, and any counterarguments. This made referring back to the passage much more efficient.

*Analysis of my May Exam*

I'm sharing my study schedule
(<-- link) that I've spent an embarrassing amount of time creating in hopes that it'll help others formulate their own. :) I started studying about a month ago but not consistently as I'm still settling into the study groove, and am working FT until I switch to prn status for two months at the end of March.

DISCLAIMER: There are no rest days integrated into the schedule. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that I think this schedule can or should be done without taking a break, because I definitely don't think that. Rather, you don't see any break days because 1) I started studying while working full-time and just used this as a guide to determine what order I did things in/pair up the various resources, and 2) I now work on-call so between that and the spontaneity that is life, I wasn't sure exactly when those rest days would be. If I don't feel like studying one day, I won't push it. If I'm really feeling five 8+ hour study days in a row, I'll go with it. And that's why you see what looks like an only-55 day schedule, because of the lack of pre-planned break days. PLEASE TAKE BREAKS!

These are the primary materials I ended up using (edited 6/8/15 for clarity):
  • 2015 EK set
  • 2015 TPR Psych/Socio book
  • 2012-2013 TBR set, mostly for practice passages
  • AAMC CARS question packs
  • EK FLs
  • Official Guide 120 questions, taken as a half-length
  • AAMC Official Sample Test
Optional materials:
  • Kaplan MCAT 528
  • 2015 Kaplan set
  • The rest of the AAMC Question bundles
  • Online Kaplan passages
  • Kaplan sectional exams for CARS, Biochem, and Behavioral Sciences (3 each)
  • 3 Kaplan FLs
  • 3 TPR FLs
Note: I rarely supplemented an EK chapter with other readings, it was just an option in case I needed the extra review.

A typical study day: I aimed for 6-8 hours a day, one EK (or TPR for Psych/Socio) chapter each day. After I read EK chapter #1 of the day, I would do all of the respective TBR practice passages untimed. (Warning: this can take awhile--sometimes even a day's worth of studying--depending on how many passages there are. Don't feel obligated to complete all of the relevant passages. Also, for the physics and ochem books, the passage numbers refer to those in the 52 question exam, not the 25 question exam.) I liked to review my answers after each individual passage so that I could apply the knowledge I gained from wrong questions on one passage to subsequent passages, rather than keep making the same mistakes. Then I moved onto the next EK chapter + TBR passages + review.

As for the 30 minute exams: I found that I did much better on them when I didn't take them immediately after reviewing the relevant TBR passages. Instead, I took the 30 min exams the following day to allow for the material to sink in overnight. Once I started taking them the day after instead of the day of, my scores increased.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

SCORES ON STUFF (in order by date of completion):
(order: C/P | CARS | B/B | P/S | TOTAL)

Official Guide Half-Length: 21/30 (70%) | 29/30 (97%) | 21/30 (70%) | 23/30 (77%) | 94/120 (78%)

Official Sample Test: 37/59 (63%) | 47/53 (89%) | 42/59 (71%) | 52/59 (88%) | 177/230 (77%)

CARS Sample Pack 1a: 43/60 (72%)

EK FL 1: 38/59 (64%) | 41/53 (77%) | 43/59 (73%) | 49/59 (83%) | 171/230 (74%)

CARS Sample Pack 1b: 55/60 (92%)

EK FL 2: 38/59 (64%) | 38/53 (72%) | 37/59 (63%) | 49/59 (83%) | 162/230 (70%)

CARS Sample Pack 2a: 53/60 (88%)

EXAM SCORE: 125 | 130 | 125 | 128 | 508

Hey, I wanted to know how you purchased the "optional Kaplan Sectional exams"? I have the complete set and online there are practice passages, where I have 4 biochem exams, not 3 as you have listed above.

Hey, I wanted to know how you purchased the "optional Kaplan Sectional exams"? I have the complete set and online there are practice passages, where I have 4 biochem exams, not 3 as you have listed above.

I didn't purchase any sectional exams. Any Kaplan resources listed in my schedule came with the full set. It's very possible the free online component has changed since I bought the books in January 2015!

I didn't purchase any sectional exams. Any Kaplan resources listed in my schedule came with the full set. It's very possible the free online component has changed since I bought the books in January 2015!

That could be very likely the case here. Thanks man!!!

Hello everyone. Ok so I"m working on trying to strategist my plan of attack before I start this schedule, and I'm a little fuzzy on a couple things.

The first schedule, the one with the multicoloured rows, I notice day one starts with
--------------------------------------------------------
"- BR O-Chem Chapter #1 + 1/3

3 Verbal TPRH"

-------------------------------------------------------
1/3 of what exactly? 1/3 of Br O-chem Chapter 1?

My apologies if this seems really obvious I just don't understand lol.

Hello everyone. Ok so I"m working on trying to strategist my plan of attack before I start this schedule, and I'm a little fuzzy on a couple things.

The first schedule, the one with the multicoloured rows, I notice day one starts with
--------------------------------------------------------
"- BR O-Chem Chapter #1 + 1/3

3 Verbal TPRH"

-------------------------------------------------------
1/3 of what exactly? 1/3 of Br O-chem Chapter 1?

My apologies if this seems really obvious I just don't understand lol.
I had problem with this too, no worries lol. In BR Orgo, there are 3 exams for each chapter. You are supposed to complete one of them, and leave the other two to complete later on. This strategy allow you to test what you retain from your chapter 1 after certain period of time (I think in the schedule, you finish the second "1/3" exam after one week) and the last third at the very end when you are done with your content review.

This works for Orgo and GC BR books, but I don't know how to apply the "1/3" rule to bio books because I don't see three exams available for each section...

Hello @mcatjelly,

I just started a very similar schedule to what you put together. However I am utilizing the new TBR books for some of the content review since I am and non-trad. student with a few years removed from taking a lot of these classes. :/ ...

Regarding the reading for the day. How do you complete the reading you assigned for your self for the day?

What I have been doing so far is I would read the assigned chapter for the day word for word, section by section understanding in depth what the author is trying to say to me (basically Im not passively reading). When I come across an in chapter example I would try to solve it on my own before looking at the solution and then I would see where/what I did right or wrong (again understanding in depth the trick they employed or process the author took for that example question). I take copious notes in the book and outside the book highlighting key ideas. Making flash cards on certain things that need to be memorized (not everything).
I have found this EXTREMELY time consuming often taking me all day for some chapters before I even get to the review questions or corresponding EK practice questions... This causes my daily assignments to spill over to the next day...

What methods did you find the most effective? I have a habit of studying directly from text books however its not like that has been a 100% effective form of studying for me in the past so I am open to alternate methods.

Should I be going through corresponding video content from Khan academy (Or kaplan or others) ===> followed by answering assigned question + review ==> then going through the parts of the chapter that I was weak on ==> followed by more practice questions.

Feeling a bit over whelmed and stress out for the second day in a row. Very demoralizing to only get my CARS assignment done, and the reading done for the day (11+ hours) and no practice questions... The reading was literally 90% of my day since my CARS practice is timed...

Well, everyone learns differently. If you feel like your method is giving you a solid, thorough understanding of the material, then screw my study schedule and stick with what works for you! I took minimal to no notes which left me with a lot of time to spend on questions. That being said, I do think it's important to get a few in because it's the best way to gauge your knowledge, so it might be worth cutting down on the note-taking. Do you think you'll really go back and read through all of the notes you've written, or would you do better making a "cheat sheet"/outline for yourself?

I didn't use Khan at all because I learn way better by reading vs. hearing. Your primary study method should incorporate how you learn best. If you prefer listening to lectures, then definitely use KA.

Hello @mcatjelly,

I just started a very similar schedule to what you put together. However I am utilizing the new TBR books for some of the content review since I am and non-trad. student with a few years removed from taking a lot of these classes. :/ ...

Regarding the reading for the day. How do you complete the reading you assigned for your self for the day?

What I have been doing so far is I would read the assigned chapter for the day word for word, section by section understanding in depth what the author is trying to say to me (basically Im not passively reading). When I come across an in chapter example I would try to solve it on my own before looking at the solution and then I would see where/what I did right or wrong (again understanding in depth the trick they employed or process the author took for that example question). I take copious notes in the book and outside the book highlighting key ideas. Making flash cards on certain things that need to be memorized (not everything).
I have found this EXTREMELY time consuming often taking me all day for some chapters before I even get to the review questions or corresponding EK practice questions... This causes my daily assignments to spill over to the next day...

What methods did you find the most effective? I have a habit of studying directly from text books however its not like that has been a 100% effective form of studying for me in the past so I am open to alternate methods.

Should I be going through corresponding video content from Khan academy (Or kaplan or others) ===> followed by answering assigned question + review ==> then going through the parts of the chapter that I was weak on ==> followed by more practice questions.

Feeling a bit over whelmed and stress out for the second day in a row. Very demoralizing to only get my CARS assignment done, and the reading done for the day (11+ hours) and no practice questions... The reading was literally 90% of my day since my CARS practice is timed...
If it makes you feel any better, I'm science major still going to school and sometimes I have difficulties completing the entire reading in one day.

Hi @mcatjelly

I have question regarding TPR section 3.5
I'm trying to read through and it feels like anatomy rather than psychology. I don't understand why you decided to incorporate chapter 3.5 but ignored 3.1-3.4. They are all the same in that they cover very detailed basic anatomy background.

Thanks

Hi @mcatjelly

Are TBR sections suggested for practice passages from the old TBR books? Will the old TBR books still work for this schedule since there is a new 2016 edition of TBR out? (Is the new one any different from the old TBR)?

Oh my gosh, DO NOT start now. Wait until the semester is over, and then dive in.

EK vs. TPR depends on your comfort level with the content. TPR is very dense, EK is very concise, and both have pretty good strategy.

Forgive me if this seems like a stupid question I'm looking at your study schedule using day 1 as an example you list Kaplan Chapter 1 of Physics then TBR section 1,2 and 4 then the passages So you read for content from Kaplan and TBR? maybe the way I'm studying is wrong because it takes me more than a few hours just to finish 1 TBR chapter I read then watch Khan Videos on corresponding topics doing reading from Both Kaplan and TBR+passages will take me all day