About the ads

My Next 4 Years.. Help!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by wsbkp08, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello SDNers!
    So far I got accepted to PCOM, waitlisted at ACP vermont, and interviewed with Notre Dame Maryland.
    I probably won't go to ACP, but I am in a serious dilemma where to go.
    PCOM or Notre Dame.
    Even though I didn't get anything from NDM, I just cannot make up my mind.
    I just want to see what SDNers (ppl who are really smart!) think on deciding pharmacy school
    Here are some of the factors!

1. Pre-Req
    The reason why I am posting this up even before the acceptance letter from NDM is that I registered for pre-req classes and need to pay the fee by May 9th, which is pretty soon.
    Anyways, for PCOM, I only have to take public speaking.
    But for NDM, I need to take Anatomy with lab, public speaking, and ethics course.
    So this is one factor.

2. Curriculum
    I honestly don't know what is a good curriculum. One thing that I know is that for PCOM is trimester so things are not like all together so thats good. I personally like trimester more than studying everyday semester. However, for NDM, I don't have to take physiology (which I really hate) so thats good.

3. Location
    I live in NJ and i honestly think Georgia is way too far.
    Maryland is only 4 hrs of drive. so thats good.

4. Reputation/facilities/accreditation
    Even before I attend an interview at NDM, NDM was my first choice no matter what. However, I was kind of disappointed by NDM's facilities. I personally liked PCOM's facilities better (for example, their lectures are recorded, all textbooks are online)
    However, NDM is probably get accredited by 2013 and PCOM is probably like in 2014.
    And.. just reputation itself.. I am not sure which is better, but Im thinking maybe NDM?

5. Sent my deposit
    I already sent my deposit to PCOM and I just feel "BAD" not going there. So that's another factor.

6. I didn't get my financial aid packet so lets leave that out for now.

7. Asian population?
    Since I am an Asian (Korean) I want to go to school or environment where there are more Asians (especially Koreans).

--------------

So thanks for some of you who read everything.
    I know the final decision is up to me. However, I just want to get some information from my upper classmates or people who actually had hard time deciding school.
    (So please don't say its up to you. research. etc b/c I already have done that! and please don't say something like get the acceptance letter first!)
    Like my title said, this choosing school will determine my next 4 years so I will choose sincerely.
    Thanks for reading :)
  2. dahwsi

dahwsi

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I mean the following statement in absolutely no disrespect whatsoever and I apologize in advance if I do offend you. BUUUT in reference to your point #7, the majority of pharmacy schools in the West coast from what I've seen have a Asian>other ethnicities population if that helps your decision at all. :p

EDIT: Btw I am Asian as well
  3. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    lol, yeah too bad two schools that Im thinking about are PCOM and NDM!
    ;P
  4. dahwsi

dahwsi

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No Asians in east coast?? :confused:
  5. xKenny

xKenny

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It gets too cold :(
  6. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I need some serious feedbacks here......
    :(
  7. dahwsi

dahwsi

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OK, in all seriousness, I think you have already answered your own question.
    From what I see PCOM is the way to go for you. NDM was your #1 choice BEFORE you went to the PCOM facilities, their academic calendar cycles etc etc. At this point, it really is just a personal decision. What would I pick if I were in your situation? PCOM.

I am just curious though, what were your stats when you applied? I'm thinking of applying to NDM as well...
  8. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    My stats are really low.. lol I dont want to depress other ppl's feeling by saying it. BC its really low. haha I'll PM you if I get my acceptance letter :)
    I think my hard life helped me out.. lol
    when are you going to apply?

anyways..
    so I got PCOM vote #1..
    I am a type of person who really have hard time deciding stuff so I need ppl's contribution here!!
  9. BadgerPharm

BadgerPharm Tender Loving Medication

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OP, you say you hate physiology?

I always thought an understanding of physiology was integral to studying pharmacy. Am I missing something here? Someone please correct me if I am mistaken!
  10. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well.. more than hating physio, I have taken physio in pharm sci level. So since I already have taken it, I just dont want to take it again.
  11. jimmyat

jimmyat

Pre-Pharmacy
    Then it should be an easy A? I don't get it....
  12. BadgerPharm

BadgerPharm Tender Loving Medication

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I can't say I truly like your answer, but I feel ya.

Now to try and respond to your question. Since you've already been accepted and paid your deposit at PCOM you know for certain you'll be attending pharmacy school in the fall. Congrats! When you hear back from NDM, and assuming you get accepted, then you should start worrying more about this dilemma of yours.

If I were in your shoes I would not only think about the facilities, but also how I felt throughout the entire experience at each school, and whether or not those emotions would allow me to succeed at said program. When I got my second acceptance, I already knew that it was the school I wanted to attend for various reasons. Mostly because I could easily picture myself in the setting and working with the people I encountered while there.

As for feeling "bad" about not going to a school after paying the deposit; don't. That's only a small piece out of the big pie for you. So the school got a little extra money, and they will certainly find another candidate to fill the seat.

Finally, there are always the "what ifs" in life. Never dwell on those. Always look forward!
  13. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hello all.
    Hows finals? Haha

Well i was informed from NDM that they'll put hold on my status until they see my spring transcript.
    Its because i am a junior and i still have quite few classes to finish.
    Now I am in a worse dilemma because ill be able to know my results after starting summer class. Summer starts on may,21st and transript wont be done until like may 17th?
    I was also told that i am a strong candidate.

Any recommendation needed here :(
  14. SnowyRox

SnowyRox Pennwe c/o 2016

Fulfill all of the NDM requirements b/c it is your #1 choice. Don't turn down PCOM b/c it's your safety. Don't feel guilty about leaving them your deposit; a waitlister will be thrilled when you turn them down.
  15. Sydneyfe

Sydneyfe

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Could u share ur background with us if u don't mind? Thanks.

p.s. I'm asian, too ;)
  16. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Now I got accepted to both schools!
    NDM and PCOM
    which school should I go?
    I mean after 4 years.. which school would have more reputation?
  17. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Anyone?
    so I can give up my spot and give other people more chance?
    I'll just type few opinions about schools anyways

NDM
    -closer to home
    -More Asians?
    -Semester (have more breaks)
    -Older school
    -was my first choice
    PCOM
    -trisemester- can do work more efficiently?
    -got accepted here first

I feel like they are both great schools.
    But I am a type of a person who thinks a lot so I need ppl's input here
    I need ppl's recommendation and if people who are attending these school can give some inputs it would be great!
  18. trangalang

trangalang

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It sounds to me you're leaning towards NDM. It was also your first choice. Have you looked at tuition costs? I don't think guilt should be a driving factor in your decision. Many people get accepted to one school then later choose to attend another.
  19. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I still haven't received my financial aid packet..so..
    I have to apply after the acceptance right?
    Anyways
    yes, I am leaning towards NDM but I wanted to know other people's opinions on those two schools.
    like job offer after the graduation, reputation, etc.
  20. frabu04

frabu04

Pre-Pharmacy
    It sounds like you're trying to find people to convince you to go to PCOM. It sounds like NDM is the better choice for the reasons you have listed. And an acceptance is an acceptance, doesn't matter whether you got it first or last.
  21. wsbkp08

wsbkp08

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    hahhaa lol no~
    I really didn't mean it that way!
    I just wanted to see people's opinion on those two schools!