my NOT SO white coat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scalpel2008

beep beep beep...smash
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just put my white coat in the washer for its quarterly wash and i thought to myself, "i wonder how much crap this thing picks up in 3 months". I mean besides the obvious coffee stains, pen marks in the weirdest places, a few red specks that I like to think of as spaghetti sauce from my last cafeteria lunch, and some other random stains, a resident's white coat could probably be considered a self sufficient ecosystem consisting of every possible organism. These are the battle scars we as residents have endured, and we display them with utmost pride (just like the stains on the clogs). I hate to wash them away. Is it possible to go all residency w/o washing? I wish I would have tried but it's too late for me. Maybe one of the new incoming residents should try it. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

scalpel2008 said:
So I just put my white coat in the washer for its quarterly wash and i thought to myself, "i wonder how much crap this thing picks up in 3 months". I mean besides the obvious coffee stains, pen marks in the weirdest places, a few red specks that I like to think of as spaghetti sauce from my last cafeteria lunch, and some other random stains, a resident's white coat could probably be considered a self sufficient ecosystem consisting of every possible organism. These are the battle scars we as residents have endured, and we display them with utmost pride (just like the stains on the clogs). I hate to wash them away. Is it possible to go all residency w/o washing? I wish I would have tried but it's too late for me. Maybe one of the new incoming residents should try it. :eek:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you don't know how many times we have had this discussion. I met this chief resident who tried to go his entire chief year without washing his coat.... let me tell you, it was absolutely disgusting! Blood, spaghetti, too much coffee, MRSA, psuedomonas, saliva, hepatitis, HIV, snot, spit, piss, vinegar, scat, fecal matter, vomitus, alcohol.... you name it. Then at his year end party they burned it! They had to, it was a real public health hazzard!

esclavo said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you don't know how many times we have had this discussion. I met this chief resident who tried to go his entire chief year without washing his coat.... let me tell you, it was absolutely disgusting! Blood, spaghetti, too much coffee, MRSA, psuedomonas, saliva, hepatitis, HIV, snot, spit, piss, vinegar, scat, fecal matter, vomitus, alcohol.... you name it. Then at his year end party they burned it! They had to, it was a real public health hazzard!

You've hit on something. With all of those accumulated organic compounds, dirty white coats might actually be a viable alternative fuel that would help end America's reliance on foreign oil. I'm selling Exxon short. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously disgusting. Wash that ****. :thumbdown:

WildcatDMD said:
Seriously disgusting. Wash that ****. :thumbdown:

i know...it's awesome. thats how we do it in the dirrrty midwest! :barf:

esclavo said:

:laugh: wow, yeah, that definitely completes the list. it's good for the immune system. i would also like to add amniotic fluid and "other" discharges from the ob/gyn rotation that i won't even go into. :scared: