My oral board experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inspire004

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facts and fiction

1. Its a subjectively graded test.

2. If you are FMG like me, with english as 2nd language you need to be on the >80 %le curve of the cohort for that year, what is your best weapon, knowledge.

3. Learn to think on your toes, be flexible and adapt to the changing plot.

4. Dont beat yourself up if you dont make it on the first time, you got > 80 % chance to pass.

5. Know your weak areas from residency and experience.

6. Strengthen your weak areas by reading about them in clinical cases.

7. Dont waste your money and time on review courses, be wise, know what to fear and what to not yield, no one came out of that test room saying they passed, learn to get easy with uneasy feeling in your stomach.

8. You will make killing errors on the test , which is fine, just move on, if you are smart you will be humble and self correct while you are at the topic, if not let it go.

9. Be honest to yourself, patient and the examiner, for gods sake dont bluff just say, I dont know , recognize your limits, its a range of knowledge just like the normal values of a blood test.

10. its a good, I mean well structured test and a fair test, these guys who test are really smart and wise, I think they have seen and been there for long time, please dont BS if you are wrong or unsure, state your are not sure.

11. Read one book and master it, which ever suits you.

12. I liked the Micheal Ho Book, read it 3 times, loved the new Essence of Anesthesia practice , Yao and artusio and reed clinical cases only selected topics, if you got time i found decision making in anesthesia very helpful, short, fast, to the point, before i forget get ASA refresher course last 2 years and go through your weak areas.

13. Live courses of Ho the 4 day and 6 day, take them early as warning shots to open and push you to study more on your own, Just oral board from NJ is one of the WORST courses i ever went in my life,he has great testimonials on his web site but USELESS and expensive in my opinion,total rip off, cant comment on jensen I think its the same.

14. Practice one case every day with a partner at least, and bump it up towards the end, take control of you situation and make your plan.

15. You make the plan early and stick to it, if you failed once like the chicken with the head cut, keep your cool, there will me a time when every thing will seem to go your way and even if it doesnt you will smile and accept it, this state is called FLOW by many psychology guys.

16. Try over shooting the whole reading part than undershoot, read at least 2 hrs a day and 4 on the weekends, plan your attack monthly and make room for review of what you read towards the end , you will be surprised how much you forget if you dont review.

17. Find a partner and paraphrase or make your answers by going through the B Stiff 3 book + HO question book and must know cases A- infinity, as many as you can get a hold on.

18. Start a skype online study group and practice verbal output every day, we had 3 partners all of us made it.

19. Email me if you want to buy any of the above books, my books are on the sale section of this forum or if you have any questions, I would love to contribute to this forum.

20. Please be kind to people who love you and support you the most, at times these boards push you to your limits.

21. I DL a software called accomplishment tracker on my mac and tracked all my tasks on a weekly basis.

22. The day before the test I always have trouble falling asleep, I accepted it and meditated for 1 hr before the test and went in.

23. Have a good night sleep, study and organize your knowledge in presentable distilled chunks.

24. Be positive, work out regularly, have fun preparing, this is just my opinion, not intended to offend or praise anyone.

25. Got to work on my next challenge :idea: Pain Boards, any insights appreciated, looking for danmiller pain review DVD, CD.

26. If any one in North Carolina or South Carolina are looking to hire a Pain Interventionist or Anesthesiologist please let me know.

27. My books for sale at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820881

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
any out there, also look into my sale section if you need any books

Facts and fiction

1. Its a subjectively graded test.

2. If you are FMG like me, with english as 2nd language you need to be on the >70 %le curve of the cohort for that year, what is you best weapon, knowledge.

3. Learn to think on your toes, be flexible and adapt to changing plot.

4. Dont beat yourself up if you dont make it on the first time, you got > 80 % chance to pass.

5. Know your weak areas from residency and experience.

6. Strengthen your weak areas by reading about them in clinical cases.

7. Dont waste your money and time on review courses, be wise, know what to fear and what to not yield, no one came out of that test room saying they passed, learn to get easy with uneasy feeling in your stomach.

8. You will make killing errors on the test , which is fine, just move on, if you are smart you will be humble and self correct while you are at the topic, if not let it go.

9. Be honest to yourself, patient and the examiner, for gods sake dont bluff just say, I dont know , recognize your limits, its a range of knowledge just like the normal values of a blood test.

10. its a good, I mean well structured test and a fair test, these guys who test are really smart and wise, I think they have seen and been there for long time, please dont BS if you are wrong or unsure, state your are not sure.

11. Read one book and master it, which ever suits you.

12. I liked the Micheal Ho Book, read it 3 times, loved the new Essence of Anesthesia practice , Yao and artusio and reed clinical cases only selected topics, if you got time i found decision making in anesthesia very helpful, short, fast, to the point, before i forget get ASA refresher course last 2 years and go through your weak areas.

13. Live courses of Ho the 4 day and 6 day, take them early as warning shots to open and push you to study more on your own, Just oral board from NJ is one of the WORST courses i ever went in my life,he has great testimonials on his web site but USELESS and expensive in my opinion,total rip off, cant comment on jensen I think its the same.

14. Practice one case every day with a partner at least, and bump it up towards the end, take control of you situation and make your plan.

15. You make the plan early and stick to it, if you failed once like the chicken with the head cut, keep your cool, there will me a time when every thing will seem to go your way and even if it doesnt you will smile and accept it, this state is called FLOW by many psychology guys.

16. Try over shooting the whole reading part than undershoot, read at least 2 hrs a day and 4 on the weekends, plan your attack monthly and make room for review of what you read towards the end , you will be surprised how much you forget if you dont review.

17. Find a partner and paraphrase or make your answers by going through the B Stiff 3 book + HO question book and must know cases A- infinity, as many as you can get a hold on.

18. Start a skype online study group and practice verbal output every day, we had 3 partners all of us made it.

19. Email me if you want to buy any of the above books, my books are on the sale section of this forum or if you have any questions, I would love to contribute to this forum.

20. Please be kind to people who love you and support you the most, at times these boards push you to your limits.

21. I DL a software called accomplishment tracker on my mac and tracked all my tasks on a weekly basis.

22. The day before the test I always have trouble falling asleep, I accepted it and meditated for 1 hr before the test and went in.

23. Have good night sleep, study and organize your knowledge in presentable distilled chunks.

24. Be positive, work out regularly, have fun preparing, this is just my opinion, not intended to offend or praise anyone.

25. Got to work on my next challenge :idea: Pain Boards, any insights appreciated, looking for danmiller pain review DVD, CD.

26. If any one in North Carolina or South Carolina are looking to hire a Pain Interventionist or Anesthesiologist please let me know.

27. My books for sale at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820881

Strong work inspire004. Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed post. Hard work and focus usually pays off and it did big time for you.

The best plan for passing the orals is the plan that you come up with and tailor for yourself.

Cambie

Members don't see this ad :)
with out you guys it would have been harder, cambieMD, pgg, arch your work on this forum needs a toast, we need to come up with a social meet to meet personally, rather than on cyberspace, like yearly meet during the asa or pain meetings, this will make us more empowering just like business guys meet on renewal and better quality of life programs or seminars

Last edited:
Please us you money wisely, use only reputed sources, see if you like any thing from my post

i gave 50 % off from selling price