My own undoing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Greyangel6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the lengthy rant.... I have recently been accepted to my state school. I have a 3.944 oGPA and 3.95 sGPA but this semester, I have decided to take 17 credits + research (2 credit hours but I made it into zero-credit so I don't have to pay tuition on it). (Specifically, Physics 2+lab, Human Anatomy+lab, Lab simulation of physiology, Microbial metabolism, and Epidemiology of Infectious Disease). So far, I have had 11 tests and I have 14 more tests to go for the remaining 69 days of the semester..... And so each week, I'd have at least one test. Some weeks I'd have 2-3 tests.

I have not been doing well on the tests at all (Bs, Cs, Ds). I am going to try my darnest to keep at least Cs to maintain my admission but with my calculations of straight Cs for 17 credits, I'd end up with a 3.61 oGPA. My original intention was to graduate with cum laude - top 10% (cut-off at 3.861 for my major). So now that bubble is possibly burst and I can't help but feel like I really screwed myself over by rushing. I could've taken a lighter load and graduate in the summer and i'd still be able to start dental school AND make cum laude. :(

I apologize if this comes out as bragging but I really felt like I gave up so much for 4 years and I faltered at the last minute.:arghh: Does anyone ever feel that they worked so hard for something and then messed up at a critical moment?

Members don't see this ad.

Dental school is the long game, everything else is irrelevant. Your main concern now is graduating with C's so you don't give your school anything to hold against you. Don't worry about cum laude and don't be afraid to drop a class if its getting too overwhelming.

Reactions: 2 users
Apologies for the lengthy rant.... I have recently been accepted to my state school. I have a 3.944 oGPA and 3.95 sGPA but this semester, I have decided to take 17 credits + research (2 credit hours but I made it into zero-credit so I don't have to pay tuition on it). (Specifically, Physics 2+lab, Human Anatomy+lab, Lab simulation of physiology, Microbial metabolism, and Epidemiology of Infectious Disease). So far, I have had 11 tests and I have 14 more tests to go for the remaining 69 days of the semester..... And so each week, I'd have at least one test. Some weeks I'd have 2-3 tests.

I have not been doing well on the tests at all (Bs, Cs, Ds). I am going to try my darnest to keep at least Cs to maintain my admission but with my calculations of straight Cs for 17 credits, I'd end up with a 3.61 oGPA. My original intention was to graduate with cum laude - top 10% (cut-off at 3.861 for my major). So now that bubble is possibly burst and I can't help but feel like I really screwed myself over by rushing. I could've taken a lighter load and graduate in the summer and i'd still be able to start dental school AND make cum laude. :(

I apologize if this comes out as bragging but I really felt like I gave up so much for 4 years and I faltered at the last minute.:arghh: Does anyone ever feel that they worked so hard for something and then messed up at a critical moment?
Hey, get off SDN and study now! Don't make me bring out the whip.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does uf require to maintain its admissions?

What does uf require to maintain its admissions?

I'm pretty sure my acceptance letter said something like "satisfactory grades," or something of the sort... I basically read it as "C's get degrees."

In the long run no one will care if you were Cum Laude. I was in hygiene school and the only thing I have to remember it by is the extra tasssly thingy I wore at graduation. No employer has ever asked where I placed in my class or even how I did on my boards...they just ask to see my license. Which even the person who graduated last in our class got...lol.