My parents are pressuring me to become a doctor. What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I do? I kind of want to take a shot, but my parents want me to give a 100% guarantee that I will get in med school. Which, after reviewing acception rates, seems a little hard to guarantee this. It seems impossible to get As in premed. I am about to start college in 2008. I know this seems early to decide, but I heard you have to sign-up from preqs before you start college. I am willing to go for it, but again it is not for sure I can get into med school. I mean it seems pretty intimidating: getting As in bio, chem.etc, geting a good GPA, good MCAT score, and even after all that hard work, there is no guarantee, expecially the interview. Here are some stats from an "undergraduate" college website:
Freshmen premeds:3065
Soph premeds:2238
Junior premeds:1289 (yep, that good old organic chem wipes half the premeds--that's what I heard.)
Applicants:1289
Interviewed:407 (Implies that the rest were automatically rejected due to low grades, etc)
Accepted:8

Members don't see this ad.

oh please oh please tell me what school that was...

Members don't see this ad :)
um, you say you are starting college in 2008, but in another thread oyu state you will be premed this fall...please leave

I don't understand what difference it makes whether or not you give a 100% definite answer right now. You still have to go through four years of college, and that's not going to change regardless of whatever you tell them. And you certainly can't guarantee what an adcom is going to do, so how can even consider that you can actually tell your parents "Yes, I will get into medical school"? The choice to become a doctor is yours; the choice to accept you into medical school is not.

Besides, what's wrong with signing up for the prereqs and seeing how you do? It's not like they only let gung-ho "I KNOW I'M going to get into medical school because I'M so special" kids into organic chemistry.

It sounds like you need to sit down with your parents and actually talk about what's realistic to expect.

Do not plan on going to medical school because its what your parents want.

Do not. Do not. Do not.

Do not plan on going to medical school because its what your parents want.

Do not. Do not. Do not.

Ditto. Seriously, you're going to hate it, yourself, and them. And SDN. And then we willl be sad. :(

Yeah. From my experience, it's better to show resistance to your parents' plans EARLIER than later. It gets tougher as you build up resentment and they solidy in their minds what the future will be like.

1. 8 out of 1200? Don't go to that school.
2. You will hate everything about your life UNLESS you truly want to do it/ are actually interested in the subjects.
Say no to parental pressure

Believe it or not, roughly half of all medical school applicants (I think the number is 44%) get into medical school one way or another. The real question though is, although your parents are pushing you to do this, do YOU want to do this? Having an interest in science is not enough, since you'll be spending the next ten or so years of your life working to become a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
this means you still have one more year of high school?:rolleyes:
Why don't you worry about getting into college first?

I agree. That and getting a date for Prom should be your biggest concerns friend.

Believe it or not, roughly half of all medical school applicants (I think the number is 44%) get into medical school one way or another. The real question though is, although your parents are pushing you to do this, do YOU want to do this? Having an interest in science is not enough, since you'll be spending the next ten or so years of your life working to become a doctor.

half of all applicants. Most pre-med freshmen never even apply.

Okay, now I see what's behind all the stress. I'm the one who started chiding you for posting so many scheduling & MCAT worry threads as a high schooler. It really works much better if you keep your line of questions to a single thread and stay honest and open.

Overall, it's really not as bad as the stats that school posted. (The stats were interesting. Do post where you found those.) Yes, many more students enter college calling themselves premed than actually complete the path. Perhaps the main reason for that is that they think it sounds cool, but don't have any idea that success requires more than just a declaration. Desire, ability, determination, and WORK are a much larger part of the formula.

That does not mean that you have to machete your entire path now, as a high schooler. However, taking the time to understand the steps now, instead of 3 years down the road, will be helpful to you.

Really, you do need to stop stressing. Focus on getting into college and having a successful senior year. Read threads. You'll learn a lot just by doing that. Don't be stressing about ochem now. It's not that bad if you're interested in the subject and study effectively. If you do well in bio & chem before that, you'll probably do just fine. Having straight A's in college will NOT make or break your application.

Some questions for you - What major interests YOU most right now? You mentioned psych in another thread. That's a fine major. You can do that and get your prereqs in. No need to major in bio, chem, or biochem. Take classes that interest you. That's important to your life in college and beyond. What is your high school record like - what types of courses have you taken & what how has your overall performance been? Are you an only or eldest child? An only son? Why are your parents pressuring you? Have they been like this all your life, or just over med school? People can give you much more appropriate replies when they understand the background.

You do not want to be stuck in medicine, or any other profession, just because your parents expect it of you. You'd be miserable and your parents really wouldn't be any happier. They have to find their own happiness. They can't live their dreams through you. Making it to MD is something you have to want for yourself. You have plenty of time to test the waters between now and when you would apply. College is supposed to expose you to new experiences and ideas. You'll have the opportunity to think and rethink about suitable life paths. Your parents will become less influential.

Hopefully people on here can help destress you. You seem to have already internalized too much pressure.

No point in doing something your parents want. You can't guarantee a 100% admission to medical school.

If you want to go to medical school, then do it because YOU want to. You'll be spending more than a decade of studying and $200,000 to get your MD/DO. Think carefully.

i understand what kind of stress you are under. For now, just tell your parents you are going to med school for sure. Then, when you start college, take pre-req classes and see if medicine is the right path. When the time comes, you then finally decide whether you want to go ahead and apply.

If you later decide that this is not for you, you are going to have to come up with some good answers to convince your daddy and mommy. you still have time so you can worry about it later :laugh:

Okay a few things: 1. First, your stats are just flat out wrong. I go to a very respected, hugeee state school known for its pre-med (and the competition that comes with it) and we still have a 50% acceptance rate. 2. Don't get into medicine for the wrong reasons, it makes my stomach churn thinking about parents that basically say ' you are going to be a Dr.' I have many MANY friends in that boat, and they hate their lives and are not MD quality bc they just don't have a passion for it. 3. No one can guarantee acceptance to a med school. Well, unless your dad is the dean or something ... but I'm doubting that. You don't need to worry about this for a while, but you have to do what you want to do in life. It's your life, not anyone elses.

half of all applicants. Most pre-med freshmen never even apply.

Well if there hearts aren't in medicine or they don't take the course work seriously, then yeah they won't end up applying at all. I'm assuming if he gets over the hurdles of the pre-requisites and MCATs.

I say breathe, then run away and join the circus. Honestly if you are this tightly wound now in high school you could crash and burn in college. Please, please.. it's summer. Go out and have some fun.

Well if there hearts aren't in medicine or they don't take the course work seriously, then yeah they won't end up applying at all. I'm assuming if he gets over the hurdles of the pre-requisites and MCATs.

still, that's a MASSIVE assumption. "not having their hearts in it" is hardly what has kept a lot of my classmates out of it... they just simply didn't have what it takes academically... Hell, at least one obsessive gunner pre-med had a 3.8+ and was later named to PBK, but went out when she couldn't handle the MCAT.

I'm confused. Your thread header says your parents are pressuring you to become a doc and your post says you want to take a shot but they want a guarantee. For what? Or what? You mean they say, "go be a premed and you better make it into med school"?

If that's what's going on, you either aren't telling us the whole story or your parents are psycho.

If they are psycho, it's time to break the cycle with a head game. Pretend you are considering doing something they find appalling (becoming mormon, trying the gay lifestyle, joining the Britney Spears fan club) and use it to give them perspective on how silly it is to try to freak out about you maybe not getting into medicine. (But never tell them you were pretending :D)

Good luck.

your parents know whats best for you. If you take their advice, oh I don't know...you'll be living a pretty good lifestyle.:)

:)Normally this poster really pisses me off. [I guess I'm just a biatchhhhh] But, I am in Malibu and right now I don't even have the capacity to be annoyed.

SO....

+pad+

your parents know whats best for you. If you take their advice, oh I don't know...you'll be living a pretty good lifestyle.:)

:barf: really???

still, that's a MASSIVE assumption. "not having their hearts in it" is hardly what has kept a lot of my classmates out of it... they just simply didn't have what it takes academically... Hell, at least one obsessive gunner pre-med had a 3.8+ and was later named to PBK, but went out when she couldn't handle the MCAT.

Well we come from different backgrounds then hehe. My freshman class had 300 of the 700 students self-declare "pre-med" before they entered school. When about 100 of them dropped the pre-med track after first semester general chemistry, did they pursue other health care professional tracks? No. They all wanted to go to medical school and become doctors. There is more to the sciences than research or being pre-med, hence why I'm the co-president of our school's "Pre-Health Society" and not "Pre-Med Society." Those 100 or so students did not continue in science at all; many of them went to economics actually because it's an easier track at my school than any science curriculum. Seems to me like their major declarations are driven more by the money, rather than the love for the work they are doing.