My Passing NAPLEX Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npatel1050

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a lot of encouragement from this thread and I just wanted to share my experience with you all. Hopefully it benefits someone. I got an 86 on prenaplex and 108 on NAPLEX
Let me start by saying I'm not a bright student. I was simply average in school. GPA wasn't the greatest. I would spend countless hours studying, while other students could prepare for exams in half the time or less.
This is how I studied for pharmacotherapeutics:
  • Used pre-typed notes from last year to follow along in class and take additional notes.
  • Went back and listened to lecture recording again to take more detailed and thorough notes (usually took very long, as I would keep pausing, rewinding, and writing (no, I didn't write down everything the teacher said, just the important bits)
  • Highlight (5 different colors designated for different material types - i.e. definitions, details, mechanics, examples, adverse effects etc.)
  • Made color coordinated flash cards of condensed but comprehensive material using 4 color pen (following similar layout to notes) - these are my bread and butter for studying. Also how I studied for NAPLEX
  • Made general outlines of each subject (if I had time) leading up to the exam for fast reviewing
Why am I telling you this? Because it shows how dumb I was at studying and how much I had to do just to get decent grades. But it's a formula that works for me, and when I've tried to change it, I've gotten terrible grades.

On to the exam prep itself. I used rxprep with the quiz bank. I spent a total of 1.5 months light studying, and 1 month hardcore studying. I covered the book in its entirety 2 times (ran out of the time while I was going through a third time). I had an arsenal of flash cards and notes which made going through the book a lot easier and faster. Make your own notes and study tools, because when reviewing, the book is just too big to read through.

Pace yourself and have set goals - The second half of the book (past ID) goes a lot quicker than the first half, because the chapters tend to be shorter. Having goals will make sure you stay on track. The book is big and you SHOULD have only a limited amount of time to get through it (read below)
Don't dwell on smaller topics - It's impossible to know everything. You have to be OK with knowing that. If there's smaller topics like motion sickness, know the main 1 or 2 points. If the exam ends up asking you an asinine detailed question, chances are you probably wouldn't have known it anyway or spent too much time studying it, when you could've used that time elsewhere.
Try to prep for the whole exam in 1.5 months or less - this may seem a little left field, but don't prep too long for this exam. More time, doesn't mean you'll get a better score, or know more. There's a limit to what your brain can take and the stress you have when preparing. You will also find it hard to keep topics fresh in your head when preparing, especially the more you prepare. So put a time limit on the exam. You will never feel fully prepared so don't wait around for that day. Just jump in and take it.
Prenaplex is useful but not necessary - The only real reason I took the prenaplex was to see if I could pass and calm my nerves. If you do well on the prenaplex, you will pass the real exam. The layout of the prenaplex is not accurate.
Know your math and biostats - If you don't know this, you probably won't pass the exam.

I took the whole NAPLEX and finished with 45 minutes to spare. Anticipate that they will give you math at the end that needs some time to work through. It's unfair for them to do that, but that's just the way it is.
I hope this write up helps some of you out there when taking your naplex. Any questions, please feel free to ask. Now, I'm off to study for NJ law!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I got a lot of encouragement from this thread and I just wanted to share my experience with you all. Hopefully it benefits someone. I got an 86 on prenaplex and 108 on NAPLEX
Let me start by saying I'm not a bright student. I was simply average in school. GPA wasn't the greatest. I would spend countless hours studying, while other students could prepare for exams in half the time or less.
  • Used pre-typed notes from last year to follow along in class and take additional notes.
  • Went back and listened to lecture recording again to take more detailed and thorough notes (usually took very long, as I would keep pausing, rewinding, and writing (no, I didn't write down everything the teacher said, just the important bits)
  • Highlight (5 different colors designated for different material types - i.e. definitions, details, mechanics, examples, adverse effects etc.)
  • Made color coordinated flash cards of condensed but comprehensive material using 4 color pen (following similar layout to notes) - these are my bread and butter for studying. Also how I studied for NAPLEX
  • Made general outlines of each subject (if I had time) leading up to the exam for fast reviewing
Why am I telling you this? Because it shows how dumb I was at studying and how much I had to do just to get decent grades. But it's a formula that works for me, and when I've tried to change it, I've gotten terrible grades.

On to the exam prep itself. I used rxprep with the quiz bank. I spent a total of 1.5 months light studying, and 1 month hardcore studying. I covered the book in its entirety 2 times (ran out of the time while I was going through a third time). I had an arsenal of flash cards and notes which made going through the book a lot easier and faster. Make your own notes and study tools, because when reviewing, the book is just too big to read through.

Pace yourself and have set goals - The second half of the book (past ID) goes a lot quicker than the first half, because the chapters tend to be shorter. Having goals will make sure you stay on track. The book is big and you SHOULD have only a limited amount of time to get through it (read below)
Don't dwell on smaller topics - It's impossible to know everything. You have to be OK with knowing that. If there's smaller topics like motion sickness, know the main 1 or 2 points. If the exam ends up asking you an asinine detailed question, chances are you probably wouldn't have known it anyway or spent too much time studying it, when you could've used that time elsewhere.
Try to prep for the whole exam in 1.5 months or less - this may seem a little left field, but don't prep too long for this exam. More time, doesn't mean you'll get a better score, or know more. There's a limit to what your brain can take and the stress you have when preparing. You will also find it hard to keep topics fresh in your head when preparing, especially the more you prepare. So put a time limit on the exam. You will never feel fully prepared so don't wait around for that day. Just jump in and take it.
Prenaplex is useful but not necessary - The only real reason I took the prenaplex was to see if I could pass and calm my nerves. If you do well on the prenaplex, you will pass the real exam. The layout of the prenaplex is not accurate.
Know your math and biostats - If you don't know this, you probably won't pass the exam.

I took the whole NAPLEX and finished with 45 minutes to spare. Anticipate that they will give you math at the end that needs some time to work through. It's unfair for them to do that, but that's just the way it is.
I hope this write up helps some of you out there when taking your naplex. Any questions, please feel free to ask. Now, I'm off to study for NJ law!

Thank you very much for sharing your heart with encouraging and helpful thoughts. We really appreciate your help.:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

:clap:Congratulations on passing above 100. :clap:

I am sure you will have lots of blessings from above for your future exam.

Good job on your exam. I just took it earlier today. I did NOT have much biostats on mine. Maybe like 2 or 3 questions.

I only had like 3 biostats questions on mine :(
Is that a bad sign that I may have failed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Molyhelp, please help me, I failed the Naplex last months, I cried all days and nights, I am so scared if I failed this time, I heard ppl discussed about the 120 SDN math questions? Does anyone know where I can buy it?? I am studied the passnaplexnow and Rx prep now. Please help!! I got a lot of questions about calculate Crcl, ? maybe I am confused how to use IBW, Actual BW or TBW...Please please help , thanks a lot

How did you feel after taking the NAPLEX?? I did the Pre-NAPLEX and got a 90. I just took the NAPLEX, and I undoubtedly feel like I bombed it.

Dear Molyhelp, please help me, I failed the Naplex last months, I cried all days and nights, I am so scared if I failed this time, I heard ppl discussed about the 120 SDN math questions? Does anyone know where I can buy it?? I am studied the passnaplexnow and Rx prep now. Please help!! I got a lot of questions about calculate Crcl, ? maybe I am confused how to use IBW, Actual BW or TBW...Please please help , thanks a lot

I understand your pain. I cried night and day too when I found out that I failed. I took a trip 2 weeks after getting my results to relax and forget about my troubles. I took a break before returning back to the books. I didn't do the 120 SDN because some of the answers on there weren't correct. I did pronto pass and I think it made a lot of difference.
I just took Naplex for my second time today. I think it went much better than when I took it in July. I got My ATT number yesterday and scheduled it for today. I had to drive hours, since there wasn't any available dates in this part of town. The ATT number comes out on the 90th day, not sooner. Today makes it the 91st day.

The first time I took the exam, I didn't finish on time. So I got penalized and failed the exam. This time around, I finish 32 minutes ahead of time. I like this site because I get to read about other peoples stories, which really helped me cope with not passing the Naplex. I am more optimistic this time, the calculations were a breeze. I did struggle with the calculations the first time, since I didn't do enough practice questions. The pronto pass note cards made all the difference, I wish I had it the first time. My results should be out on friday, I can't wait!

NHuMai, focus your studies on the math this time around. The 120 SDN questions are a great FREE resource courtesy of this forum. You can download them by clicking here. You should not take the NAPLEX until you are very confident with doing the math found in the 120 SDN questions. Determining whether to use IBW or ABW depends on the actual weight on the patient. Read the question carefully and consider the drug in question. Most of the time your answer will be using IBW with respect to CrCl dosing. My strategy during an exam was to always calculate the IBW. From there I always multiplied the IBW * 1.3. If the patient's actual weight was LESS than this answer, then you do not have to use the ABW.

The reason you are doing this calculation is because when a patient is greater than 30% of their IBW, they are generally considered obese. CrCl and drug dosing in obese patients using the IBW formula is less accurate than using the adjusted body weight formula. That is why you calculate CrCl using ABW in this patient population.

Sometimes a question will tell you exactly which weight they want you to use. Don't waste time calculating whether or not they fall into ABW or IBW if the question tells you which one to use. Just go based on what the question wants.

Another pointer is that sometimes a patient weighs less than their IBW. In that case you would use the patient's actual weight in order to calculate their CrCl.

If you do not have this concept committed to memory, then you are not ready to take the NAPLEX! It is a major re-occurring theme in pharmacy school. Almost everyone taking the exam has this concept committed to memory, and you should be one of those students. Keep in mind that the NAPLEX is designed to test your overall pharmacy knowledge at the level of about 1 year after practicing as a pharmacist (that's one of the reasons why rotations exist). Your score is also based on how well prior test takers have done. I would guess that you need to brush up on additional topics before taking your next exam. I don't mean to offend you by these statements. Its a concept that is almost guaranteed to appear on your exam, so make sure you are comfortable with it. Use this opportunity to build more confidence by studying this concept, plus the concepts you were not familiar with in your first attempt.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Do u have the pronto pass math. I used that and it woke miracles for me. I can sell mine to you if you don't already have it

Dear Molyhelp, please help me, I failed the Naplex last months, I cried all days and nights, I am so scared if I failed this time, I heard ppl discussed about the 120 SDN math questions? Does anyone know where I can buy it?? I am studied the passnaplexnow and Rx prep now. Please help!! I got a lot of questions about calculate Crcl, ? maybe I am confused how to use IBW, Actual BW or TBW...Please please help , thanks a lot[/QU
NHuMai, focus your studies on the math this time around. The 120 SDN questions are a great FREE resource courtesy of this forum. You can download them by clicking here. You should not take the NAPLEX until you are very confident with doing the math found in the 120 SDN questions. Determining whether to use IBW or ABW depends on the actual weight on the patient. Read the question carefully and consider the drug in question. Most of the time your answer will be using IBW with respect to CrCl dosing. My strategy during an exam was to always calculate the IBW. From there I always multiplied the IBW * 1.3. If the patient's actual weight was LESS than this answer, then you do not have to use the ABW.

The reason you are doing this calculation is because when a patient is greater than 30% of their IBW, they are generally considered obese. CrCl and drug dosing in obese patients using the IBW formula is less accurate than using the adjusted body weight formula. That is why you calculate CrCl using ABW in this patient population.

Sometimes a question will tell you exactly which weight they want you to use. Don't waste time calculating whether or not they fall into ABW or IBW if the question tells you which one to use. Just go based on what the question wants.

Another pointer is that sometimes a patient weighs less than their IBW. In that case you would use the patient's actual weight in order to calculate their CrCl.

If you do not have this concept committed to memory, then you are not ready to take the NAPLEX! It is a major re-occurring theme in pharmacy school. Almost everyone taking the exam has this concept committed to memory, and you should be one of those students. Keep in mind that the NAPLEX is designed to test your overall pharmacy knowledge at the level of about 1 year after practicing as a pharmacist (that's one of the reasons why rotations exist). Your score is also based on how well prior test takers have done. I would guess that you need to brush up on additional topics before taking your next exam. I don't mean to offend you by these statements. Its a concept that is almost guaranteed to appear on your exam, so make sure you are comfortable with it. Use this opportunity to build more confidence by studying this concept, plus the concepts you were not familiar with in your first attempt.

Good luck!

Hi Carbon14,

Thank you so much for the great tips!! So is this mean if the question do not specify to use IBW, actual weight or AdjBW to calculate for CrCl ... then you have to calculate IBW to see if the patient is obese or not? If 30% over IBW, then calculate for AdjBW and use that. If not, use IBW or else use Actual BW if under weight?

Thanks so much for answering.

@NHuMai - I'm sorry to hear the news, but you're not the only one. I'm in the same situation or not worse. I took mine twice and failed. This is my last chance to make it right. Very nervous & frustrated. I'm not even sure if I should continue working during this 3 months or not since I work 30-32 hours per week before -- not good. :( Good luck to both of us.

Hi Carbon14,

Thank you so much for the great tips!! So is this mean if the question do not specify to use IBW, actual weight or AdjBW to calculate for CrCl ... then you have to calculate IBW to see if the patient is obese or not? If 30% over IBW, then calculate for AdjBW and use that. If not, use IBW or else use Actual BW if under weight?

@@NHuMai - I'm sorry to hear the news, but you're not the only one. I'm in the same situation or not worse. I took mine twice and failed. This is my last chance to make it right. Very nervous & frustrated. I'm not even sure if I should continue working during this 3 months or not since I work 30-32 hours per week before -- not good. :( Good luck to both of us.

Dear NhuMai,
Sorry about your hiccup of this road, I pray you will pass this time. I am thankful to other friends that shared comforting thoughts and supports infused throughout the detailed and thoughtful answers. I agree with math tips that our friends here shared as helpful knowledge and secrets for us to embrace and prepare for the next battle.
Good luck and please come back to help others when you have a chance. Thank you very much in advance.

120 SDN Math Questions and Answers is included right here for your convenience.

Attachments

• 120 Math Questions with Answers from Student Doctor Network dot org, very helpful for NAPLEX.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 69

Good luck!
Thank you very much for your help

Hi Carbon14,

@@NHuMai - I'm sorry to hear the news, but you're not the only one. I'm in the same situation or not worse. I took mine twice and failed. This is my last chance to make it right. Very nervous & frustrated. I'm not even sure if I should continue working during this 3 months or not since I work 30-32 hours per week before -- not good. :( Good luck to both of us.

That is correct. Those formulas have depth beyond their math. That depth is in your explanation. Good job!