My pharmacy just got robbed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanLaser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

The pharmacy i was working at just got robbed. Some crazy crackhead jumped the counter, threatened everyone with a knife and demanded all the narcotics. Thank god he ran off as soon as he got the drugs and didn't actually hurt anyone. Even so, it's pretty much the scariest moment of my life..

Has anyone else been through this situation before? I feel so scared of going back to work.

Members don't see this ad.

The key right now is to write down everything you remember and don't touch anything until the police come. You need to contact your manager/rx supervisor. You need to call the DEA and tell them you've been robbed. Just be thankful no one was hurt and he just left without causing problems.

My pharmacy has been robbed several times. Fortunately it has always been over night when no one was there. The robbers broke our big fancy safe and left holes in our door.

Just take a deep breath and move on.

Reactions: 1 users
Never been robbed in a pharmacy, but I've witnessed an armed robbery with guns discharged and one of the robbers shot (manager had a gun).

Definitely shook me up pretty hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, if you need it get counseling, short term, workers compensation get it. No sense going back into work if you can't Perform despite people/corp telling you to buck up. Also need to consider if corporate let you be an easy target and respond accordingly

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
we've also been robbed but only at night when we're closed. we're next to a hair salon with minimal security so they always go in through the salon then through the wall or ceiling to our store. it happened enough times that we got a huge safe, but it still makes me nervous because only the pharmacists know the combo. I feel like all employees should know it in case the pharmacist is out for some reason and the robber thinks we're lying about not knowing the combo. but there's not much else you can do I guess...

wtf Just got robbed yesterday at gun point an hour b4 closing, is this a rob a pharmacy week

At my pharmacy, they enter through the emergency exit. Pharmacy robbery is a major issue in Wisconsin. The major drugs they want are oxycodone and promethazine with codeine.

I'm sorry you experienced that. I would recommend receiving counseling, honestly. This is a workman's comp issue. I personally would milk it for all it's worth.

Reactions: 1 user
where do u get counseling? psychiatrist? family doctor? and how do u initiate worker's comp?

The two top states for pharmacy robberies so far this year are Indiana and Wisconsin.

oh wow that must be scary. Sometimes i feel like independents are more likely to get robbed. I've never experienced it but heard of the stories and i always had the thought in the back of my mind when i rotated at a few independent pharmacies in more quiet areas and especially very slow pharmacies. Thats the thing, like we go to school for many years and realizing that it actually has some danger it to some extent but depending on where you work.