My school list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

centersharpie

Pre-PA
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3 overall and a 3.1 science. I know I need to score a 30+ for schools to even look at me. So assuming I get a 30+ MCAT (taking on 7/8) what are my chances of getting into these med schools.

UMDNJ - NJMS (NJ resident)
UMDNJ - RWJ
Howard
Morehouse
Columbia P&S (a completely reach school... I know)
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Mt. Sinai

I would love to apply to more schools but I can't afford it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

c.s.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 3.3 overall and a 3.1 science. I know I need to score a 30+ for schools to even look at me. So assuming I get a 30+ MCAT (taking on 7/8) what are my chances of getting into these med schools.

UMDNJ - NJMS (NJ resident)
UMDNJ - RWJ
Howard
Morehouse
Columbia P&S (a completely reach school... I know)
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Mt. Sinai

I would love to apply to more schools but I can't afford it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

c.s.

Did you apply for the fee assistance program? If you don't qualify, trust me, it's worth the money to add more schools. With such a low GPA you need to apply much more broadly. Your GPA is below the median for acceptees of every school on the list, including your state schools and the HBCUs, so to put it bluntly, as of now it's a tough sell.

Did you apply for the fee assistance program? If you don't qualify, trust me, it's worth the money to add more schools. With such a low GPA you need to apply much more broadly. Your GPA is below the median for acceptees of every school on the list, including your state schools and the HBCUs, so to put it bluntly, as of now it's a tough sell.

My mom makes too much money for the FAP. It sucks because even though she makes a decent amount of money we are still struggling. BTW do you go to Rutgers?

P.s my gpa is low because I failed organic I. I retook it and I got an A in both organic chem I and II, plus my GPAs after that semester have been above a 3.7.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take Columbia off your list and save $70 bucks or so.

any suggestions?

No I don't go to Rutgers. Will not disclose where to maintain anonymity.

So the F in orgo is the only bad to mediocre science grade? Any Cs? Any B-s or even Bs? Depending on your answer, I think it's ok to have a few reaches in the vein of Columbia, because then you can argue that the one course was an aberration. It's better to fail one course, fix it, and move on than to get a couple of Ds...

It's hard to tell you where to add without an MCAT score. You don't even have a practice score available to us, and even those are suspect. 30+ is too broad, there's a big difference between a 34 and a 31.

Say if I were to add about 6 more schools... what schools should I add with my stats?

Thanks
c.s

If you look at the average undergraduate GPA of accepted candidates at over 100 med schools in the US, you will find they almost all begin around a 3.5 and go up from there.

You need a super MCAT score - say 34 or better to compensate for your 3.3 GPA. Also consider Osteopathic schools.

Some med schools to consider:
East Carolina Univ.
Mercer Univ.
Virginia Commonwealth Univ,.
Southern Illinois Univ - Springfield

If anyone could comment on my list of schools, I'd be forever in your debt.
Thanks!

mt sinai is a bit of a reach as well, I believe they had 3.8 and 35 (the same as columbio)

Are you an URM? I noticed you had Morehouse and Howard on your list - both very selective to minorities, in case you didn't know.

I agree with previous posts that you need a 33+ on your MCAT to make it through initial screenings. Afterwards, what sets you apart from other applicants? Even further, (the money question) why do you want to be a doctor, rather than another "service" career? Definitely consider DO schools (PCOM, if you want to specialize). MD vs. DO shouldn't be a "make or break" question to ANYONE who is into medicine for the right reasons (the patients!). Just my two cents...