my stats and chances (in Texas)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beadle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm sure posts like this one come up all the time, so I'm sorry if it's a redundant question....

I'm currently a biomedical science major at Texas A&M and will graduate in 2007, so I plan on applying next year. I am from Dallas and would looove to go to UTSW, but would go for any other TX school, too.

Oftentimes I feel like I am a highly competitive candidate for med school, but there are those other times I feel shadowed by students who have been hard-core-doctor-driven for much longer than I have, and thus have more experience under their belt. Originally, I wanted to go to vet school, but I changed my mind about a year and a half ago.

+ 4.0 GPA
+ minoring in English
+ came in with numerous AP credits (including all 8 for bio) and have not taken more than a 14 hour course load each semester as a result
+ took physics II at community college because the one fall professor sucked
+ more rigorous courseload this fall: biochem, anatomy, genetics, a business class
+ working as an assistant/nurse at my allergist's practice this summer
+ starting my second year as a resident advisor, this year specifically for a new learning community
+ was a director for the organization that represents the on-campus community and organized a retreat for almost 200 people. Still a member, but not a director because residence life won't let you take on way too much as an RA
+ will volunteer at the local hospital throughout the school year
+ will also do volunteer work at a local elementary school
+ pre-med society and several honor societies
+ I will take the MCAT next april, will take kaplan starting in october, and based on practice tests I believe I can score above a 30

So my main concern is my medical experience...I have acheived so much leadership wise at my school, but feel like I'm behind the pack that has all the internships, international experience, and research time.

Can anyone give me their opinion on where I stand and how I can improve myself as a candidate?

Thanks!
Ashley

Members don't see this ad.

With that GPA you have absolutely no chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is this just like one of those "stroke my ego" threads or what?

daysleeprx said:

I would say it's 1 part "stroke my ego" and 2 parts "typical premed foolishness"

oh and maybe just a pinch of troll

troll.gif

:laugh:

crazy_cavalier said:
I would say it's 1 part "stroke my ego" and 2 parts "typical premed foolishness"

oh and maybe just a pinch of troll

troll.gif

:laugh:

Add ice, shake well, twist of lemon to taste. Enjoy!

daysleeprx said:

Probably not the only thing that needs stroking. :rolleyes:

If you don't get at least 35 on the MCAT, ADCOMS will know your GPA is inflated.

Beadle said:
Hello everyone. I'm sure posts like this one come up all the time, so I'm sorry if it's a redundant question....

I'm currently a biomedical science major at Texas A&M and will graduate in 2007, so I plan on applying next year. I am from Dallas and would looove to go to UTSW, but would go for any other TX school, too.

Oftentimes I feel like I am a highly competitive candidate for med school, but there are those other times I feel shadowed by students who have been hard-core-doctor-driven for much longer than I have, and thus have more experience under their belt. Originally, I wanted to go to vet school, but I changed my mind about a year and a half ago.

+ 4.0 GPA
+ minoring in English
+ came in with numerous AP credits (including all 8 for bio) and have not taken more than a 14 hour course load each semester as a result
+ took physics II at community college because the one fall professor sucked
+ more rigorous courseload this fall: biochem, anatomy, genetics, a business class
+ working as an assistant/nurse at my allergist's practice this summer
+ starting my second year as a resident advisor, this year specifically for a new learning community
+ was a director for the organization that represents the on-campus community and organized a retreat for almost 200 people. Still a member, but not a director because residence life won't let you take on way too much as an RA
+ will volunteer at the local hospital throughout the school year
+ will also do volunteer work at a local elementary school
+ pre-med society and several honor societies
+ I will take the MCAT next april, will take kaplan starting in october, and based on practice tests I believe I can score above a 30

So my main concern is my medical experience...I have acheived so much leadership wise at my school, but feel like I'm behind the pack that has all the internships, international experience, and research time.

Can anyone give me their opinion on where I stand and how I can improve myself as a candidate?

Thanks!
Ashley

seems like your really talented, mainly with that 4.0

lets hope that talent exsits when you take the mcat

Yes, as long as you get a good score on the MCAT, you'll be fine.