my stats, chances - advice - add more schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyogen

Pursuit of Happyness - medical equipment sales
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • I just took the DAT a week or so ago. I got like a 16 about 8 years ago. This time I got 20AA, 18TS. (23 reading, 23 gchem, 21 pat, 19 math, 19 ochem, 15 bio........ -_-
Do you think I'll need to retake the DAT? I could go into more detail about my scores and how I prepared. The 15 on the bio was a big shocker. I was doing much better in practice tests.. I also expected to do better in PAT, and math..

• I think I have a pretty strong personal statement and why I have focused myself and committed to dentistry after all these years of working.
  • I've applied to the top 5 or so schools on the popular list on this board:
  • I based my apps on number of OOS seats.
  • I just sent in my application recently.
  • I had horrible GPA more than 7-8 years ago when I graduated from college. I think maybe science GPA of around 2.5 and overall about 2.85
  • Starting last summer I've been retaking classes - I think I have about a 3.4GPA since then.
  • I'm working part time and continuing to take classes this term including biochem, but biochem is the only upper div science class I've taken/started to take. The only series I haven't *re*-completed yet is Physics - which I will have done at least by the end of this summer.
Does it make sense to apply to more schools? I REALLY want/need to get in for 2013... Money is not really an issue if it means reasonably increasing my chances as I'm sure many of you would agree-- Should I send my app to 5 additional schools? (And DAT scores).. Any schools in particular? I don't think I applied to Temple since my cousin went there and he had a horrible experience (not the academic part, but living in Philly and also having horribly irresponsible patients) ...but maybe I should apply there.

Thanks very much for your help and advice. Feel free to PM me as well :D

1. NYU (168)
2. Tufts (121+52, they are gradually adding 52 additional seats by 2011 as part of the Vertical Expansion Initiative.)
3. Temple (98)
4. Boston University (91)
5. Midwestern AZ(82)
6. Creighton (79)
7. Louisville (76, they added 35 more OOS seats this year)
8. Pittsburgh (72)
9. Western (64 total)
10. Maryland (57)
11. USC (55)
12. Case Western (50)
13. Buffalo (48)
14. Virginia Commonwealth (45)
15. Nova (43)
16. Michigan (42)
17. Marquette (40)
18. Indiana (30)
19. Detroit Mercy (27)
20. Midwestern IL(Unknown)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • I just took the DAT a week or so ago. I got like a 16 about 8 years ago. This time I got 20AA, 18TS. (23 reading, 23 gchem, 21 pat, 19 math, 19 ochem, 15 bio........ -_-
Do you think I'll need to retake the DAT? I could go into more detail about my scores and how I prepared. The 15 on the bio was a big shocker. I was doing much better in practice tests.. I also expected to do better in PAT, and math..

• I think I have a pretty strong personal statement and why I have focused myself and committed to dentistry after all these years of working.
  • I've applied to the top 5 or so schools on the popular list on this board:
  • I based my apps on number of OOS seats.
  • I just sent in my application recently.
  • I had horrible GPA more than 7-8 years ago when I graduated from college. I think maybe science GPA of around 2.5 and overall about 2.85
  • Starting last summer I've been retaking classes - I think I have about a 3.4GPA since then.
  • I'm working part time and continuing to take classes this term including biochem, but biochem is the only upper div science class I've taken/started to take. The only series I haven't *re*-completed yet is Physics - which I will have done at least by the end of this summer.
Does it make sense to apply to more schools? I REALLY want/need to get in for 2013... Money is not really an issue if it means reasonably increasing my chances as I'm sure many of you would agree-- Should I send my app to 5 additional schools? (And DAT scores).. Any schools in particular? I don't think I applied to Temple since my cousin went there and he had a horrible experience (not the academic part, but living in Philly and also having horribly irresponsible patients) ...but maybe I should apply there.

Thanks very much for your help and advice. Feel free to PM me as well :D

1. NYU (168)
2. Tufts (121+52, they are gradually adding 52 additional seats by 2011 as part of the Vertical Expansion Initiative.)
3. Temple (98)
4. Boston University (91)
5. Midwestern AZ(82)
6. Creighton (79)
7. Louisville (76, they added 35 more OOS seats this year)
8. Pittsburgh (72)
9. Western (64 total)
10. Maryland (57)
11. USC (55)
12. Case Western (50)
13. Buffalo (48)
14. Virginia Commonwealth (45)
15. Nova (43)
16. Michigan (42)
17. Marquette (40)
18. Indiana (30)
19. Detroit Mercy (27)
20. Midwestern IL(Unknown)

Hey hyogen,

I applaud you for your persistance in this field and I believe adcom will see this when they evaluate your credentials..

However, I would suggest you wait another year and keep working on those grades and definitely retake your DATs (the 15bio is a killer since most schools have a 17 cutoff - I've only seen a few exceptions where ppl got in with it, can happen but rare)

2nd, it's a bit late in the cycle already. Your DAT score will be updated in a couple of weeks, but what about you AADSAS application? have you got it all ready? LORS and other things submitted?

3rd, since you took classes awhile ago, you have to make sure if they are even still good. I think some schools dont take classes that have been taken awhile ago.

Sorry i'm being harsh, but I'm just trying to help another non-trad student get through this process. Your best bet will be to apply early next cycle, after retaking DAT and finish that physics + additional classes to boost GPA.

Hey hyogen,

I applaud you for your persistance in this field and I believe adcom will see this when they evaluate your credentials..

However, I would suggest you wait another year and keep working on those grades and definitely retake your DATs (the 15bio is a killer since more schools have a 17 cutoff - I've only seen a few exceptions where ppl got in with it, can happen but rare)

2nd, it's a bit late in the cycle already. Your DAT score will be updated in a couple of weeks, but what about you AADSAS application? have you got it all ready? LORS and other things submitted?

3rd, since you took classes awhile ago, you have to make sure if they are even still good. I think some schools dont take classes that have been taken awhile ago.

Sorry i'm being harsh, but I'm just trying to help another non-trad student get through this process. Your best bet will be to apply early next cycle, after retaking DAT and finish that physics + additional classes to boost GPA.

2nd this. sorry mate

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate it. Any one else? :(

Adsaas app is already done and submitted. All done a few days ago. So far I've retaken almost all the pre-req courses including G.chem, ochem, bio, and now doing physics.

I appreciate it. Any one else? :(

Adsaas app is already done and submitted. All done a few days ago. So far I've retaken almost all the pre-req courses including G.chem, ochem, bio, and now doing physics.

submitted. so is the GPA verified? LORs all in?

not verified yet. but I'm pretty sure I followed instructions to a T for the application. LOR are all in..

If I have to reapply next year - do i need to get new LORs??? I'm guessing I'll want to modify my personal statement...but is that even necessary/desirable?

Your main problem right now is that you will automatically be rejected from most schools because you either do not meet their minimum GPA (2.75 for some, 3.0 for most), or their minimum DAT scores (17 minimums across the board). Your recent GPA is above their minimums, but unfortunately it gets lumped in with your past GPA for the calculations. As asdfray noted above, people do get in with scores below the supposed minimums occasionally, but it is certainly the exception to the rule and a very rare one at that.

If you reapply next year, you will need to have the LORs resent. However, you will be able to transfer the grades/transcripts from this year's application, so you don't have to spend time/money getting all of that in. You'll still have to send in updated transcripts for any coursework you have done since then, of course.

You don't necessarily have to update your personal statement if you don't feel like you need to. The main thing you need to do between now and then is continue to improve your GPA (I'll be perfectly honest with you - you need to get all As from this point forward), and retake the DAT. If you can afford it, I would look into a Special Masters Program. It's the best way to show adcoms that you can handle a dental school curriculum.